Goulds Monitor Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So my husband has fallen in love with monitors! (finally!!! i have been trying to get him interested in reps for 2 yrs now)

He has his heart set on a Goulds. i have found a basic care sheet, but not much else on them, so i have a few questions:

*What size enclosure do they need?

*Are they a good starter monitor, if purchased young?

*How often do they need to be fed?

Any pics of yours and/or your enclosures would be great!

Thanks!

Sandies are very cool little critters. Very pretty monitors too, especially flavis. I've never owned them but I've owned a couple of monitor species now. They are meant to be a good starter for someone looking to get big monitors in the future because they're the biggest of the R1 species. I think they settle down a bit as adults too but just remember that no monitor is really great for cuddles like people like to do with pythons.
They need a fair bit of room, especially because they are terrestrial so floor space is more important than height. I can't remember exact numbers but bigger is better with monitors.
Youngsters need to be fed every 2-4 days and can be reduced to every 5-7 days as adults. The good thing about bigger ones is they can be fed whole prey items mice and small size rats) but as youngsters they need insects which obviously need to be dusted every couple of feeds.

thanks sax! I was just about to get hold of you on FB if i didnt get a response soon!

would an outdoor enclosure be ok? i dont have that much room in the house.

they make good first monitors, alittle shy at first but settle in very well. gouldi grow to about 4-5 foot and flavi's about 3 foot. so they are not huge. care is the same as most of the larger monitors.
here one of my flavi's
038.jpg

they make good first monitors, alittle shy at first but settle in very well. gouldi grow to about 4-5 foot and flavi's about 3 foot. so they are not huge. care is the same as most of the larger monitors.
here one of my flavi's
View attachment 283502

Gorgeous! what is the best time of year to be looking for them Tristis? And what would an average price be on them?

So excited that hubby is finally starting to embrace my addiction!

I can vouch for Tristis' monitors - I have two from him (flavis) and they are awesome. Great little monitors.

I have one of Trist's as well he is my favorite out of my collection. He has also been a great help with follow up assistance.

No problem, I had been looking for about 8 months before I got mine and that seemed about average. Post some pics if you get one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back