Green Cheeked Conure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Went to the pet store today to pick up a heat lamp for my dragons arriving this arvo, and a green cheeked conure jumped out of its cage.. I picked it up and it ran up my arm and spent the rest of my visit there on my shoulder nibbling my hair/collar etc.. I absolutely fell in love and might like to purchase one own the track..

I would like to know a few things about their care in captivity. Does anybody have any? He seemed really affectionate.

What doe's it look like..............Better yet what the hell is it? lol

EDIT* Beaut bird!...you need to buy one!:lol:

They are goreous birds, I dont have any as yet.... Ive only got budgies, cockateils, ringnecks, plumheads, rosa bourkes, peachfaces and red rumps, have been meaning to get more but keep spending my money on reptiles etc lol

lol
they're cute
[video=youtube;cbrurxBsB28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbrurxBsB28[/video]

[video=youtube;cQiqzc0ORQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQiqzc0ORQ4[/video]

i have one as well as a sun conure, awesome littl epets can get a bit annoying after time though in the way of if u wanted 5 minutes peace when u get home..... not gonna happen lol mine used to chase the dog, now he rides on her back lol

I have a green cheek conure. She is very smart and is quiet most of the time. They MUST have a area to snuggle in to sleep, such as those bird beds, and love toys. They do best alone in my experience, and are well recommended.

they are gutzs :) very easy to get eating roudy bush pellets

they are one of the quietest conures and also one of the most affectionate(second to the Nanday - personal oppinion), they are loving and super smoochy. If you want to buy one go to a breeder as pet shops make huge mare ups on birds. They are awsome birds.

I dont understand people feeding their birds pellets?, fresh fruit and veg with seed is the best diet for them its like feeding kids Maccas everyday!

lol im confused do you mean feeding seed is like maccas everyday because yes you are right it is. rather pellets and fresh fruit and vegies is much much better for them.

very smart birds which make great pets if you spend alot of time with them. im in the process of handraising five of the little fellas at the moment if anyones after any they will be for sale.
cheers
chris

lol im confused do you mean feeding seed is like maccas everyday because yes you are right it is. rather pellets and fresh fruit and vegies is much much better for them.

I mean pellets are like maccas, people think that once they start their parrot on pellets thats all they need, seed - fruit and veg and some egg and bicky(every now and then) is a perfect diest for any parrot. I even give mine a meal worm or 2 every now and then they key is variety and making it a task for them - I hied food for them in their toys and hang fruit from the roof of their cage to make them work for it and they love it.

Any of the conure family is a good choice

I dont understand people feeding their birds pellets?, fresh fruit and veg with seed is the best diet for them its like feeding kids Maccas everyday!

Seed is very deficent in most vitamins, and is considered by top avian vets to be a poor diet choice. Pellets are best as you know they are getting the correct balance of vitamins and minerals. With South American species, like conures I would give them sunflower seeds and nuts, as these are found native in South America and they can cope with the high fat content.Seed for Aust birds is just too high in fat, and is just nutritionally useless.

Seed is very deficent in most vitamins, and is considered by top avian vets to be a poor diet choice. Pellets are best as you know they are getting the correct balance of vitamins and minerals. With South American species, like conures I would give them sunflower seeds and nuts, as these are found native in South America and they can cope with the high fat content.Seed for Aust birds is just too high in fat, and is just nutritionally useless.

Fresh produce always exceeds things we make and think are good for animals - pellets are a lazy way out as fresh fruit and veg along with other things is a propper diet

I mean pellets are like maccas, people think that once they start their parrot on pellets thats all they need, seed - fruit and veg and some egg and bicky(every now and then) is a perfect diest for any parrot. I even give mine a meal worm or 2 every now and then they key is variety and making it a task for them - I hied food for them in their toys and hang fruit from the roof of their cage to make them work for it and they love it.

Any of the conure family is a good choice

a good pellet such as roudy bush served with fresh vegies and fruit depending on species is all they need there is no need to feed high fat seed, even with seed and fruit and vegies you still see birds with fatty livers i have treated many. granted the sunflower seed is the main culprit but birds love their lollies and wont eat their vegetable if they fill up on lollies and seed is the lolly.

Fresh produce always exceeds things we make and think are good for animals - pellets are a lazy way out as fresh fruit and veg along with other things is a propper diet

that statement has been proven wrong in so many scientifically formulated animal foods

a good pellet such as roudy bush served with fresh vegies and fruit depending on species is all they need there is no need to feed high fat seed, even with seed and fruit and vegies you still see birds with fatty livers i have treated many. granted the sunflower seed is the main culprit but birds love their lollies and wont eat their vegetable if they fill up on lollies and seed is the lolly.

funny because my birds would pick things like a grape or hard boiled egg over seed! so your saying you have to suppliment a diet because they cant get what they need out of fresh produce? wow how do they survive in the wild?

Im not trying to say that pellets are not good or they dont have a place in a parrots diet all im saying is ita abase not a staple - I have seen people who were told to feed their parrot pellets and that all they feed it! they need variety and a mixture of foods

formulated diets, though well balanced, do not provide the variety and stimulation that many pet birds crave in their diets (after all, eating the same thing day after would be boring for anyone). Therefore, pellets can be considered the "base" of the birds diet, comprising 50-60 percent of what the bird eats.

Last edited:
funny because my birds would pick things like a grape or hard boiled egg over seed! so your saying you have to suppliment a diet because they cant get what they need out of fresh produce? wow how do they survive in the wild?

simple fact is nothign you give your birds will compare to waht they get in the wild. secondly i am sick of the stupid but in the wild argument.. they are not in the wild and in the wild often the food isnt as good as what we can supply. jeese i'm going to adopt a homeless child and feed it rubbish and rats because thats what it ate in the wild.

Im not trying to say that pellets are not good or they dont have a place in a parrots diet all im saying is ita abase not a staple - I have seen people who were told to feed their parrot pellets and that all they feed it! they need variety and a mixture of foods

formulated diets, though well balanced, do not provide the variety and stimulation that many pet birds crave in their diets (after all, eating the same thing day after would be boring for anyone). Therefore, pellets can be considered the "base" of the birds diet, comprising 50-60 percent of what the bird eats

OK OK don't argue guys. The only thing I remember from my bird nutrition lectures was the following (as it was repeated over and over and over).

SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS. SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS. SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS ...etc. He meant as a sole diet but boy he didn't let us forget it. He said seed can be incorporated but fresh fruit/veg and parrot pellets are a perfect diet.

There is an amazing amount of science involved in making a pelleted diet bundy, it is really very very good for animals. Better so, in many cases, than pure fresh produce.

EDIT: forgot to mention we're buying him tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back