Green Cheeked Conure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK OK don't argue guys. The only thing I remember from my bird nutrition lectures was the following (as it was repeated over and over and over).

SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS. SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS. SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS ...etc. He meant as a sole diet but boy he didn't let us forget it. He said seed can be incorporated but fresh fruit/veg and parrot pellets are a perfect diet.

There is an amazing amount of science involved in making a pelleted diet bundy, it is really very very good for animals. Better so, in many cases, than pure fresh produce.

EDIT: forgot to mention we're buying him tomorrow.

lol you wont remember it unless it is repeated three times phil.

congrats pm the green cheek, they are great little birds and full of personality plus! we have 5 of them and they never stop amusing me. they are very demanding on time but so worth it, they are super sneaky but we have one that has worked out how to open a 2 latch door, my galah has not done that yet and he is pretty switched with things. have fun with him/her.

and not to get too involved with the whole seed, pellet, fresh thing .... too much anyhow, but as mentioned pellets have come a very long way in the last 15 years, roudybush for example is an excellent food source and in JMO a far better food souce than seed and fresh, also as mentioned "seed is bad", mind you too much fresh is not so hot either, as some fresh doesnt have the right mix of vitimans required either, you dont see budgies in the wild eating carrot and celery all day, they pick seeds, bugs etc etc, ssssooooo prepaired foods like roudybush have been developed since about 1981, i think, to be a great all round processed and clean consistant food source, people like "brisbane bird vets" (who is very well respected in bird and vet circles in general) would not sell and reccomend it, for example if it was no good, and i say this comming from not a crazy bird breeder (not saying bird breeders are crazy mind you :) ) but a vet nurse of 10 years (and my wife for 9 years) and a bird keeper and pet shop owner as well.
so yes plenty of people feed seeds only, mostly due to poor knowledge, some do seeds and fresh, and some do good quality pellets also.
out of intrest when feeding roudybush (as this brand was mentined) there is no need to use grit or cuttlebones or other additives as you need to add to seed and fresh diet as the pellets already have these covered into their consistant balanced formulas, pretty neat right? (dont beleive check the roudybush web page for more information)

anyhow good luck withthe new family member :)
cheers
chris

I did heaps of research ages ago on conures and the green-cheek and nanday looked like good choices. Unfortunately I haven't got any as I only have a certain amount of space and decided to go with native birds. If I end up with enough room one day I will definately look into breeding some of the quieter conures.

you know what as no one is actually listning to what I said an instead just want to push the bad seed fact I will shut up!! I will how ever say that my birds are nutitionally balanced and have a wide variety of what they eat(yes pellets included, but not the stape just part of the mix)
So are you all saying that you only need to feed pellets? and thats all you feed you bird? if not then you bloody well agreeing with me!!!

OK OK don't argue guys. The only thing I remember from my bird nutrition lectures was the following (as it was repeated over and over and over).

SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS. SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS. SEED IS BAD FOR BIRDS ...etc. He meant as a sole diet but boy he didn't let us forget it. He said seed can be incorporated but fresh fruit/veg and parrot pellets are a perfect diet.

There is an amazing amount of science involved in making a pelleted diet bundy, it is really very very good for animals. Better so, in many cases, than pure fresh produce.

EDIT: forgot to mention we're buying him tomorrow.

Congratulations with your new member, you wont be dissapointed they are awsome birds and you will have heaps of fun with him - look froward to seeing some pics of him :)

you know what as no one is actually listning to what I said an instead just want to push the bad seed fact I will shut up!! I will how ever say that my birds are nutitionally balanced and have a wide variety of what they eat(yes pellets included, but not the stape just part of the mix)
So are you all saying that you only need to feed pellets? and thats all you feed you bird? if not then you bloody well agreeing with me!!!

i understood your argument. but mine was alot simpler, as i do think roudy bush pellets can be used as a staple diet, and if it came down to it a bird on just roudy bush pellets would be much better then a bird just on seed. , but yes it is great that you give your birds so much variety, but the majority of people out their do not. i deal with bird owners at work, and it would be a huge step just for me to be able to convert them onto roudy bush pellets.

Where can I find these roudy bush pellets? And can anybody give me a parrot diet recommendation?

i understood your argument. but mine was alot simpler, as i do think roudy bush pellets can be used as a staple diet, and if it came down to it a bird on just roudy bush pellets would be much better then a bird just on seed. , but yes it is great that you give your birds so much variety, but the majority of people out their do not. i deal with bird owners at work, and it would be a huge step just for me to be able to convert them onto roudy bush pellets.

Its not just about converting them it is also about getting the bird to eat it!, alot of people dont know how to look after animals, I mean I have a friend who got a lorikeet and was feeding it just seed(ohh my god big no no) and she could not understand that they have special diet requirements. I understand you saying that just seed is bad(as it is) and that a full pellet diet would be better for a bird than just seed but for me personally I like to know that my birds have more - they never know where their treats will turn up which gets them to forrage around their cage(one of their fav is hard boiled egg yolk - and they seem to find it quicker than anything else:) ). It is aggrivating because people get bird and think they are easy but infact they are a very hard animal to keep really healthy and stimulated.

Where can I find these roudy bush pellets? And can anybody give me a parrot diet recommendation?

any pet store that sells lots of birds should have them. they come in different sizes. i cant remember if they stock any of the pellets for when bob comes on tuesdays at the animal hospital they very well, might.

congrats on getting a greencheek :) we breed them and sun conures here.... GC's are probably the quieter out of the conures so you're lucky lol

Green cheeks are awesome!!! Although I am a little bias. Foodwise, fresh fruits and vegies are a must..as far as pellets versus seed goes, I would say either as long as the seed is a premium bird seed. Mine gets 3 different types of pellets plus the premium seed mix and fresh fruits and vegies. Avoid milk products as birds are lactose intolerant, chocolate, avocado, onion, apple seed, rhubarb and onion as they are VERY BAD for your birds...little bits of cheese occasionally is ok though. The reason mine are not on a full pelleted diet is that there hasnt been much long term research on pellets to know whatther they are good in the long run so thats why i have a bit of both.

I use tropican premium seed mix (small parrot), vetafarm pellets (the south american blend is good for conures), roudybush pellets and kaytees exact rainbow pellets. Fruit and veg is easy, just grapes (seedless), apple, strawberries, snow peas, peas, corn, celery, mulberries, rockmelon, water melon, and so on...they also love cooked rice too.

Green cheeks are known as the "quiet conure". They can be loud but they are not nearly as noisy as their Aratinga cousins like sun conures and jendays. They are very cute and playful and love scratches, some are known to lie on their backs. They will use up all the space in their cage by climbing around it and are very agile and clownish. When on your shoulder you need not worry about them falling off as they have very good balance and adjust to how you walk. Mine particularly loves ripping up paper and running over to snuggle for a scratch. A big cage is better for them but just make sure the bar spacing isnt too wide so they cant stick their head through it and get it stuck. They're just awesome birds so you have done well there.

Well we got him. He's just so full of energy and so playful. Going back to the pet store later to get some toys for him, so he doesn't die of boredom. At the moment there's only a sprig of millet in there and he has some small parrot mix. Will keep looking for parrot pellets, though my two stores don't seem to have it.. Also will give him fruit/veg.

Anyway here are the photos:
IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

He is adorable, congratulations!! what a little spunk. You will have lots of fun with him. People may disagree, but just make sure you share feeding and play time so he does not attach to just one of you as a protective conure is a fomidable creature :) (my husband has learned that one the hard way hahah)

Awww what a cutie!!!!! GCC are so awesome!!! What pet shops do you go too? What cage is that? I have the 604 like that, might have the same, maybe? We have lots of parrot toys at work. The best way to pick a toy is to take the bird with you and let it pick for itself. I have many a time spent X amount of dollars on toys that my birds wont go near but then when i take them in they'll pick the ugly cheap ones, as long as they like it...otherwise bits of paper and straws work. Does he have a name?

Oh and ditto too the letting other people play...overly bonded birds arent a good look...I palm mine off to anyone who will hold them to make sure they dont become possessive and aggressive. I let kids hold my girl at work, she's so sweet.

Will make sure that I share him around. Thanks for the advice. Will still have to find parrot pellets...

His name is Archie.

My pet store (true to form) only fed him seeds.. Does anybody know how I can wean him off seeds onto fruit and veg, as he didn't really give them a second glance.

Conures are bit like monkey see monkey do, so if you eat something, they usually want it, if you dont like fruit and vegies then just pretend to eat it, also let him be out with you while you are cutting it up. The might want to try it as they go. Corn, apple and grapes are my girls favourite. It may take a bit of time as he probably doesnt see them as food. Maybe stick some seeds in the fruit too. I would try switching him to a premium seed mix. Try get rid of the sunflower seeds cos you can use them as bribery and stick them in the fruit (sunflower seeds are high in fat). I use sunflower kernals to teach mine tricks. It's like chocolate to them lol. But yeah, just give it a bit of time, he'll catch on. Archie is such a cutie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back