Green Cheeked Conure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ditto to what courtz said about giving him something you're eating to get him on to fruit and veg. If you want to feed pellets you can make a damp mix of seed and pellets (50/50 mix) and roll it into a ball. Let it dry and give to him. As the weeks go on just reduce the amount of seed in the mix.

if u r looking for a super friendly birdie i recommend the quaker parrot as well, these little guys are amazing!!!
they are expensive though anywhere from $500 plus for a hand reared one and once again maybe look into getting a male :)

opp i just read that u got one
congrats :)
i still love quakers also though lol

Quakers are excellent talkers. Can be a bit agressive towards other birds but that's pretty much the only downfall with them...oh and they can get a little noisy but if you don't let them become overly bonded (they can get nasty when bonded) quakers make awesome pets too. It was between a quaker and an alexandrine for my first bought bird (had lots of birds but never bought by me), got the alex but quakers are such characters too. Green cheeks were always going to be my second bird.

if u r looking for a super friendly birdie i recommend the quaker parrot as well, these little guys are amazing!!!
they are expensive though anywhere from $500 plus for a hand reared one and once again maybe look into getting a male :)

They are amazing birds with the most unique noise, I had a blue quaker and she was the most delightful little princess, you can get a green(their natural colour) for around 200 - 250 and a blue for around 500-600 (once again pet shops will slug you more so go direct to the breeder). I would love to see a latino in the flesh one day but they are still a bit pricy hahah.

I find that all the conures that we have want to eat what ever we are eating so (as has already been said) try eating some fruit of veg and let him sit on your shoulder and see what happens, I also ound that if you make it a challenge for them(putting it in one of the treat toy hangers) they will be inclined to sus it out and have a nibble! good luck converting him :lol:

I have had a fair few birds and my all time fav is the Australian Plumheaded parrot - talk about loving, fun, and full of character these birds are awsome(but then again so is every other bird;))

Last edited:
I bought him 'Exact' rainbow parrot/conure food. Following the instructions on the back to wean him onto that instead of pure seed diet. Thanks for the tips on how to get him onto fresh fruit/veges - I will make sure I try that. You guys have been a great help, but I'm sure I'll have even more questions to ask you soon.

He is super friendly and went to choose his own toys at the pet store - dad is in LOVE with him (which is good because he is getting sick of my zoo constantly growing).

I heard they quite like water? Do these guys lean to talk at all?

I got him for $250 and he is 8 weeks old, hand reared.. Is that a rip off or OK?

I bought him 'Exact' rainbow parrot/conure food. Following the instructions on the back to wean him onto that instead of pure seed diet. Thanks for the tips on how to get him onto fresh fruit/veges - I will make sure I try that. You guys have been a great help, but I'm sure I'll have even more questions to ask you soon.

He is super friendly and went to choose his own toys at the pet store - dad is in LOVE with him (which is good because he is getting sick of my zoo constantly growing).

I heard they quite like water? Do these guys lean to talk at all?

I got him for $250 and he is 8 weeks old, hand reared.. Is that a rip off or OK?

Not at all for a pet shop thats not a bad price(you could have gotten cheaper from a breeder, but he seems like a little darling!!) They love water - bath time is so fun, my sunnie takes me for a bath too. Im not sure on the talking part but I know sunnies and Nandays are more mimickers than talkers but they will talk if you put the time in to them.
Also it is good to get in the habit of NO-NO time - which is when they are bad they go in their cage for a minute, as all conures are highly strung and can often take the dominant position which is bad news for you haha. With smart birds comes heaps of fun and challenges :lol:

Vetafarm pellets are good to
They are the best IMO. I use the maintenance one and the breeders pellets for my larger parrots.

I have always only used pellets as a base diet for my parrots and have had no problems with not providing them enough nutrition from them. I also provide fresh fruit and vege. There is alot of waste with seed but with pellets there is none. In some cases my birds will pick the pellet out over the seed.

They have been made to have all the essential vitamins and minerals that a bird needs for a main diet and feeding my birds certainly dont stop mine from breeding. Actually my eckies just went down the other day.

I am expecting my conures and quakers to do the same when it warms up a bit more.

You are right about the nandays bundy in being the best out of the conures. IMO they are the best as well. My adult pair althought wild will happily let you pat them through the aviary.

Cameron

A lot of birds love water. Just give it a go and see how he likes it. My lorikeets go swimming in a big water bowl every couple of days. My galahs love to be misted or bathe themselves in the spray of the shower. The galahs are going to get a perch that sucks on to the shower wall so they have somewhere to hold onto as they are not as graceful as lories or conures.

Just made him a little swing, which he enjoys. Trying to work out how to get maximum use of all the space in his cage.

Can you guys post photos of your cages to see what kind of decore you use?

At the moment he is just picking his seeds out from around the new food.. Hmmm

All i use for decor mate. Is either natural perches or dowel perches. I find natural to be better for thier feet and posture. As for toys an things like that i dont tend to have many in my breeding avairies but any bird toy would be ok. They usually get hours of fun from the toys where you can lock treats in them and let the bird try and get the treat out. This is what i do sometimes.

Cameron

Vetafarm pellets are good to

yes they are, as for where to get, if your around brisbane, we have them, aspley pet centre, 1297 gympie road aspley, just near the robinson road lights, 38628852, we have roudybush, vetafarm and passwells - all pellets and crumbles and sizes of bags. and a hand taime blue quakers and green checks as well for a shameless plug :)

cheers
chris

Condrats on your new addition.
This is one of the green cheeks that one of my work mates is handrearing at the moment.
They are great little birds

Last edited:
yes they are, as for where to get, if your around brisbane, we have them, aspley pet centre, 1297 gympie road aspley, just near the robinson road lights, 38628852, we have roudybush, vetafarm and passwells - all pellets and crumbles and sizes of bags. and a hand taime blue quakers and green checks as well for a shameless plug :)

cheers
chris

How much for the quaker??????

He is absolutely great an a HUGE hit with everyone. I bought him a bird toy, which he doesn't look at (even though he liked it in the store).. However he did decide to play with a toothpick for half an hour.. Hmmm..

He is still picking his seeds out from his pelleted food, and isn't interested at all in fresh fruit/veges. Starting to worry. When we had him out, I broke up a little pellet (these ones I have are quite colourful) and he picked up the bits.. It looked like he was trying to husk it though, so it just cracked into smaller and smaller bits. Not sure what to do.

Have patience and persevere. I got a galah from pure seed to pellets and fruit and vege. It took a little while (a few weeks) but got there eventually. He'd eaten a seed-only diet all his life before - fortunately he was only 18 months old so it wasn't too tough a habit to break.

This guy is only 8 weeks old so it shouldn't be too bad to get him going.

This morning I put him on the kitchen bench as I diced up carrot, apple, celery, cucumber, passionfruit etc and he was happy to try bits. Liked carrot and apple, but wasn't a huge fan of the other stuff. I combined it into a yummy salad and put a teaspoon or so of his seed mix in as well... He's getting through it nicely and starting to work out that apple doesn't need husking!

The pellets are in a different bowl and he isn't keen.. Maybe I'll combine the pellets and fruit tomorrow??

Just wanted to say thank you VERY much for all your help guys!!

I also use vetafarm pellets for my eclectus :D he loves 'em

As you are in Brisbane Phil ...Pet City at Mt Gravatt stocks Roudybush. I am sure there are others that do as well.

Cheers Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back