Green Cheeked Conure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i would also agree. Mine are very friendly and are hardly ever handled. They are a super bird but what they make up for with thier friendliness they let you down with thier loud screeches. Arghhhhh.

Cameron

Hahaha, yeah they can be load, but I like their sound :D, such amazing birds.

Sounds like things are goin well Phil. Congrats.

Not sure if you read the whole thread, but I mentioned that he is an absolute sweatheart, and hops onto fingers left right and centre. Every now and again he will go crazy monkey on me and go for my ears/fingers/whatever is nearest.. It's deifnitely not a "I'm scared of people" reaction.

Also the pet shop treated this guy brilliantly. There was no rough handling or dumping on peoples shoulders. He was never in his cage because he kept escaping and pretty much had free roam of the pet shop. Both times I came to see him I had to look for him haha. The moment anybody puts their hand near him he will jump right onto it and that included the pet shop staff.. That's why I chose him. Because he seemed so friendly and great (and he is).

Anyway he is already getting better. Now when he goes crazy he gets 2 minutes in a cardboar box which he really doesn't like. The I get him out of the box and reward him if he is good for the first minute.. The behaviour is already subsiding.

Good to hear the little fella is going well Phil.

I would avoid putting him into a cardboard box when he is "going crazy". Just pop him back into his cage and leave the room for a few minutes. It does the trick. If he hates the cardboard box, and you keep putting him in there, he will learn to distrust you.

He sounds just like my girl, all smoochy then suddenly "wham" going for everything. They get overstimulated, so I put her back on her cage (she has an open top one) so she can go in and eat, or sit on the top and watch whats going on.

If you get him a shallow dish (I used a little dog food bowl from the $2 shop) he will bath himself daily, they love bathing, and its pretty essential for these ones to have access to a water dish for a bath. Mine used to get in there at 8 am on winter mornings :shock: lol

With him trying to get off your shoulder, he may have been trying to get off so he could poop.
My girl always flew onto the ground if she had been on my shoulder to poop. Its good they can get off your shoulder and go and explore, so make sure he can do that and isnt getting bitey with you if you dont let him off there.

They love shredding paper too, so you can give them a little white bag with some (unsalted) popcorn in there (twist the top) or other treats (almonds) and put that in the cage and keeps them occupied (foraging) to shred the paper and get the treats.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back