Growing scrub python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustypython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 month old scrub python and want to grow the sucker big enough to eat me when I reach old age. :) Anyone got any tips, python is in a large enclosure, has access to heat to keep it at 30 degress constantly if he needs to, and feeding him weekly. I figured lean weiner rats at the moment would be good for him, high in calcium and lower in fat. Parent it come from was about 20ft long so want to play my cards right. Cheers.

G'day rusty,

True 20 foot Scrub Pythons would be the biggest on record. There are lots of anecdotal stories but there's never been a confirmed measurement of 6 metres of more.

Regardless, grow your Scrub like any other snake. Remember that these are potentially very dangerous snakes that can not be trusted. They are theoretically more dangerous than any venomous snake. Play your cards right mate, stay alive!

The guy i brought it off took the parent (Dad) out to have a look, it was massive we measured up 4.5m with it partly "s" shaped, he swore black and blue it was 20ft, I wasnt getting to close, Apparently it is about 15 year old. Definitely cannot trust it, it is agressive as hell.

Does bird feeding make any different??? aka day old chickens

It would have to have been quite an S shape to turn 4.5 metres into more than 6 metres. As Johnno has stated if it is truly 20 feet than it is a record maker. He should get some people to help him truly document its length for the record books.

Was reasonable nothing exception, still was a big snake gave me the willies

Sorry was exceptionally big, head was bigger than my clenched fist, not that i have big hands

Big and snappy as hell, mmm I will take my chances with vens. Do love scrubbies though.
I have a big bredli and she has only eaten rats and no hyperfeeding or anything. 6yo and only bred for first time last year so maybe this was a factor.
I read that a snakes growth is determined by its eating pattern in the first six months after hatching. If eating well it will grow big, if it does not have a feed, or decent feed in first six months, it will be a shorter snake regardless of increased food supplies later.

Gday mate hey just wondering who you got the scrubby off?? Mum and dad to the Hatchies I have are only around 12- 14ish foot they are still resonably young..
Like all snakes they will only grow as fast as they are fed but as like all snakes you shouldent over do it JMO
I also compleatly agree with what Jonno said

lewy

I have to say you sound like a bit of a goose rustypython - first your enquiry about importing a Reticulated python - if you have the experience you truly need to manage something like a large Scrubby, you would know that privately (and legally) obtaining a Retic is not in the ballpark in this country.

Sounds much more like an ego trip to me...

Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back