Grrrr!! Bloody cats!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i pity the bluey that wanders through someones yard with contained in yard dogs,even the odd possum that thinks it may take a short cut across said back yard

im not saying you in general,just saying dogs do it with equal,if not worse damage,plus there victoms come in way bigger packages,thats all,that lil skink u saw,ive seen hundreds of bluetongues with same damage ,some alot worse probably,remarkably some do make it

i wont even mention the amount of wildlife you see struggling in pain on roadsides,even seen folk purposefully go out of there way to run them over

your right ,people should take more responsibility of there pets,perhaps we would have less ferals to deal with,especially feral cats

well think of the amount or natives that end up road kill to automobiles,introduced automobiles as well as native ones,lol,should we place all the automobiles under house arrest to,wildlife isnt there natural diet either

op is grrrrrrrrrrrr ing at cats,otherwise thread would be grrrrrrrrrrrrrr sisters,i have 3 sisters,when im pissed at them i grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at them

all good blabbering on bout responsabilities of ownin cats,but some folk need to pull there heads in and do the same with everything else if they are going to hate on just cats,that to me is a joke,locking cats up is all good,but where do u stop,dogs under house arrest to,ban the driving of automobiles,tear all dwellings and give the bush back to the native animals

im not arguing pro cat or cat verses dog,im arguing it goes a hell of alot deeper than just cats,and if folk are so anti cat,why arent they the same with the rest if they are so for saving native wildlife,never seen a cat tear apart a black swan,but witnessed a pet dog do just that walking along a popular foreshore down here,maybe its easier to just blame cats

Perhaps I should have titled the thread more appropriately. I'm just a little bit over having to clean up the mess that those little bastards leave behind, when obviously my sister does not give a toss about the damage that they cause. I can't say I would have the same issues with MY dogs, because I wouldn't let it happen. I would however have the same issues if someone elses dogs were roaming the streets and wreaking havoc.

Yes, but some with pussies will tell you, when the pussy is let out and feels the fresh air and sunshine, it is not always easy to get them back under control again. You try to call them and get them to come inside but they wont ubtil they are ready :rolleyes:

The fact the pussy is disintigratus's's sisters, it is up to her to keep it under control, build a 'pussy aviary' to keep it in when it wants to go roaming and eating poor, unsuspecting wildlife.

Why should it be disintigratus's's responsibility? He would prolly get severely growelled at if he was always grabbing his sisters pussy.... she should take care of it herself, IMO :)

Disintegratus is a she:D and you're right, not only do I have no control over them, I also have no desire to grab any of my sister's pussies.

Guys if you cant keep it family orientated it will be moved ...

Thats right, I have come across a few feral pussies in my lifetime. Although I force myself to look into these as well (for scientific purpuss) which has gotten a bit out of hand at times.
As for doggy...... also very rough on pussies, possums, even smaller doggies & other wildlife. I once heard of a postman who was chasing pussy and ended up getting doggy instead. That is why energex and companies like that wanting to inspect fittings and stuff on your property ask if you have doggies on the property, because the employees doing the inspecting, obviously much prefer pussies to doggy. :rolleyes:

If you have a pussy, doggy.... ferret, sheep, goat..... it should be contained in some way... to protect natural wildlife, who are allowed to kill each other because it is thier environment that we are intruding on.....

Im fine with cats killing mice and rats since they can be pretty destructive to native animals as well as the flora, but when it leads to birds and lizards I get annoyed. Shame you cant train cats to only kill rodents and invasive species :(

But just as others have said, dogs can be way more destructive. My dads dog used to love "playing" roughly with bobtails until one got her bad on the nose which is a good thing. She hasn't killed one since.

I simply think all animals should have to be registered and maybe making it harder to buy them, for the simple fact so many dogs and cats go through shelters each year and are put down. As well as at dusk all animals have to be inside.

i pity the bluey that wanders through someones yard with contained in yard dogs,even the odd possum that thinks it may take a short cut across said back yard

im not saying you in general,just saying dogs do it with equal,if not worse damage,plus there victoms come in way bigger packages,thats all,that lil skink u saw,ive seen hundreds of bluetongues with same damage ,some alot worse probably,remarkably some do make it

i wont even mention the amount of wildlife you see struggling in pain on roadsides,even seen folk purposefully go out of there way to run them over

your right ,people should take more responsibility of there pets,perhaps we would have less ferals to deal with,especially feral cats

Yes, I agree. My backyard is not a hospitable place for native wildlife, and I make no attempt to make it attractive to natives for exactly that reason, even though I doubt my dogs would intentionally kill anything.

It's more that she knows what they are like, and has seen the remnants of what they destroy, and yet she won't do anything about it. So yes, it should be "GRRR sisters" but the cats are the ones doing the killing.

I refuse to pick them up and put them in the bin now. I leave them on the front porch/yard and let them rot, because it's not my responsibility, and she should be stepping up and doing something about the situation.

Oh, and just for the record, my biggest, 40-odd kilo of mongrel, will cry and hide behind me if one of my ferrets bites him. He also lays down and lets my pet rats run around all over him. I let my water dragon out in the lounge for a run around (bad idea, the little bugger's quick) and he literally weed himself a little bit and ran away. I think the biggest risk he poses to native wildlife is drowning them in urine while he runs away.

Last edited:
Responsible dog owners have thier dogs restrained at all times... either on a leash, in a dog proof yard or off the leash under supervision. Cat owners should do the same. Up here our Koalas are all but extinct... mostly thanks to dogs (and cars) They put signs up for car drivers, but dogs, unfortunately, cant read.

I hate it when people go out of thier way to run over animals, especially snakes! Karma... I always hope they will bust a tyre or something trying. I carry a hook and bag in my car and stop to get snakes off the road if I see them (in time)

back yard doesnt need to be hospitable for some type of native animal to wander through,thats what im trying to say,a bird my land in there,a lizard may pass through on its way to going elsewhere,u might be walking in a leash free area and they happen to cross paths with something,it happens,it has happened to me,even had a koala wander through once,barely any gums near by

and might be your sisters responsibility being her cats and all,but even if u only brought them in once,could have been that skink could still be doing its skinky thing,that possum could still be peeing on someones car from the overhanging tree

also your callering her cats bastards ect,yet sis is just irresponsible,sounds like grrrrr cats is the right thread name

Getting back to your sister, if she thinks it's okay for her cat to kill lizards, maybe you should explain to her that it goes both ways
and a tiger snake may just kill her cat.

Get one of those collars with a bell on it to help. They actually work reasonably well especially for birds and possums but not so much small things like skinks.

Getting back to your sister, if she thinks it's okay for her cat to kill lizards, maybe you should explain to her that it goes both ways and a tiger snake may just kill her cat.

That's very nearly what happened to a friend's wandering cat. She let the cat go where it wanted until it was bitten by a venomous snake and nearly died. Now she keeps it confined to the yard. Apparently, they've installed some things on the top of the fence that keep the cat from jumping over. Last time I asked it was working well. It's not quite as satisfactory as keeping the cat inside, but better than the previous arrangement.

dog proof yard isnt much chop,same with restricting cats to your own premises,they both harm plenty of wildlife with out having to leave the confines of ones property,dog proof yard may stop them getting out,and protect other dogs from getting in,but wildlife still can have free range

also even if that 40 kg wussy dog doesnt hurt a fly,what about the other 2,some people have said there 40 odd kilo pitt bulls wont hurt a fly either,then whammo

my dog used to be fine with a galah cruising the house,they become accustomed to your other pets,he was always fine with my reptiles to,but if he came across a bluey and it went in self defence mode,he would want to play with it,he even bit and shook one once when i was walking him,yes he was on a lead,first i knew the lizard was there was seeing it come out of his mouth,you can never rule it out

A bell might help for birds and possums, but snakes would be at quite a disadvantage.

back yard doesnt need to be hospitable for some type of native animal to wander through,thats what im trying to say,a bird my land in there,a lizard may pass through on its way to going elsewhere,u might be walking in a leash free area and they happen to cross paths with something,it happens,it has happened to me,even had a koala wander through once,barely any gums near by

and might be your sisters responsibility being her cats and all,but even if u only brought them in once,could have been that skink could still be doing its skinky thing,that possum could still be peeing on someones car from the overhanging tree

also your callering her cats bastards ect,yet sis is just irresponsible,sounds like grrrrr cats is the right thread name

Stop trying to argue with me, I agree with half the stuff you're saying!
I would bring the cats in myself, and I do when the situation allows it, but (surprise surprise) they dislike me intensely, and consequently run away when I call them or go near them.
And as for calling them bastards, notice also how I referred to my water dragon as a "bugger". I have also been known to refer to my dogs (whom I love dearly) as "massive ****heads", and to my ferrets as "idiotic ****ers". I've always been a great believer in "It's not what you say, it's how you say it". As long as I'm talking in a pleasant tone of voice to them, they wouldn't care what I called them.

Also, I don't walk my dogs off leash at all in suburbia. They are all well trained, and have good recalls, and are reliably trained to "leave it", but I simply do not trust anyone else around me, so I choose to put them at as little risk as possible.

Ooh a cat thread.
I'll just grab my popcorn and watch the show. You never know, this one may not end in the "usual way".

almost ended in the gutter till the mods nipped it in the bud from the looks of it

and back to the cat yes scare tactics may work, but not always. maybe uhh, try bonding with the little terror?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back