Gtp and heat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveandem2011

Reaction score
Hi guys, after picking up my new gtp on Friday I have been in contact with a friend of mine to show him pics of my new pride and joy:). And as he has a yearling gtp I was happy to be invited around to have a look at his snakes. But one thing that bothered me was how close one of his perches was to one of the lights,and that his snake had chosen to perch on this branch that is so close to the heat. When I asked what temp the snake was under he said around the 30 degree mark, but when I placed a thermostat probe half an inch from the snake it read 41.6 and I freaked out and told him to get a thermo to regulate this heat. His reply was if its too hot the snake will move. What are people's opinions on this

cheers Dave

How does he think snakes get burns all the time? A thermostat is a must. Every snake that has suffered burns from heating most likely had the chance to 'move off', but did they? No.

My enclosures are thermostatically controlled first and foremost. However, I do provide quite a thermal gradient; my greens range from 34 - 25.

His enclosure should be controlled by a thermostat but snakes will regulate their body temperature; the snake will move if it gets too hot (but if the whole enclosure is too hot the snake will probably overheat - he needs to have a cool end that the snake can escape to).

This is my opinion and what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back