GTP pricing 07--08?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i reckon they are like plasma televisons: take up heaps of energy, will probably get flogged, but i still want one.

you must admit that there are very few breeders of pure australians around, so many of the animals being offered are island types anyway. It is of my understanding that the red hatchies are more likely, i didnt say definately, to throw weird genetic colours into collections just by chance. However it is true that the australian animals do produce yellow bubs as far as my experience has been with them.

Yes Australian GTP's never produce red babies.

do poepel reckon they will eventualy get to the prive of a woma or somethign like that (talking 5 - 10 years down the track)

scorps :p

Yes definitely, it will take time of course but we can already see the downward trend as more and more people breed them. I did hear of someone having 10 breeding age females this season.

I would say that until further studies can be done on Australian gtps that yes they throw yellow bubs, but as it still seems to be a mystery y they are the colours they are as hatchies i wouldnt go accepting it as fact.
I believe that the future of australian herpetology will be in gtps and that eventually, probably within the next ten yrs that their prices will drop to say 1500 or so. But it can really only help the hobby allowing more people to keep these animals

I don't think there is too much doubt about it really, to my knowledge there has never been a red baby from a pure Australian GTP.

But its not like there are that many 'pure' australians being bred currently compared to other island types. So whos to say that later down the track, say even 10-15 yrs, a red baby is not produced by an Australian pair. Im saying as far as is evidenced their has never been a red, but that doesnt mean it cant happen.

I dont know why so many people are so defensive about red babies. I think they are heaps nicer (as babies and adults) that the "Australian" variety. I say bring on the GTP morphs and more genetic variety.

Well I guess that given how GTP's are bred together regardless of locale it is entirely possible a red baby could pop up.

Im interested. If we do not, as of yet, know why some hatchlings turn out red and y some turn out yellow how can u say for sure that two 100% pure australian animals can never produce a red offspring when all the island types have been known to.
As, to my knowledge, there are only 4 or 5 breeders of 'pure' australians out there that can prove the heritage of their animals beyond a doubt, there obviously has not been enough breeding done yet to even prove that australians always produce 100% yellows. It is true that if u start with yellow parents u get yellow offspring, the same with red, however i have had a friend, who could prove that his animals parents and grandparents were red produce 1 yellow offspring in a clutch. This was the first yellow in three generations of animals.
Now what is to stop an australian from producing a red?

But its not like there are that many 'pure' australians being bred currently compared to other island types. So whos to say that later down the track, say even 10-15 yrs, a red baby is not produced by an Australian pair. Im saying as far as is evidenced their has never been a red, but that doesnt mean it cant happen.

I'm sure plenty of reds will be produced by so called "aussie" gtp's down the track, unless it can be shown in the wild it will not count.

"unless it can be shown in the wild it will not count"

Now how much study is done on wild populations of australian gtps. not alot
They are in such a hard to reach area which is tightly controlled by NPWS have you ever just tried strolling in there for a look?
Its not easy to do, so unless a researcher finds one we will never know whether they occur in the wild or not neway.

Um ? did i miss somthing here ? since when did we start getting herps from over seas ?

"unless it can be shown in the wild it will not count"

Now how much study is done on wild populations of australian gtps. not alot
They are in such a hard to reach area which is tightly controlled by NPWS have you ever just tried strolling in there for a look?
Its not easy to do, so unless a researcher finds one we will never know whether they occur in the wild or not neway.

I understand that but with the amount of indo gtp's here, any so called aussie gtp's that throw red babies in captivity will always be viewed suspiciously, much like if someone claimed to have bred an albino jungle, only it will be much harder to tell.

There has been plenty of research done on Australian GTP's, I do know what you are saying but there has NEVER been a red baby produced by native GTP's. It is a bit like saying that 'pure' AngloSaxon parents could one day produce a Chinese baby. Exotic GTP's produce both yellow and green babies

But thats what i dont get, who says it cant be done?
There has been little to no research done into y australians seem to throw yellow bubs and y island types can, but it seems to have been accepted as law among the community that if the baby is red it could never be australian.

"There has been plenty of research done on Australian GTP's, I do know what you are saying"

As a snake yes but not into the genetic differences in colouration of bubs

If I remember correctly, I have seen a wildlife doco "Steve Irwin' If I remember where they found a yellow GTP hatchling up north, and then found a red phase in the same clutch of Bamboo. It stuck in my mind that here was a red phase in the wild on film for prosperity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back