GUilty till proven innocent...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slimy, unfortunately he will be found guilty of something regardless. The authorities could not - and would not - let him go without charging him. Recklessness - if this is a jailable offense, I should be in jail. I've done so many reckless things in my life :) I suppose it's what you define as being reckless..

Have you reckless adventures killed hundreds of people.......Id say not. And I never once said anything about his race being what makes him guilty. Its the people he associates with nothing to do with his race color or creed

Isis, I was only throwing a hypothetical situation out there :)

This thread is far too sensitive for me to give an opinion. Interesting views by all though...

guilty by assosciation, maybe were all guilty of murder. I mean someone has probably been murdered for somthing we wanted, whether its oil or crapy things made in china.

terrorism

i love all the references to in the name of the father as a comparison to this weeks situation with the gold coast doctor!
with almost 3,000 people killed in the troubles in northern ireland i am sure all their families would be happy to see any suspected terorists fully questioned and imprisoned until the truth is known. if this takes a week or two then so be it.
where do you draw the line with human rights, should all the associates of the 9/11 bombers have been let go on 12/9 because they weren't on the plane, or do the families of the dead deserve to expect fair justice for their loss.
yes, the suspects deserve the right to expect fair treatment but i also think the percentage of people wrongly detained is extremely small. for every david hicks and doctor mohamed haneef imprisoned awaiting questioning or trial there are hundreds or thousands put away every year for thier crimes.
no system is perfect but they do the best they can in our interests, and i think they deserve all the support we can give them. after all, it was a CORRUPT system that saw the guildford four put away in the first place, not just the system!

anyway, that's just part of my rambling opinion.

Well he has been charged now, let's see if he is convicted!

Terrorism brings with it the need to employ a dynamic approach to our Westminster system of Govt. Don't get me worng I am all for the respect of an individual's civil liberties, but if someone has to 'cool their heels' in the watch house for awhile until Police gather enough evidence or otheriwse so be it. Terrorists won't cut you or I any slack, so neither should we, and we all have no choice but to sacrifice some of our freedoms as a result. Don't balme the Govt or the Police for this, blame the idiots who kill innocents in the name of religion.

Its a big call to say its purely in the name of religion.

I think we would save more australian lives if we put all the energy and money that we are vesting into anti terrorism into drug and alcohol rehabilitation education and rehabilitation.

We are all so scared of being blown up but we all stand at a waaaaaaaaaaaay higher risk of being affected by adversly by drugs, alcohol, emo's etc.

precicely waruikazi, but helping "drugos" doesnt win votes, punishing them does.

2 points I'd like to make......first is that it is in fact the terrorist's that are racist not us. They are the ones who hate all 'westerners' due to the actions of a few. I dont give a stuff what colour you are but as they say if you ly with dogs you get fleas. So the people you associate with will reflect on you.
Two is everyone is crying racist over this incident but not too long ago the same thing happened to a 'white' school teacher up here in Brissie but I guess because he was white it is not as good for the media idiots to sensationalise.
jas

I dont give a stuff what colour you are but as they say if you ly with dogs you get fleas. So the people you associate with will reflect on you.
jas

Interesting... Just read a thread about a boa found in QLD on this forum. Turns out it was found during a drug bust. Does this mean all snake owners are druggies, or all druggies are snake owners ;)

Interesting... Just read a thread about a boa found in QLD on this forum. Turns out it was found during a drug bust. Does this mean all snake owners are druggies, or all druggies are snake owners ;)

I took panadeine once - it contains codeine :(

I won a snake (or two) too!

Ok - The references to In the Name of the Father - Were purely on the fact that these men were WRONGLY imprisoned for an act they didn't commit, but they were Irish. The similarity here is this man perhaps didn't actually commit a crime any more than you jay walking to see your cousin on the other side of the road.

Secondly - As far as terrorist being racist... I see your point, and yes, it does appear to be a hate crime.

But i never ONCE felt sorry for Hicks other than his treatment. If what he did was in fact sympathise with terrorists (or what ever the actual charge was) then he deserved to go down for the crime. But he didn't deserve that detention he got with no actual charge - again, do we know the whole story???

And isn't Hicks a whitey too?

Now, if I gave my car keys knowingly to a drunk person to drive my car I'd say I'm guilty of recklessness - even if he doesn't kill someone on the way home.

But this is no worse than a friend letting a friend drive home after a few drinks - is it?

This reckless charge sounds a bit like a joke - What it does sound like is a charge laid with minimal evidence in order to keep the prisoner on Australian shores until they can find new evidence to bring him to trial. Even if he is found guilty of recklessness - did he actually have ANY part in the failed bombing attempts? That's going to be a tough one for a jury to work out. So I will be very keen to see or hear about all the evidence that they have against this man.

The world can sleep easy for just one more night at least :) (well, our world anyhow)

Well I dont quite see your logic here, but what I meant is that if you associate with criminals expect to get in trouble with the law. The whole drugie/snake thing is irrelevant.

Oh and I was not refering to HICKS, there was another Brisbane school teacher who was charged about 1 year ago (with bombs etc) . Guess it may not have even made news down south as he was just a white guy, but if he was middle eastern I'm sure the media would have made a circus out of it as usual.
jas

Oh and I was not refering to HICKS, there was another Brisbane school teacher who was charged about 1 year ago (with bombs etc) . Guess it may not have even made news down south as he was just a white guy, but if he was middle eastern I'm sure the media would have made a circus out of it as usual.
jas

I dont really think it matters what colour your skin is!!! Most of the IRA members would have white skin, they still get publicity!!!

:D
Well I dont quite see your logic here, but what I meant is that if you associate with criminals expect to get in trouble with the law. The whole drugie/snake thing is irrelevant.

I wasn't trying to be logical. Only throwing another hypothetical out there. Let's say it was one of your relatives who got busted with the boa and only days before you loaned them your mobile or sim card as theirs got stolen. Imagine your surprise when the police arrest you saying you were implicated in the trafficking of drugs (because your phone had been traced to a drug transaction) - and worse still, while you are in jail awaiting a charge to be laid, Parks and Wildlife drop round your house and confiscate all your snakes because of your association with exotic reptiles. Where do we draw the line?

:D

I wasn't trying to be logical. Only throwing another hypothetical out there. Let's say it was one of your relatives who got busted with the boa and only days before you loaned them your mobile or sim card as theirs got stolen. Imagine your surprise when the police arrest you saying you were implicated in the trafficking of drugs (because your phone had been traced to a drug transaction) - and worse still, while you are in jail awaiting a charge to be laid, Parks and Wildlife drop round your house and confiscate all your snakes because of your association with exotic reptiles. Where do we draw the line?

I think selling drugs and being involved with a terrorist is slightly different!!! He is Involved that is known!!! but that does not mean he has done anything wrong!!! but he may have, and I want them to investigate that very carefully! and these things take alot of time!!!

I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils, terrorism or drug trafficking. Both terrorists and drug traffickers kill with no regard to the victims. I think drugs kill many more people than acts of terrorism. I agree he should be investigated thoroughly and if he is found guilty, punished harshly.

yes drugs are a massive problem!!! but they only affect people who choose to be affected(except for users families ofcourse)
I choose not to use drugs therefor they will not kill me (unless a drugie stabs me for my 5 bucks)
but terrorists choose who they kill most if not all of them innocent!!!
BUT yes drugs are a huge problem i should of worded my post different!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back