Guy at SA Venom Supplies Bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/health/milking-with-a-bite-to-it/2005/09/22/1126982153524.html

^ Says there are only two nenom farms in Aus (article is 2 years old) so i'd guess it'd be rather difficult.

They'd want to pay them well... ;)

PRICE OF POISON
At Venom Supplies:
 A gram of brown snake venom costs $1560.
 Poison from a death adder costs $1830.
 Black tiger snake venom costs $650.
 Toxin from a snub-nosed viper costs $3890.

I thought calling snakes venom 'poison' was technically incorrect?

off topic sort of, but whats the difference between anti-venom, and anti -venine?

Antivenin was the original name for Antivenom...somewhere along the line they changed the name

I dunno, but if you buy a gram and put it in your hubbies drink, you'd be considered having poisoned him, not envenomated him. :)

(Note: not sure if spiking a drink with venom would work - I guess it would but someone else could confirm.)

That's a myth which snake keepers love to spread, amusingly, this myth is often brought up by snake people during discussions where they are attempting to dispell myths about snakes which are propagated by non snake-enthusiasts. Venom is a more precise word and a better one to use, but poison is still correct. The justification used by those who spread the myth (almost invariably believing it themselves) is that you can ingest snake venom without it harming you, so "surely it's not poisonous, like a toadstool", but any substance which can cause harm through a chemical process is a poison, so clearly, snake venom does indeed count. Interestingly, most dictionaries mention snake venom under their entries for 'poison'.

Antivenom and antivenene are two names for the same thing. Both names are commonly used.

If you read back you'll see Tatelina 'bumped' it up.

Yeah, I was surprised to see it resurrected! When I saw it active I thought someone else had been bitten! At first I was also surprised to see you'd posted a thread; I haven't seen you active for a while! (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough!).

I saw the 'no such thing as a poisonous snake' myth pop up and couldn't help jumping in :p Snake people are compulsive myth busters you see ;)

Yeah Sdaji still around. Had a go at Adelaide peeps and their darn gardens and watering a week or so ago. I think the post was It Never Rains but it Poors or something like that. Cheers Cheryl

what's with the sudden trend of reviving threads that are three months old?

what's with the sudden trend of reviving threads that are three months old?

Maybe because they missed it first time round and thought it was interesting? ;)
Besides I often don't check when people post if I come across threads randomly.
falconboy said:
I dunno, but if you buy a gram and put it in your hubbies drink, you'd be considered having poisoned him, not envenomated him.

(Note: not sure if spiking a drink with venom would work - I guess it would but someone else could confirm.)
I'm sure an expert will correct me if I'm wrong...but I think if you have ulcers along your digestive track anywhere and the venom enters your blood stream...that's when it starts affecting you like it's intended too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back