Haggling. Do you do it or do you hate it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i'm paying cash and it's a large amount I may try but I generally detest Haggling. Have had hagglers in the past try and we say "Yes, we will do a discount if you spend over $100 and pay cash" then the moron's come back with $30 bucks of stuff and a credit card and want a discount! Some prices are negotiable but I've found most arent. If I can't afford the price on the tag I don't ask!

Only haggle with stuff like cars. I wouldn't haggle on anything cheap, cause it makes you look cheap =p.

I despise hagglers. You pay what the seller is asking, or you don't buy at all.

So you go into a car dealer buy a brand new car with no fuel in it....... Do you ask for them to fill it and ask how much a liter it was? Haggle or fairness is a completely different thing. places like jb hi fi mark up there prices to counter the slashed prices we get. Someone that dose no try to save some bucks is silly.

Cheers Brenton

Well when I selling car parts i always Put 20% more so when people ask I go sure u can have it for ......
But I always try to get the best deal
and I love markets
in the gold coast there Carrara markets I go up there some times and u can get up to 75% off if you walk away

Hell yeah! lol i dont pay full price for anything! exept for food etc lol. I love a bargain :p

I despise hagglers. You pay what the seller is asking, or you don't buy at all.

says who! lol seriously it depends on the seller. I have sold things cheap to people who haggled or as i prefer to say 'bartered' and i think pfft...what go's around comes around lol it feels good 2 get a BARGAIN :p i barter all the time the worst they can say is no.

Last edited:
I don't haggle with animals, food stuffs or jewellery. The rest is fair game and I love it. Beat a lady down $3k on my 4x4 3 years back and paid $19k where it was definitely worth $21k+. Best haggle to date so far for me. :lol:

when i was in England I had a family arrive to buy a staffy puppy from me. They started to haggle the price which was very fair and I asked them to leave. The bloke was really shocked....but i knew i had good pupies I didnt need to give him to a family like that !!

it depends on what it is. reptiles, no way. if it is some kind of small buisness or family run service then no i won't, but if it is a big corp like jbhifi or big w or whatever i will do some shopping around and see if i can get a better price. now when i start breeding and someone wants to haggle over the price of my animals i will not deal with them.

and the same thing goes for my photography, anyone wants to haggle over the price will very quickly be shown the door.
agree with all you said.
I dont haggle with reptiles and dislike people haggling over a fair price just for hagglings sake. I find it irritating and grossly rude if you have an advert selling a few animals and receive a private message "will you take $x?" usually theres no hello or thank you etc no reference to which animal they're refering to and if you think your price is fair for the particualr animal and quality but some "entrepenuer" wants to try and screw you for $10 to $50 just for the hell of it.. Especially the ones who try and tell you what they they want to pay and expect you to fold and give into them for fear of losing the sale types.. I just dont want or need these sorts as customers, its as simple as that. And nine times out of ten the haggler then goes into the next stage of admiting "they dont have the money right now.. but will have it in some future time period and wants you to hold the snake "as a favour" for a couple of weeks for some one you dont know who hassled to have the price reduced but didnt have any money in the first place..

If people want to haggle (especially over a fair price) thats their right, just as its my right to only sell to certain people and not sell to others. Its a two way street and haggle street is way over there in the housing commission projects.

If an animal is at a higher price than you may feel its worth or higher than what your prepared to pay, just politely move on to some thing else that fits your criteria and price.

Depends on the item and situation.
Of course I always try and get things cheaper at the $2 shop. Maggots never budge on the $2's though. Go figure :p

I think it is highly disrespectful to haggle over purchase of animals....just my opinion

I have sold things cheap to people who haggled or as i prefer to say 'bartered'

Barter is a method of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange such as money.

haggling is not barter.. its harrassing a seller to accept a lower price than the price on offer.

I usually pay the asking price. Even when answering ads for used cars and things.
If I'm a bit short then I settle for a cheaper product, I feel as if I'm depriving them of making a living lol
Only place I haggle on price is when shopping at Cabramatta. Everyone does it, my vietnamese friends tell me its to be expected lol

Last edited:
Depends on the situation. If I were buying, say, electrical appliances in bulk, absolutely. I've never done it with animals and I don't think I ever will, unless buying a large quantity. Haggling is traditional in some countries; having said that I'm acutely aware that I am rich compared to many people in developing countries, so I don't like to haggle them into the floor. So what if I save a few rupiah? It's small change to me but could make a meal for a family.

I have to say that when I was selling my car a few years ago, it infuriated me when people asked for my best price. I wondered if they seriously believed I was going to tell them! I held out for the price I wanted and got it.

i dont think theres anything wrong with it at all. i do it when buying reps off certain ppl coz i will generaly only go through breeders that i know and trust. but i dont expect something for nothing and even a little bit of a saving is better then nothing in my books

I love haggling (in a polite manner of course). I picked up a $380 laptop last week because of it! Yay! :)

Normally i ask if they would do cheaper if i take 3 or more or the lot usually works well. If they dislike it they can say no however 100% of the time they say yes. I do not "offer" usually they say okay buy 3 or 5 and i can do them for x price.

I have a mate who is the worst when it comes to haggling, lol.
He even used to create his own Dominos Pizza coupons with rediculous prices and argues with em on the phone lol. Since they started using voucher codes he hasn't been able to do it.
And you'd be surprised at how often he got away with paying 1/4 price lols.

After a while the franchisee owner would be the one to deliver the pizzas to him and demand to see the coupons. He would how him coupons edited in photoshop, lol, watta character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back