Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tempest

Reaction score
Just wondering if you could all share your opinions with me on handling my Diamond Python hatchling. I got him on Saturday and handled him on both Saturday and Sunday, however Sunday night after exploring his vivarium he retreated to his log and hasn't come out since (well, that I've seen anyway). What I was wondering was, can I lift the log off of him so I can get him out or should I wait til he ventures out from under it of his own accord? I don't want to harm him in anyway by disturbing him in his hide. He had his first meal with me last night (am I ever going to get used to dead mice? :shock: ewwww) so I won't be getting him out for a few days yet. What do most people tend to do, take them out of their enclosure with a hook or by hand? Hopefully these questions don't come across as too stupid!

I'd just use your hands, and probably give it a week or 2 before handling (just a general rule i have for any new herps so they can get used to their new home). I lift up hides to get any of my reptiles out, bit grumpy at first sometimes but they get over it :wink:
Jordo

I was just about to ask the same Q tempest....beat me to it!!

Is there such thing as handling too much ppl???? I also have a young python (5 month MD) I handle it quite a bit and it doesn't seem to stress out..........

I use something first to let them know I am there then put my hand in.The reason I use something first like a hook is in case they do get startled and become defensive (been bitten a few times and do not like it :( .As for the mice dont think about it and you will get use to it maybe even a little too use to it.

Question for dpeica-Why is it that handling is too much? in your opinion. :?

I don't think they should be handled, certainly not every day. It doesn't benefit them at all.
Why do you want to handle them?

a problem you may come across is when you only put your hand in the enclosure to feed it, it can mistake your hand for food.. ive come across that prob a few times w/ juvi diamonds.

There's alot of opinions on this topic . I'd handle mine more if i had the time . I clean out the enclosures weekly so it's at least once a week . I won't handle them for 3-4 days after a small meal or 7 days after a large one . Apart from that I have snakes that like to be handled & ones that don't . They really don't like to be handled for more than 15 minutes though , but nothing wrong with having them curl up next to you on the couch while you surf the net . Know your snake , if it doesn't like it , don't do it . Handling them gives them exercise & a change of scenery , can't see anything wrong with that .

I handle mine quite often....only for a 10 - 20 mins but he seems to be fine...doesn't get all defensive while he's being handled at all.....My last Jungle was hardly handled at all ( lack of time etc) and she was the snappiest snake I've ever seen!!!
I don't want the same thing happening to my new MD so been handling him quite regularly.......Gonna feed him for the first time (since I had him) on Saturday so that will be the true test I suppose!??

yeah i got a snappy little childrens hatchling, I handle him fairly often for short periods of time for him to get used to me... But i got this spotted python who just LOVES to come out and wrap around my hand while i carry him around the house, I belive you should try atleast once a day to handle your snake as it will get used to your touch and wont be so snappy and more adapted to the situation...

as for moving hides make sure you pull the hide towards you or the can strike from underneath and its very UNEXPECTED lol and be prepared for them to be grumpy you just woke them up, My snakes started exploring more after 3 - 4 days of NO CONTACT, after that i handled them and they still seem fine

Thanx Kwaka....That's what I'm doing and I'd like to keep doing it!!!

My MD seems to enjoy coming out and having an explore....he gets a bit funny when I put him back in the enclosure though and when someone goes near the glass he gets all defensive but other than that he's cool....

im with dpeica on this one. over handling can easily stress your animals out and cause all sorts of problems, if you want to breed them, leave them.!! simple.
IMO if you need some thing to play with buy a dog.!
otherwise if you must handle, them once a week for a few minutes is about all you shoud do IMO, and even that is too much.

Well it's not all about breeding TrueBlue....I do intend on breeding some one day but that will be later when I have a suitable collection.

It's not that I want to play with my snake but I do want to interact with it.....I'm not gonna just stare at the enclosure all the time!!

It all depends on the individual and the snake IMO from what I can see....

There seem to be many differing opinions on handling. When I bought my snakes I was told by the shop to handle them regularly so they get used to it. Watching this site over time it became clear that the opinion of the long time herpers is not to handle too much. I was also told by the shop to feed every week. However again by watching this site, the opinion of the long term herpers seems to be to feed far less frequently (although hatchlings probable need more regular feeding than older snakes).
I have 2 snakes in the one enclosure so I take them out to feed them. I feed them every 2 - 3 weeks and mostly they only get handled then.
If we do handle them it is normally only for 5 -10 minutes. The snakes will let you know when they are getting upset with overhandling. With my snakes 5 - 10 minutes is plenty. They tend to get a but defensive and agitated after that and that is my que to put them back in their enclosure. If feeding them I make sure they don't get to that agitated state so they are comfortable feeding.
When you first get your snakes you will want to hold them more regularly. After a while the novelty wears off and you will be happy to do it less frequently. I my personal opinion a bit of handling is warranted so that the snake is familiar with being handled but it should be kept to a minimum and certainly brought to an end when the snake shows signs of agitation.
And make sure you wash you hands before handling. The only times I have been bitten is during feeding. At first I put the mice above the enclosure so that the heat from the lights warmed the mice up to "body temperature". A big mistake. Once the snakes get the scent of food, they become very edgy and then when they see something move (as in my hand) they think it is prey and strike at it. I learned to keep the mice away from the enclosure until I am actually feeding.
Then last time I fed them I fed one snake first and forgot to wash my hands. I obviously had the scent of the mouse on my hands. When I reached in to get the other snake (which is usually the most placid) it apparently got a whif of the mouse and struck at my hand. Make sure you wash your hands before handling.
I don't profess to be an expert, but these are the things I have gleaned from watching this site and dealing with my snakes for about 18 months.
Good luck.

I'm with Jez on this one. I bought my DP to be able to interact with it. I have a gorgeous dog, I'm not after something I can play with and fuss all over because I can do that with him. I do however want to be able to take my DP out and have him out on occassions. Of course, I will be mindful of him and whether or not he's stressed and if he is I will handle him less. I didn't buy him for "display purposes" only nor did I buy him to replace my woofer.

Thanks for all of your opinions, even those who say to leave them alone! It's good to get a feel for what other people do with their reptiles and to get some advice seeing as I'm so new to all of this. Kwaka, thanks for the tip about moving his hide, I'll make sure I do it a bit carefully!

BiteandSqueeze, thank you for your detailed reply. I'm glad you wrote what you did about putting the mice on top of the enclosure to warm up before feeding (that's what the guy at the pet shop suggested) but on your advice I won't. I actually used the heater this time to warm the mouse up a bit, seeing as it's winter I think I'll do it like that for now. Hands are always washed as well when handling too... but think I'll be wearing gloves for feeding just because I don't think I could actually touch a dead mouse otherwise. :roll:

you get used to the dead mouse thing, it doesnt bother me anymore... i wash my hands before and after feeding but handling dead mice really doesnt get to me, its just another meat product really. i suppose if you are vegetarian it would be weird tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back