Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythons_dragons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HEY,

i just wanted to know whether monitors (apart from the pygmy mulga monitor) like the spiny tailed ,monitor are for handling. SO ARE MONITORS FOR HANDLING OR ARE THEY JUST COOL TO LOOK AT????? i wouldnt know how to handle a big monitor. please tell the truth guys. and if you can handle them, how many times a weeek. also, are turtles for handling or more to look at!!!!!

PLEASE ANSWER FOR BOTH AND EXPLAIN

Depends You Can handle them alot.. Just At times they might scratch you. Uhm theres a few u cant hold. but not sure of names Sorry.

i have lots of mates with monitors and they love to get out and about .........i suggest David Kershners lace monitors they tame up very very well if you like big monitors.

Most reptiles are more on the look but dont touch side of things imo. I wouldnt recommend monitors for handling, especially for someone with little experience...they can give a very nasty scratch or bite. Although I have seen some monitors tame up nicely, particularly lacies but there is still a reason why they are on a class 2 licence as I wouldnt trust them with anyone that isnt extremely experienced.
What species of herps do you keep at the moment pythons_dragons?

when they have insizes teeth be careful or you will loose
a finger but in saying that you should learn animal behaviour pattern as each indervidul has there own personalitiy. turtles are also only good to watch cheers

thanks a lot matt. you have helped me a lot. i have got a yearling eastern bearded dragon who is very tamed, feeding very well and has never bitten. i got her when she was 6 weeks. just yesterday, i got my second herp. i had begged my mum to let me get a python for years and yesterday was the day my dream came true. i wanted a big snake. i wanted a bredli but when i went to the zoo, i saw some and they looked masssive. i would never be able to hold one of them because o fhtier size and i have never kept a snake. so i wanted the next smallest snake after a carpet python. and when i saw the blonde spotted python, i fell in love with it. they have the most amazing pattern and colouring. i would shoose a blondie over any WA stimson's. (sorry stimmo fans but its true). so i researched and i got the keeping chiuldren's python book. so yesterday i got a 6 weeks old female blonde spotted python. when i took her out to put her into her click clack, she was very calm and did not strike. she kept going back onto my arm instead into the click clack. she has a beautiful pattern and has no probs with her. she has fed 6 times and is very healthy. so this is my story

I named her coco and my bearded dragon name is mojo. I named her coco because she looks like coco and makes me want to eat her. She is soooo cute

Whats with wanting to handle everything?
They are Reptiles not domesticated cats & dogs. :?

i have lots of mates with monitors and they love to get out and about .........i suggest David Kershners lace monitors they tame up very very well if you like big monitors.

Are Daves Monitors bred for temprement like another members Childreni? :lol:

It's taken me a few years to realise this but here it is, reptiles don't enjoy being handled, they simply adapt to it. I'm hoping that because of this so-called adaptation it has produced a less-stressful approach on behalf of the animal. Sometimes I truly wonder if its in their best interest to be kept in captivity :(.......but, .then I see toads.....read about celebrities battering protected wildlife.......... housing developments and knocking down native habitats :?.....sort of sickens you a little I reckon

thanks a lot matt. you have helped me a lot. i have got a yearling eastern bearded dragon who is very tamed, feeding very well and has never bitten. i got her when she was 6 weeks. just yesterday, i got my second herp. i had begged my mum to let me get a python for years and yesterday was the day my dream came true. i wanted a big snake. i wanted a bredli but when i went to the zoo, i saw some and they looked masssive. i would never be able to hold one of them because o fhtier size and i have never kept a snake. so i wanted the next smallest snake after a carpet python. and when i saw the blonde spotted python, i fell in love with it. they have the most amazing pattern and colouring. i would shoose a blondie over any WA stimson's. (sorry stimmo fans but its true). so i researched and i got the keeping chiuldren's python book. so yesterday i got a 6 weeks old female blonde spotted python. when i took her out to put her into her click clack, she was very calm and did not strike. she kept going back onto my arm instead into the click clack. she has a beautiful pattern and has no probs with her. she has fed 6 times and is very healthy. so this is my story
Bredlis are one of the best first snakes to keep i have 7 young adults and they are great. When speaking of monitors ,beadies in comparision ,they are a small lizziard ,monitors arnt like snakes you need to understand that they can infilict dammage and need to study ther behavour as all reptiles. Be observant like a scientist and study there behavour

thanks guys, also reptiles at the beginning dont hate being handled but they get scared when being handled at the beggining. but when they get used to your smell, then they know it is safe.

AND ACTUALLY, PYTHONS LOVE BEING HANDLED BY HUMANS BECAUSE WHEN WE HOLD THEM, WE GIVE THEM A LOT OF HEAT ON OUR BODY WHICH THEY LOVE

I KNOW WH OU SAY THAT BREDLI'S ARE GOD SNAKES gozz. but the reason i said i didn't weant ti because i wouldn't be able to handle such a big python like a bredli which grows ery fat. i would much rather just hold a small python like a blondie (my coco). do you understand me.

i actually really enjoy holding snakes (at the zo and soon my coco)

thanks guys, also reptiles at the beginning dont hate being handled but they get scared when being handled at the beggining. but when they get used to your smell, then they know it is safe.

AND ACTUALLY, PYTHONS LOVE BEING HANDLED BY HUMANS BECAUSE WHEN WE HOLD THEM, WE GIVE THEM A LOT OF HEAT ON OUR BODY WHICH THEY LOVE

Sorry young fella but you are wrong! they tollerate it they dont necessarily enjoy it at all

Actually. Your body creates sweat whi creates heat which pythons like. Why do you think that pythons lke climbing your arm like a tree (because your heat!!!!)

I KNOW WH OU SAY THAT BREDLI'S ARE GOD SNAKES gozz. but the reason i said i didn't weant ti because i wouldn't be able to handle such a big python like a bredli which grows ery fat. i would much rather just hold a small python like a blondie (my coco). do you understand me.

i actually really enjoy holding snakes (at the zo and soon my coco)
if thats the case you will never be able to handle a monitor as a Bredli is a very placid snake cheers ,mabey a cat is your option, lol just jokes dont take it to heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back