Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
just a question, i know there are expections to the rule but in general
Childrens pythons handle well
Murray Darling handle well
scrub pythons handle bad
jungle pythons handle bad

what about lace moniters ( if i had it from a baby and handled it alot what will it be like) also what other bigger monitors (bigger then a accie) handle well (im only new to monitor's and just would like to know more)

thanks
ashley

As you say Ashley, if you have had it from a baby and handled it a lot then there shouldnt be to much drama(until you stick it into the outside enclosure and dont give it as much attention as you used to and it hates you for doing it)
Also. if you have it from an early age you will become used to it.

ps I wouldnt recommend getting "tagged" by the large monitors.

I think another question could possibly be "in what manner would one actually go about a 'handling session' with a lacey/perentie?".
Dibs I don't have to hug the huge lizard!
Lol :roll:

What are the best handling monitor species?

I have heard from a source I respect that Spencers Monitors are much better than other species handling wise? Can any of the monitor gurus share your experinces?

Both SImon Archibold and Bigguy spencers are great to hold. Bigguys is huge and is a big baby, but they have been handled constantly since hatchling size. I have only ever seen one lacey that was handleable as adult, all the rest have been crankey so and so's.

Does anyone know how sand goanna's handle becuase im planning to get one soon. :D

Apple,
In my experience having owned 3 Sand Monitors (male and female), they are one of the most easily stressed monitors you're likely to find and don't like handling at all. Bare in mind that none of mine were handled from hatchling but still I'm not sure how they go.

As usual there are exceptions to the rule out there...

Simon Archibald

I may start a fresh thread with a poll on the best handling monitor species... stay tuned.

My lace monitors are pretty easy to hold. They never bite and have never tried. All they do is struggle and scratch, and the scratching hurts like hell. I have 2 lacies about 60cm long and 2 which are around a metre. They have all been held since hatchlings. When i need to hold them i do it in the mornings before they heat up. They struggle for a moment and then just sit on my forearm. If i hold them when they're heated up they will scratch like mad, dig their claws into my arms and not let go. Now they've got me instead of me having them. At this time i find myself praying for their forgiveness. Its a good idea to wear thick leather wielders gloves for larger monitors.

If you want a 'pet', like something you can hold or cuddle.. dont get a monitor.

There are a couple of specimens that dont mind handling, but most monitors dont. If you want something you can handle, get a blue tongue or a beardie. Simple as that.

The majority of monitor keepers keep to them to watch how they interact with eachother, and their general behaviour, as they are a very intelligent family.

I will say it again.. If you want something you will definetly be able to handle, get a bluey/beardie.

Even if the monitors dont bite or scratch you, it stresses them out, and I am sure any other experienced monitor keepers will agree that this can increase the risk of susceptibility to parasites. The monitor also may refuse to feed, and spend much of its time hiding away.

If i was to get a large moniter like spencer's or sand goanna what would be the best one and what are the average sizes becuase i have not been able to find there average adult size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back