Hatchies not feeding HELP!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirateherpss

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I know there is heaps of info online about this topic, i have literally read everything on getting hatchlings to eat. I have tried everything I think possible. I just need advice, or help on what i should be doing next..

I have 2 spotted python hatchies, both 3.5 weeks old. They have not eaten yet. They have both shed. I have tried pinkie mice dead/alive. I have tried little lizards (the tiny garden skinks). Even rubbing the lizards scent onto pinkies. And leaving the food in the enclosures for hours also... I have right temperatures, cage size, etc. [I haven't tried force feeding... trying to avoid it, but i don't even know how to get their mouths open to put anything in there.

Ive even given them days and days with no contact from me, to see if they eat after no handling for a while, but still doesn't work.

But the little buggers aren't taking the bite for anything i try. The hatchies have no interest at all with food. They don't even strike or anything. Im worried they are going to starve :/

How long can they last without no eating?.. before it starts getting dangerous for them, or when i should start really worrying??

What should I be trying/ doing now?

Thanks folks! :)
Really need some advice on this one..

They will survive for a few months without feeding, a friend of mine has a spotted that refuses to eat 7months of the year. I'd leave assist feeding as a last resort. Keep trying they'll eat when there hungry. If not I've used paddle pop sticks or a credit card to gently pry the mouth open, then push the head of the prey item (smaller prey items will be easier to get in there) into its mouth and massage it down its throat. Again I'd leave assist feeding as a last resort. if you do something wrong it could end in serious injury, especially with such small snakes.

cheers.

You'll almost certainly kill them if you try to assist-feed these tiny babies without heaps of experience, but in any case, it's not necessary. Pythons often (usually even) hatch with a gut full of yolk, which they absorb at the time of hatch. This often sustains them for weeks or months after hatch, and is often reflected in lack of interest in food. DO NOT try live food, either pink mice and especially lizards, it's not necessary, and you'll be setting yourself up for a heap of troubles later on.. As Dr Z suggests, they can go for months without feeding, so panic is not necessary. If you are still unsure about the advice we have given you, pass the animals on to an experienced breeder to get them started for you, to reduce your anxiety.

Jamie

I had 3 diamonds and a bredli hatchy last year that just wouldnt touch a thing. After 4 months of worry and frustration i took them to the vet for a forcefeeding lesson, after the first forcefeed the bredli started eating on its own, 2 diamonds took 2 forcefeeds before they started eating, and the last diamond was a bit hit and miss for quite a while, but has been eating brilliantly for a few months now. Good luck with them!

Also just to clarify, force feeding is feeding via a tube down the throat in wich nutritious meaty sludge is pumped into the stomach. Assist feeding is to help the animal take and swallow a whole prey item or strips of suitable meat/fish.

cheers.

Heap of size difference between these and Spotteds, so force feeding Morelia, while still not recommended for novices, is quite a bit easier. I ALWAYS counsel against force-feeding for novices.

Jamie

As Jamie said ppl new to the herp industry can get very frustrated with getting hatchies started where as someone thats been around a while will do it effortlessly and without the frustration...tell us "roughly" what area you are in "maybe" there is someone on here willing to help you out. ~B~

i would consider myself not completely 'new to the game' so to speak. But yeah, I'm pretty novice at this...

okay, so i now know assist feeding is a no go. Im glad i still have a fair bit of time for mah babies to start feeding. If I'm still having trouble ill seek for someone with greater experience to help me out. Cheers everyone for the help. :D Much appreciated!

I have 2 spotted python hatchies, both 3.5 weeks old. They have not eaten yet. They have both shed. I have tried pinkie mice dead/alive. I have tried little lizards (the tiny garden skinks). Even rubbing the lizards scent onto pinkies. And leaving the food in the enclosures for hours also... I have right temperatures, cage size, etc.

Ive even given them days and days with no contact from me, to see if they eat after no handling for a while, but still doesn't work.

At 3.5 weeks old would mean that they would of only had their first shed not much more than a week ago.In that time you have tried to feed them more than four times in that period which is way too much.By doing so all you will achieve is conditioning them to stress out when food is offered which will make things that much more difficult.On top of this you are handling them?

Leave them totally alone and offer food once a week,don't bother scenting etc at this point.Keep offering food once a week and be patient.What are your day/night,min/max temps?

Last edited:
As Jamie said ppl new to the herp industry can get very frustrated with getting hatchies started where as someone thats been around a while will do it effortlessly and without the frustration...tell us "roughly" what area you are in "maybe" there is someone on here willing to help you out. ~B~

Absolutely true. Often it's a matter of technique getting them started, because pink mice are not the normal starting-off food for these guys in the wild. Patience and a bit of common sense usually wins out in the end. Getting someone experienced to show you how to induce a strike & wrap response may be very helpful for you at this stage.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back