Hatchy / Juvenile feeding ...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keef

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Party peoples,

With the recent topics about feeding I was just wondering what peoples opinions on feeding a Hatchy / Juvenile Coastal would be.

My snake is around 13 weeks old, weighed 32 grams prior to last feed, i feed her weekly and the last fuzzie weighed 4 grams. Ive been going by the 5-20% of total body weight per feed rule.

would this be classed as under feedng? Im not interested in getting her as big as possible as quick as possible my only concern is that I have a happy n healthy snake.

cheers :)

One pinky rat a week is a really good way to get your snake to grow and IMO this is not powerfeeding by any means or underfeeding by any means.I live VERY close by if you would like to see how I keep my juvies. :wink:

The whole feeding argument is an ongoing one and always will be. Unfortunately we all have our strong and often differnt points of view on the subject so all we can do is to agree to disagree. Sorry getting off topic there but basically there is no hard or fast rules for feeding, just keep and eye on you snake and preety soon you will get to know its mood and that will tell you when to feed. I feed mine about the same and they are all fine. I have feed them differently depending on what they show me.

In comparison, a rat pink diet offers bugger all in nutrition. Fuzzies have more calcium for growth. Frequency and diet sounds fine.

I would give it something a bit older, pinkies are just big balls of mush really, i get my juvi snakes on to stuff with fur as soon as i can. Fur helps them from a healthy stool (ask slatey lol) and bone as stated provides calcium.

Another thing I do is to vary the diets as much as I can. Obviously it is hard when still young and small but as they get older I give mine things other then just Rats.

Yes true I actully fed my baby Murray Darling 5 small mice that were about 4 weeks old the other day. So not just a pinky a week but that is what I would consider minimum feed.I was thinking of my stubborn stimpsoni that will not eat anything other than pinky rats.She is 2 years old and only 60 odd grams as she has been such a pain in the bum.

It must be the breed. The only snake I have ever had troubles with feed wise was a female Stimpsoni. She was a little Bitch of a thing to get to feed on anything other then fuzzies. It took me ages to get her to try other things.

My Diamond is super fussy, along with my baby female Scrub. Male Scrub would eat bird crap if you dangled it in front of him.

hey sxereturn how did you get your hatchy scrubs to feed? how old were they when they fed first for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back