Heat Cord

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
This has probably been answered but I can't find it. I'm just wondering is there a minimum separation distance between rows when you lay this stuff out in the typical "S" shape? I remember reading 5cm somewhere but I don't remember if that was a recommended distance or just what that person had done themselves.

It depends on how hot you want a spot hotter means wrap tighter cooler means further apart just make sure you don't cross it or let it touch anything. And you use a good thermostat.

Yeah I knew about the hotter and cooler thing but does that mean, other than having it touching, there is no minimum as far as safety and stuff goes?

I don't think so as long as there is a thermostat.

A lot of it is trial and error to get the temps right. My plan of attack is to use small pieces of duct tape, use it to 'tack' the tape in place, put the covering on leaving a couple of millilmetres between the cord and the covering (less hot spots) and test run for a week in place in the tank with doors shut etc, and change the spacing to suit. then use cable holders (n shaped plastic with a nail on one side)
I dont like having the cord totally enclosed and make sure heat build up can escape (I dont like seeing the entire cord covered in tape either)
With the way i set my enclosures up i dont run thermostats, and with the right wattage cord (or even globe for that matter) i dont need to.

You're up early Jax :p. Thanks yeah I was planning on doing some trial and error on it but just wasn't sure if I had to have a certain spacing or not

I think br3nton is correct with the thermostat control.

And also bending the cord at right angles could damage the electrical workings....

Electromagnetic flux might also be a very small problem - though a 50W heat cord will only be about 0.3A so magnetic flux would be low - it is because of the flux that is the reason you're meant to unravel an extension cord fully before using it.

Last edited:
Oooh look at Slim pulling out the geek info. I'm an electrical engineer so I knew that already :p

Oooh look at Slim pulling out the geek info. I'm an electrical engineer so I knew that already :p

Man... and I was actually going to work out the exact FLUX that you were going to get... but now you can flux off.. Geeeeeez, here's what you get for being nice :)

Problem solved???

my 1 said no smaller gap then 40mm tho iv never been 1 to listen to instructions, every time iv used a heat cord iv put the runs 20mm apart and have had no probs with a thermo connected tho in saying that i have had a heat cord stop working only after using it for a few days tho that was a 4ft on top of it crushing it so i think thats what killed it not the fact that it only had a 20mm gap as i have 1 running now on a tank with a gap of 20mm.

You're up early Jax :p. Thanks yeah I was planning on doing some trial and error on it but just wasn't sure if I had to have a certain spacing or not

Up early !!! i've been up since 5am, i've been at work since 7am :p ... its a lining up to be a slow day for a change

any electrical cord shouldn't be used rolled (as already stated by slimy) sharp angles are ok as long as you dont keep undoing and redoing the angle.
@reptile lover, i would think that there was an issue with the cord to start with, i doubt that having weight evenly distributed over the cord would have been a problem,

Up early !!! i've been up since 5am, i've been at work since 7am :p ... its a lining up to be a slow day for a change

any electrical cord shouldn't be used rolled (as already stated by slimy) sharp angles are ok as long as you dont keep undoing and redoing the angle.
@reptile lover, i would think that there was an issue with the cord to start with, i doubt that having weight evenly distributed over the cord would have been a problem,

Ive been up since 5am worked my '8hr shift' and got home at 8:30am :lol: Hows that for maths!! ha ha....

In relation to heat cords, what wattage is recommended? Im wanting to router out some timber and run a heat cord for the purpose of heating 4-5 click clacks.

it would depend on the size of the click clacks, when my 5 were in tubs, i lined up the tubs, measured for 3 runs of cable and bought the cable to suit, from memory it was a 60w(?)

I like your maths skills, if that were me i'd be home in the shed by now !!

it would depend on the size of the click clacks, when my 5 were in tubs, i lined up the tubs, measured for 3 runs of cable and bought the cable to suit, from memory it was a 60w(?)

I like your maths skills, if that were me i'd be home in the shed by now !!

I like my job :D

The click clacks i will use are the 7L Sistema tubs

Y don't ya just use heat tape? Herp shop sells it cheap.. It's easyer to setup n takes up no room under the cage or tub.

Actually, I've been meaning to ask about this Brad. Tape seems very popular overseas, but here heatcord is everywhere.

I have also wanted to know the answer to your question Sax, so thanks for asking it :)

Heat tape starts at $30 per metre on the smaller stuff then add crimps and connectors etc .... a 9m cord is around $45 , if you have a serious tub rack it will be get costly using tape.

Heat tape starts at $30 per metre on the smaller stuff then add crimps and connectors etc .... a 9m cord is around $45 , if you have a serious tub rack it will be get costly using tape.

There's one good reason :) Maybe like everything else it's cheaper in the states.

We use 80w heat cord on our racks with a distance of 5cm between runs for hatchies with only two runs and a distance of 8cm apart between two runs for adults. I think there was an article from matt bonnet on this subject in one of the herp mags a year or two back. It was for nephrurus setups but it is universal for most species kept in tubs. Just be sure to always use a top quality thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back