Heat Cord

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I'm gonna jump in here with my own question. I was told you can use heat cord inside the eclosure? Is this ok?

Yeah they are water proof so it's fine.
Nice timing bringing this thread up again. I made my first heat pad last night. Here are the photos:
The cord:
IMG_0270.jpg

With the tiles added:
IMG_0271.jpg

Sorry I'm gonna jump in here with my own question. I was told you can use heat cord inside the eclosure? Is this ok?................

I use my heat cord inside my enclosure, I have it 'weighed' down using small pieces of slate under the substrate........i havent had any problems.

I have been using it in mine for about 3 years, just taped to the bottomwith nespaper than breeders choice over the top, only prob i had was with my coastal continually ripping it up and coiling in it. I finally found a tape she cant beat :) just moved her into her 4 foot tank, light during the day, cord at night. still hiding most of the time, only been 2 weeks :)

I have been using it in mine for about 3 years, just taped to the bottomwith nespaper than breeders choice over the top, only prob i had was with my coastal continually ripping it up and coiling in it. I finally found a tape she cant beat :) just moved her into her 4 foot tank, light during the day, cord at night. still hiding most of the time, only been 2 weeks :)

You use tape inside your enclosure?

You might want to do a search on here about sticky tape and what it can do to your animal. I really hope you will remove the tape from the enclosure ASAP.

Oops.. learn something new every day. had never heard of anything like that happening, alot of my friends with snakes use tape to anchor there heatcord, thanks for the tip.

No worries, you might want to pass the tip along.

I reckon some types are fine. Especially if it's being used for heat cord and then had a tile or whatever on it. The snake will never come in contact with it

I haven't tried it out in an enclosure yet. I gotta get my *** into gear and try it. I'm a little worried because I tested it out on the kitchen bench and it didn't get very warm at all but I'm hoping it's like a heat mat in that way and once it's actually in an enclosure with a snake sitting on top of it, it will get a bit warmer

Can I ask where you get the heat cord from. Is it only available through reptile shops or can you get it at electrical wholesalers.

I wouldn't think you could get it from electrical places since it's specifically made for this purpose

Yeah they are water proof so it's fine.
Nice timing bringing this thread up again. I made my first heat pad last night. Here are the photos:
The cord:
IMG_0270.jpg

With the tiles added:
IMG_0271.jpg

We us a similar method. Fibro cement sheet for a base, aluminim tape to hold the heat cord, and then a larger ceramic tile (approx 400 x 400) over the taped heat cord and sealed with silicon around the edges (instead of dowels, but of course more permament). We also change the spacing of the cord across the heat tile so that there is a temp gradient. We still use with thermostats, but find getting the right temperature easier as the snakes can find what they like across the tile.

snoopy
Can I ask where you get the heat cord from. Is it only available through reptile shops or can you get it at electrical wholesalers.​

Most reptile supplies business should carry them. We do a 9m 80w round cord with AUS plugs for $29.95.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back