Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_mike

Reaction score
Winter is looming & I've just realised that I'm going to need additonal heating. A friend will be caring for my python whilst Im off doing the tourist thing in Europe & she'll need to install the extra heater so I want it to be simple. I wish I'd done my research in advance.

I have a 0.6m high x 1.2m x 0.6m melamine enclosure for a Darwin Carpet. Currently hes being heated by a 70w habistat reptile radiator controlled by a pulse propotional thermometer. Night time temps 60cm below the radiator are dropping to 24 & its not even winter. So I'm boosting my insulation but think I'll need more heating.

My two preferred options would be either a heat mat on the floor or a proherp radiator on the side wall.

Ive got loads of questions.
Would it be safe to put a heat mat 60cm under the radiator - this would be the easiest option. Can heat mats be covered by a light layer of substrate, or do they have to be exposed in all their fugliness?

Are the proherp radiators really safe for pythons to touch? - on the side wall he could easily reach it & whilst I can place it so he can't cuddle up to it I'm still nervous.

Heat cord might be a really simple option. Does it need to be covered?

Cheers

the only assistance i can offer is that heat mats can be covered by substrate, just don't make the substrate too thick or the heat won't come through. we have our diamond python on aspen bedding that is about 2cm thick and a heat mat under that. previously we had her on coco-peat about the same thickness, and both were fine to be in direct contact with a heat mat. Before THAT we had a heat cord in there - we put a tile on the wood base of the enclosure (on the inside), wrapped the heatcord in a coil on top of it, placed 2cm of coco-peat substrate on top, and that was fine. we only switched to a heat mat because we moved and managed to break the cord in the process. hope that helps :)

Put a shelf/box under the heat panel at 30cm down and all will be good!

Thanks,
Theres already a basking shelf about 20cm under which worked really well when the heater wasnt blasting away.
Im just concerned because its my first year with a python and i wont be around to monitor things over winter.
Ill put in another basking area add some insulation and then head off to relax.
Ill just leave some cash and instructions to purchase a heat mat if it grts too chilly.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back