Hello. I am new and seeking advice.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry89

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to both the world of keeping reptiles and to the world of forums. I wanted to introduce myself and ask where/who I would ask about owning/buying/keeping a python. I live in Brisbane where I study and work and have an interest in some of the less conventional female pastimes such as my love of bike riding and a desire to have a python. Thank you for all your time and I hope to see you around on the forum. (P.S. Any suggestions on where I am to post my question about keeping my first Aussie native would be greatly appreciated.)Harry89

Hey there Harry,

First step is getting your reptile permit. This is super easy to do in QLD compared to some other states so you're lucky there, lol.

Once you have that all sorted out the next step is to research what type of python you're interested in and if you can accommodate for it (enclosure size, food bill, etc).

From there you will want to probably get yourself a copy of "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" by Mike Swan which will help you understand many of the requirements of commonly kept species. This book is considered to be the snake keepers bible, but if you are not much of a book fan you can get some of the same info through internet research or talking to a fellow snake keeper (such as the peeps on here, except you may want to use the search function for your question first as silly questions tend to annoy people on here, lol).

Anyway, feel free to PM me as I'm also in Brisbane so can probably point you in the right direction for a few things.

Thanks for the reply, I already have Mike Swan's book, have for a few years now and I already know what I want enclosure and reptile wise. I really just want information on the species and any experience people have with them. I really want to keep a rough scaled python (at this stage I am only seeking one python that will be loved to pieces) however finding information on them is difficult. I am also planning on purchasing a SteinEnclosure as I want to do it all right the first time. I have had the permit paperwork for years sitting on my desk wishing and have decided to finally make some action. I have done a lot of research and want to know if people feel that a rough scaled python would be alright for someone new, but interested to learn before purchase. I am in no hurry as I want this to be set up correctly for my new friend. Thank you for your advice. I want to know where to post to contact local breeders of RSP's so I can be well set up and educated in making this decision. (I didn't want to put it in the wrong forum for fear of upsetting others as you mentioned above.)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome Harry a rough scaled python is not a good choice for a first python they grow large and can give you a nasty bite I only know of one roughie breeder his in SA and has already sold out of this years hatchies considering there not even bred gives you an idea of how popular thet are there are a few decent python breeders around qld you can reply to there adds in the for sale section and any snake questions post them in the general discussion heading good to see you have done plenty of research just owning one snake Ben will make you up a nice encloser

RSP's are pretty hard to come by but they are becoming more popular. I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection some day. I'm pretty sure they're priced at about $450+ for hatchlings or about $650-$850+ for adults at the moment.

I only know of one breeder with a pair in Brisbane, but I'm not sure if he bred them this year or if it was successful. I'm sure there's a number of breeders around Brisbane though, so I guess you might try posting in the "Wanted" forum. Generally you'll get a good response from posting in there. Once you contact a breeder/owner or a breeder/owner contacts you, you can then pick their brains for information that you're after.

If you do your research right (which it sounds like you have) then a Rough Scaled Python will be a good first time python. Especially if you get a hatchling, so you can grow confidence with it as it grows.

I'm a big fan of the Stein Enclosures by the way, good choice. If you get a hatchling you will have more time to sort that all out as they're best suited to live in a click clack (I prefer 52ltr click clacks for all my carpet hatchlings).

Thank you for the advice guys. I won't be getting one this year it seems so I have plenty of time to read up and be sure I can keep one fit and healthy. I have read that they might not be suitable first off, however other reviews feel that they are just as well adjusted as other members of the Morelia family. I wouldn't take one on if I had any self doubt. I was planning on getting a hatchy and growing with it and am very aware of their large fangs. This is hopefully going to be my one and only reptile for a long time so I really want to do it right. As for the size, comparatively (from what I have again only read) they are suggested to be one of the smallest and easiest to raise of the python family having adapted to captivity well. I would only buy from a local that is well reputed and close at hand should (heaven forbid) anything go wrong. I have handled snakes before and watched them feed so I am only new to keeping them, not being near them. Also being a country kid I have relocated a few over the years even the odd one in our house since living in Brisbane. I wanted to seek out honest opinions of those that keep them to find out if I am aspiring too high to start with. There is no point in keeping anything unless you are able to support it's needs. Thanks everyone, I will have a look at that link as well, I have been on the net a lot over the past few weeks and had run out of sites with information on them. I may have been there already but thank you for adding it. Kind regards.

Pythons dont have large fangs, they have rows of teeth.

Cant go past a Stimson!!! Dont buy from a shop... go to a breeder. Far more informative and knowledgable. Not to mention healthier animals in general.

If you are set on a RSP, Simon Stone still has some at SXR, as he just auctioned off a couple of them. He would be able to offer you excellent advice if you emailed him and would be honest about whether he thought it was a suitable choice or not. In NSW it would not be, as you must have an advanced license to keep the species, but I don't know the QLD laws. If you only want one animal, you are right to take your time and choose carefully. Snakes live for 20-30 years, so you will have this animal for a very long time! Check out the 'Ask Doc Rock' articles on the SXR website for more information on keeping and choosing a python. Welcome to APS!

I know they don't have fangs, was just remarking that I am aware they hurt when they bite. Thank you for the advice I know this seems to be a less than conventional choice however I do intend to keep, care for and maintain my python. It has needs just like kids do and if you can't meet them then you are not being a responsible parent. I am going to have this for longer than most kids stay at home. I just want to be as well prepared as possible. Thanks.

I know they don't have fangs, was just remarking that I am aware they hurt when they bite. Thank you for the advice I know this seems to be a less than conventional choice however I do intend to keep, care for and maintain my python. It has needs just like kids do and if you can't meet them then you are not being a responsible parent. I am going to have this for longer than most kids stay at home. I just want to be as well prepared as possible. Thanks.

Ha ha... fair enough. Although a hatchie/yearling doesnt hurt. Just a bit of pressure more than anything. A hatchie would be lucky to break skin. Im not experienced with older snakes, but im getting a 3yr old Diamond on Sunday and the current owner said if it grabs your fingers it will hurt because it squashes them. But up on the arm is ok.

As i mentioned in a previous post, Stimson all the way. Small snake with a good chance of getting a good temprement. Especially if you get it through a good breeder. If you contact beeman, he has some beautiful examples in terms of looks and personality. Very experienced breeder indeed. And you'll have several from here that will recommend him as well :)

Just a quick FYI, a Rough Scale yearling bite will hurt more than any other yearling bite from your regular coastal or diamond, etc. due to them being having the longest teeth of all Australian pythons. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back