Help!!! Help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakes01

Reaction score
i have a four month old coastal and i have had him for 3 months. he still hasnt shed yet can this be a problem? i only got heating for him about a week ago because i had him in a click clack until now. he hasnt eaten for 6 weeks could this be why he isnt shedding?

Mate you should of had heating set up for him BEFORE you brought the
poor little fella home, the reason he hasent shed is because he has been far to COLD
to eat and if he isnt eating you cant expext him to grow and shed his skin!
You need to get him onto heat ASAP, About 30dg at the hot end and 24dg at the
cool end. I just hope you havent caused any underlying health prob for the little fella
by not providing heat as you should of right from the start!

Dude, how have u had a snake for 4 months and still know nothing about it's needs?
Research research research, knowledge is everything.
here's a free tip, type "coastal carpet care sheet" into the search window and for your snakes sake educate yourself!

i have heat for him and i know the temps i was just told by the breeder that i wouldnt need heat until winter but i now have everything and the setup is complete

i have heat for him and i know the temps i was just told by the breeder that i wouldnt need heat until winter but i now have everything and the setup is complete

Mate dont want to be rude but the hatchies and juives need heat in order to develope
and grow properly. It should of been on heat from day 1

Is this a wind up? Snakes shed when they grow. Snakes need food to grow, unbelivable i know!! Snakes need heat to digest food and grow. Food + Heat = Shed, No Food + No Heat = Dead Snake.

i feel realy bad!! It is my first snake and i had false information from my breeder. He seems to be fine now but atleast i know now for the future. i wish i had of asked some people who acctually knew what they were doing earlier! :(

i feel realy bad!! It is my first snake and i had false information from my breeder. He seems to be fine now but atleast i know now for the future. i wish i had of asked some people who acctually knew what they were doing earlier! :(

Mate we get cranky aboutpeople that dont do the right thing when purchasing
reptiles, Yes it is a bit hard when you have been told what to do and follow that advise
and it is to the detrement of you python.
A little basic research goes a long way , there is a good little book called
Keeping Carpet Pythons, I sugest you get a copy its a good guide and will help
you no end

cheers mate ill definately get one. i have always loved animals and would never want to harm one

How true

What kind of breeder did you buy from? Man, I am still on a massive learning curve but I knew enough to have a set up before the snake. Mine had shed once and fed twice when I brought her, I have fed her once and she shed last week. Having feeding hassels as she hasn't eaten in five weeks but she has eaten and shed and her conditions still good. I have been playing with my temps and noticed last night she was at least interested in the food.

What condition is yours in. The skin should spring back to normal when lightly pinched. If it still looks pinched when you let it go it is proberbly dehydrated and needs urgent attention. UV lights help with the whole growth thing as well.

Nice pic, hope it all works out. Other posts added while I was doing this one, agree with them and I might get that book as well:)

Last edited:
Even though it has taken 3 months to get some very important answers at least he has asked.

I bet for every situation like this there are another 5 to 10 that buy a snake, put it in a box and forget about it, oh, well until their mates come around and it is time to show off. That's what annoys me!

Even though it has taken 3 months to get some very important answers at least he has asked.

I bet for every situation like this there are another 5 to 10 that buy a snake, put it in a box and forget about it, oh, well until their mates come around and it is time to show off. That's what annoys me!

Absolutely better late than dead.:).

And for the 5 to 10 other people... because they can survive for so long without food, they see nothing wrong with it until it's to late.

to help snakes01....

could you experienced keepers put up a pic of a clickclack...set up

ie.... were the holes should be for ventilation
paper substrate....water

more importantly heat mat/cord....& thermostat probe....etc

i believe visual is better!....it can help
please remember....snakes01..is admiting he has been wrongly informed...asking you for help

Yeh what Dragonlady said, Also, if you do use smaller enviroments how do you set up lighting. The breeder who sold my MD told me to use a plastic aquarium with those clip on lids/vents/access. However it is difficult to set up UV lights. I ended up using one of my 2ft aquariums, with a aquarium light (UV globe, and wired/caged for the snake).

Good luck Harley:)

Last edited:
Yeah i use a plastic reptile tub withe the clip on vented top with a large clear sliding/hinged top, same size as a newspaper folded twice, which makes cleaning easy.
With heat cord running under the back a hide in opposite corners and a water bowl and a little 5cm x 5cm log in the other opposite corners.
works for me an mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back