HELP! My Jungle carpet pythons head is twitching

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasquatch_zero

Reaction score
So when I woke up this morning and looked over at my snakes enclosure, I noticed he was twitching his head. He did it about five times that I saw and they were very quick twitches. I'm not sure if this is something to be worried about or not so I'm worried :p

He is a bit over a meter long (unsure of his age but he is still young) he has good temps being 30-32 up top and 22-24 down the bottom. A few days ago our power was cut so it was really cold for him for 8 hours and the past few nights my heater has been turning off which means it's getting cold every few nights.
He's very close to shedding (about a week away I would assume) so he's been a bit annoyed and he has the odd mite on him every now and then but I get it out with a cotton tip.
He eats wiener rats and is never reluctant to feed.

He's my first and only snake and I love him to bits so I would really love to know if this is anything serious :)
(picture is a few weeks old)

1468590_680042258729660_1845381932779888199_n.jpg

It he is still twitching later on in the day get him to a Reptile Vet.

The cold end temp is to low 24c minimum.

Mites need to be treated as soon as they are detected with Top Of Decent Mite Spray take out the water bowl when you spray the cage and leave the snake in the cage but don't spray his head to much.

He's not twitching now so I'm not as worried :)

I'll try keeping it at that temp, it's a little tricky in this weather though

I did spray the tank two days ago while he was out but there are still some in there.

Thanks for that :)

With mites you need to treat the snake and enclosure at the same time. But I would get it to a vet.
High temps, chemicals, etc can cause weird reactions in reptiles.
What did you spray the enclosure with?

You never just have "the odd mite".
You need to repeat the treatment every 7 days if necessary and you should probably bathe your snake in water and a small squirt of detergent.

I was planning to continue spraying every week but I didn't think of bathing him. Thankyou :)

- - - Updated - - -

Should I wait until he has shed before I bathe him?

When i treat for mites i use Top Of Decent Mite Spray,remove the water bowl and boil it in the laundry that will kill the mites in and on the bowl leave the snake in the cage spray the cage inside and out and spray the area that the cage is sitting in just in case there's mite on the floor and repeat treatment three times once every three days also wash your hands and arms well you only need one mite to have a problem all over again.It won't do any harm to mist the snake a couple of time so you know it will have a good shed and then you can deal with the mites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back