Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually dont bother with much over here
But if we get a cold snap I have an extremely simple method that worked like a dream in Nelson bay NSW where temperatures can reach 4 or 5c in winter

Simply get a slate or terracotta tile
Make a wooden or plastic box under it with about 75mm wall between the floor of the viv and the tile and some air holes
Place a small twenty watt globe inside the box
After two hours the tile will reach approximately 30c and will stay there indefinitely
The beauty of using terracotta or slate is that they retain heat for a long time and are really cheap to replace
The 20watt globe will not overheat the tile during normal days
If the weather will be a scorcher simply turn it off

BHP will be fine
How often can you find them basking in the desert when you can fry an egg on a piece of tin

Almost all my snakes are in tubs, and since most of the bottoms aren't flat, I run the heat cord into the enclosures and back out from over the top. The heat cord is then coiled under a sheet of either glass or tile. Yes the snakes can come into contact with it, but one strand by itself doesn't get very hot. Not one of my snakes have gotten a burn due to a heatcord.

since we are talking about temperatures, i have a question! i am setting up my new tank and am having troubles with the temps. it is getting to 36 degrees at the hottest spot in the tank (under the lamp). is this too high? it seems so to me....

since we are talking about temperatures, i have a question! i am setting up my new tank and am having troubles with the temps. it is getting to 36 degrees at the hottest spot in the tank (under the lamp). is this too high? it seems so to me....
36 is ok as long as they have escape from it if they need to.

With my banks the heat cord is fitted into routered notch in the underside of the bank. Use a piece of string the same length as the heat cord to mark an S shaped pattern in the back 1/4 to 1/3 of the enclosure. The mark the S pattern with a marker and router out the pattern with a bit that is as close to the size of the cable as possible. The notch should be about half the thickness of the floor in depth. Only thing to watch is that you don't make the bends too tight as this may crimp the heat cord.

We dont use thermos at all anymore. Just another thing to go wrong. We have a well sorted system now and get it pretty much spot on straight up. We supplied Gold Coast Pet Centre with a three bay enclosure, all on top of each other. The first time the enclosure was turned on it reached 34 on the basking shelf and 25 at the cool end in all three bays with no thermos, heat pads reptile heat lamps or heat cords. Just our 12 V halogen system where the bulbs only cost a few $$ to replace. Gotta be happy with that. With this setup the temperature can never get dangerously high no matter what (unless your house burns down haha) . It is even relatively uneffected by the ambient temperature, apart from the cool end getting above 25 C when the room temperature goes above that, but that cant be helped...

Hmmm that sounds perfect. Would you mind giving me more detail via PM - its just to get the enclosures I have in perfect order. I promise to buy from you next time :) actually to be serious I will have to go to tubs - which I don't feel happy about, but given that I have my bedroom full and the spare room turned into a reptile room, with 20 pytons and more to come.........and up until now, I have display enclosures for all my pythons (apart from the very young) running out of room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back