Help to identify snake in Far North Queensland

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belgrael

Reaction score
Found this bugger in our back yard this morning. Not happy.Our dogs run free all day in the back yard. Reckon at least one of them would have done away with it but really don't want to take that chance.
Sorry, I didn't get a good shot of its underbelly, too blurry, but it had a pale yellow underbelly.

Thanks in advance.

snake.JPG

it looks like a spectacled brown snake too me, but i am not 100% sure i enhanced the image and croped it and all and then i saw like spots over the snake and it looks like it is part of the brown snake family aswell

I've done a screen capture of it full size. Does this help?

snakezoom.jpg

yes its a keelback, a beautiful one too!

So, the only damn snake that can help clear out our back yard of cane toads, we go and kill :(

Damn, double damn!

fan bloody tastic why KILL?????? why not put your dogs away or on a chain and let the snake go on its merry way??????????YOU REALISE IT IS ILLEGAL to kill snakes especially when you can ring a professional snake catcher .....your attitude towards snakes is bad and I hope now you realise this for future encounters .....if you happen to find a snake in your backyard/frontyard or inside house RING your local council find out who captures and relocates and ring them they will tell you what to do for the situation your in .......RBB.why dont you find out in advance what the number is ...........:(

your comment is crap dog eat dog world .............how would you like it if someone came in and KILLED your snake and said that ...wake up be real we as humans need to stand up and be accounted for the wrong doings of our animals cant blame govt and everything else you find as an excuse ........that person killed that snake out of fear nothing more--- ignorance is bliss huh ,,,,,,imagine if everyone killed what they were fearful of ..........WE WOULD HAVE NOTHING LEFT !!!!!!!RBB

If a snake is a threat / being agressive to people/animals on your property it can be destroyed even if its a protected species(unless thats changed)?.If possible the best bet is to let it go on its way or ring a snake catcher.But thats not always possible.

G'day guys,

There's absolutely no advantage jumping down Belgrael's throat about killing this Keelback. Whilst I definitely don't support killing native wildlife, the impact on Keelbacks as a species is nil and Belgrael has done what most snake killers don't - educated themselves (albeit a little too late).

By abusing or ridiculing those who kill native wildlife out of ignorance, you will do nothing but convince them that we are a pack of bleeding heart, vigilante creepy crawly lovers and give them even more of a reason to do it again in the future. What you need to do is understand where they are coming from - most people have a very legitimate fear of snakes and an exagerated perception of what they are capable of - and explain why the snake is there, the reason they aren't in any danger and give them alternative options if they happen upon another snake in the future.

Belgrael - as others have said, the snake you killed is a Keelback, or Freshwater Snake. They are completely harmless, and very common. Regardless of what species of snake it was (Keelback, Brown, Taipan etc), you are not in any danger. Be careful not to corner a snake, always give it an escape route. The biggest thing to remember is that snakes react to movement - if you stand perfectly still, no snake will show any defensive behaviour towards you. If you have enough time to grab a shovel to kill it, you've got enough time to go inside and grab your phone and call a snake catcher. We personally know several snake catchers in the Cairns area - if you happen upon another, give us a call and we'll get someone to come and grab it for you.

Cheers

your comment is crap dog eat dog world .............how would you like it if someone came in and KILLED your snake and said that ...wake up be real we as humans need to stand up and be accounted for the wrong doings of our animals cant blame govt and everything else you find as an excuse ........that person killed that snake out of fear nothing more--- ignorance is bliss huh ,,,,,,imagine if everyone killed what they were fearful of ..........WE WOULD HAVE NOTHING LEFT !!!!!!!RBB

it was no ones pet for starters. and my point was, there is no reason to flame anyone over it cause it isnt going to bring it back to life. whats done is done and your better of educating than flaming.

and i dont have to imagine everyone killing what they feared, because is happening for real all the time and i see it all the time. ive done it myself.

Cougars that aint the law in Queensland .............its illegal to kill them especially when there is a service available.................big fines and even gaol(jail) time in some cases..........you know whats sad is the attitude that alot of even snake owners have when coming into contact of a species they are not sure of or know and turns out to be venomous.............how many dogs and cats kill wildlife? yet they fob it off .........but if a venomous species is found in the yard ....oh my dogs at risk so i will kill it..........the fact is its probably inhabited your yard alot longer then you realise and its only because you found it that you kill it ........education is the key before you let fear take over why dont you read up and ask questions 1st not kill then ask questions.........people get up in arms if they see on the news a cat or dog thats been killed in a cruel way if a cat was hacked to pieces by a shovel or a dog had boiling water poured on it till it died people would be outraged but because its of the not so cute n fluffy type of animal feelings are not as strong...dogs have and are known to kill and if you have ever seen a ferel cat well I certainly wouldnt want to take it on ...........but as usual the poor old snake gets a bad rap when it comes to a situation of your life or the snake and i mean not in your back yard or your house where it is possible to get away from it but just lets say in your car on the passenger seat and your driving along and see it and cant get out and its up and about 10 cm from your face well maybe just maybe then you might have the right to take its life............RBB

Cougars that aint the law in Queensland .............its illegal to kill them especially when there is a service available.................big fines and even gaol(jail) time in some cases.

G'day RBB,

I understand where you are coming from but as I said, your method of education will just put people off. I have the same opinions as you, but I keep them to myself.

With regards to your above statement, do you have proof of the law being different up here? And of anyone ever been prosecuted by the law for killing a snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back