Help to identify snake in Far North Queensland

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Queensland it is legal to kill a snake if it is likely or even possible to be a danger to humans and I think livestock. If you have a big Brown snake outside your front door you can legally kill it.

Jonno why dont you speak to QPW i am sure they will inform you of that ...............when i got my DML i asked a lot of questions and yeah was told that by a recognisable source he is well known to QPW they have great respect for this person and highly value his opinions , its not aload of porkeys Jonno you can find out yourself.... and my point is passionate and yes sometimes i get frustrated and show these emotions but i am sick of the excuses I killed it because it wouldve killed my dog and crap like that ...........you say you keep your comments to yourself but you commented on sloths cat capture and in alot of peoples eyes what he is doing is inhumane and wrong ...i feel the same about snakes and the big difference is these are native to our country and who is to say that these people wont be responsible to erradicate our endangered species without realising it because in their eyes the only good snake is a dead one ???????????RBB

absolutely amazing - cars cruise past everyday but do you run out and kill the drivers - i think not - but a reptile cruises past and is killed without a thought , now how are more people killed each year i ask - is it from car accidents or having a reptile in their yard ?!!!!! - who's the naughty boy here then ?, cheers

Yes lots of snakes are destroyed with the shovel each year,most of them needless.Maybe the snake in question was agressive and wouldnt move on,and the person in question made a decision to destroy it,odbviously thinking it was venomous,and fearing for the safety of the dogs.

I don't agree at all with killing any reptile. Perhaps this guy has learned a valuable lesson with this incident. If you are part of an Aussie pythons forum you would naturally think the person has an affinity with snakes, so to speak up and admit to killing a wild one is a fair slip up. I would have expected him to get flamed a little more. Most likely though he'll do the right thing in the future.

wow, RRB! It's one thing to be passionate, it's another to be realistic. At least the bloke had the courage and decency to find out, even if it was after the event, about the snake. We cannot all be wildlife crusaders, and know which species is harmless or otherwise. How many reptiles are killed on our roads? I have seen people go out of their way, to run over not just snakes, but lizards as well. A man has a right to protect his home and his property, and if this bloke did not know the type of snake he was dealing with, can he really be blamed? Education, with patience and understanding is needed. If we belittle people about our passion, our lifestyle, our beliefs, do you think they will really want to learn about our unique wildlife?

Some how i'm not getting why if you thought it was such a danger you managed to take the time to take a photo of it before killing it? Or even why you took the photo when you were gonna kill it anyway, so you can gloat of your epic battle with the deadly serpent?

Regardless if a snake is dangerous or not you should contact someone to remove it if your worried, because your A LOT more likely to get bitten while trying to kill it than if you just let it go about its business.

This is a firey arguement, but quite simply, as long as mankind is fencing off land and calling it their own there will be native animals being disposed of.
By simply living we are probably killing thousands of animals each year just from our septic tanks being underground polluting the land.
One more killed by a shovel isnt really going to change the population. But its a one time mistake to be learnt from. Education is the key to preventation.

when i got my DML i asked a lot of questions and yeah was told that by a recognisable source he is well known to QPW they have great respect for this person and highly value his opinions , its not aload of porkeys

Hi RBB,

So you're saying that it's his opinion that it's the law? I too have heard that if you feel threatened by a snake you can legally kill it. You appear to be saying that this is not the case? Have you seen that in writing somewhere? It'd be great to get a definitive answer on this.

Stewart

I dont think the debate should be whether its legal or not to kill it. i think we should be doing everything possible to avoid killing any native animal that might wander onto your property. I cant think of to many circumstances that warrant killing a snake. There are always other options.Most areas have licenced Snake catchers. I just hope they guilty party will know better next time.

I wouldnt be too shocked if more keelbacks die on roads in a week than
those killed in a year by people like the person who started this thread.
Its nothing to see 5 fresh ones on certain roads in a single night, and
the night after that, and so on... no shortage of the little buggers.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar ..

Im sure your probably right about that, but not much can be done about snakes that die on the roads, but in this case it was a decision to kill the snake, not a accident . Definately avoidable.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, but heres something to think about for those of you who disagree with what this person did:

You see a large spider in your yard where your kids and animals play. Now, the thing is, you know nothing about spiders, but you know it could be a very dangerous funnel web, or it could be a huntsman. If you leave it, theres a chance it could hang around for weeks or return and hurt (potentially kill) your kids or dogs playing in the yard.

But, consider this: You have no idea that its protected (I know they aren't, but this person also probably didn't know snakes were). Society and the media have given you the impression that 99% of spiders are nasty agro killers that can't be trusted - they can chase and attack you. You have no idea there are 'spider catchers' that could come and collect it for you, or maybe you thought there was but it could take hours for them to come, and you need to make a quick decision. What would you do?

The difference is I don't think too many of you would be silly enough to admit on a spider lovers forum that you killed it though. Me, I'd keep my mouth shut! :)

Last edited:
Well first thing i would do is bring the kids in and lock the animals up. If the kids are older enough explain to them that it is a dangerous animal and they shouldnt go near it. I think education is a beta option rather than killing anything that mite or mite not be dangerous to humans. Killing 1 spider, or snake is not really a long term solution, where there is 1 there is going to be more.Next i would make some phone calls to find a local expert or removalist to come out and check things out and if necessary remove it. To easy.

yeah i totally agree with falconboy.

its different when we hear about sharks.......we can stay out of the water. we cant really stay out of our yards or houses.

that doesnt mean that i think its right to just kill them........although in times gone by i would say that. like has been mentioned many times before, education is the key, but fear and trying to protect what you love is a natural thing. whether that fear is justified or not, people will do what they feel is best for the ones they love.

ok just to bing this one back to the topic but it looks more like a tree snake to me but im just putin my oppinion look at the head shape and the body shape looks more gree tree to me

In a way this is the same argument about kangaroos, Greenies love them, tourists love them, but the people living out bush HATE them, they get ridiculed for killing them, when they do great damage,

I understand where RBB is coming from, but if I had of seen that snake in my yard I would of killed it also, it looked like a brown snake, I wouldn't chance it.

Not everyone has time to do research about snakes, when some of them look the same, but can be completely honest.

Fair enough killing the thing, when it can get removed easily is a better option, but even from a young age, we are ALL tought that snakes and spiders are dangerous and that some can kill you.

Ease up a bit on people, and have a good time.

the great point shown is DO NOT kill a snake if you are not in danger or able to get away. It is understandable if your being constricted by a massive scrubby and you are seen as food but why kill an innocent animal if you can get away and give Snake Catcher a call? No matter if its an eastern brown or a wallaby, killing of animals should be the very last resort.

it would also help if everyone can read about or be able to identify the venomous species in their local area so that they dont kill a harmless snake or even a legless lizard..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back