Help with my jungle please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mate she is fine, leave her be and let her shed when she wants to. they don't shed there eye scales first they go through a dull crappy looking stage then return clear and sometimes body scales get less dull then can sometimes take anywhere from 5 day to 2 weeks till they shed. they shed in complete shed incuding eye scales. unless they haven't got good humidity levels and can have a bad shed (shredded up) they tend to hide more before they shed around a week before shedding. and are more grumpier dueing this time to. some snakes will feed dueing shed period and others wont.

in some of my cases Ive had a snake shed wile eating a rat lol

Why wouldnt you feed her if she will take it, There is no harm in feeding a snake on slough at all!!!

Feeding during a shed cycle CAN infact lead to problems.If the snake takes a feed in the latter part of the shed cycle (between the eyes clearing and the sloughing process) the old skin can get caught up on the bump left in the snakes stomach by the rodent, preventing the animal from being able to remove the old skin.This in effect is similar to putting an elastic band around a sheeps tail to dock it.

Ok well thanks for the reply's guys! I have woken up this morning and she has had her first shed with me! The first part of the shed is rolled so I cant check if she shed her eye lids. I took her out just then and her eyes look clear but they looked clear last night as well. What i was describing as a scab has gone a more neutral gray sort of a color. Its not yellow like the rest of her so is this a color coming through or will it stay grayish? I'll post some pics up tonight if I can find the camera she looks beautiful :)

Not at home atm so no photo but can snakes have a color that comes through late? Cause the two on the top of her head are definately not the same color as the rest of her.

Ok well here is her shed and looking damn fine if I must say so myself :p Maybe this is just a duller color? Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 100_0486.jpg
    100_0486.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_0497.jpg
    100_0497.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 41
quick Q? im a first time snake owner and my spotted childrens hasnt shed in 2 months. it is winter , but is this normal? do snakes hybernate in winter? assistance apprecited as im a little worried.

hey if you want us to have a look at the scales then your going to have to crop those pics so we can see them,
Get a pic then crop so its as close as the one in my avatar or better.

Gex

I'm no expert but that just looks like regular ol' markings on her head to me??

Feeding during a shed cycle CAN infact lead to problems.If the snake takes a feed in the latter part of the shed cycle (between the eyes clearing and the sloughing process) the old skin can get caught up on the bump left in the snakes stomach by the rodent, preventing the animal from being able to remove the old skin.This in effect is similar to putting an elastic band around a sheeps tail to dock it.

learn something new everyday. i guess i do tend to offer slightly smaller feeds when i know its close to shedding time so maybe thats why its never been an issue. although my JCP had a massive lump last time he shed and had no issues.. would this have to do with humidity? specific type of snake? (someone mentioned rough scaled pythons being more prone)? the individual snake? size difference percentage? or measurement? is age a factor? im curious if anyone has anymore information. i personally have never stopped feeding at any time for any reason other than brumation and in one case healing of GI laceration. would be interested to know specific risk factors from someone experienced with this. it is a bit off topic so PM me if you have details.

I always freak out around shedding - the snakes appear so unwell because they are dull, lethargic and the scales are flaky. The eyes clear up not long before the actual shed - i'm pretty certain that whatever skin problem your snake has (just days till shedding) will be resolved after wards. My jungle began to get what I thought were scabs around her mouth, they were brown and flaky and I was freaking out about mouth rot but problemo resolved after shedding.... just wait till she sheds and post again if there's still scabs...though i can't really see anything in that photo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back