help with my new lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_chik

Reaction score
:? i have just got a cunninghamme lizard does anyone know how often i should feed him and would he be ok if i put a shingle back with him? ??i have him in an outside cage. i am new to this reptile keeping n dont know ... plz help x_MEL_x

If they're the same size they should be ok together. The age of the lizard will depend on how often to feed. Every 1-2 days for a baby, every 2-3 days for a juvie/sub-adult, every 3-7 days for an adult. Other people may have a different opinion.

ok kool- thanx, i dont know how old he is my brother had him for about 4-6 years i have no idea how old it was when he got it i have had him for about 4 days now and was fed the day i got him. he is a bit vicious would a shingle back still b ok in with him?? or will they fight??

You may find that the cunningham will be aggressive towards the Bobtail if they are in a small enclosure where they cant escape each other. Bobtails dont usually fight back when being picked on, instead they just take the bites(from my experience).

Also it depends on where you live as to whether or not the Bobtail goes outside as the humidity on the NSW coast is usually too much for them, and leads to health problems.

i live in the south western area of sydney- tho it duz get pretty hot here sometimes the cunninghamme is fine. for him being aggressive- he chases you and bites you, this is why i wasnt sure if you could have a shingleback in with him

Not that I am trying to pick on snake_chik, but I am wondering why people start doing their research after getting their reptiles....

Rolled Oats

The pair of Cunninghams i had ate anything and everything. I live in Western Sydney and they shared an outdoor enclosure with Land Mullets, King Skinks, Blue Tongues and occasionally the Shingleback without any problem what so ever. Saying that it was a decent sized enclosure too.

As far as food goes i tend to offer food every couple of days- accuse me of over feeding but i rather keep the food on offer than try and keep track of which days i have fed them, especially as i had other animals in there with them.

I would feed them crickets, snails, xmas beetles, silkworms, pinkies, fruit etc but i often would mix tomato, lettuce, mushrooms, carrot, apple and rockmelon all shredded and mixed in with tinned dog food. They would gorge on that. The other thing i offer all my skinks is rolled oats. When cooked add a dash of milk, one egg and some honey with a few grapes.

Here's a pic of some shinglebacks that were once in my care hoeing into their oats.

Simone.

NEWTOSNAKES some people are just that excited about the idea of getting a new animal that they don't always research these things. Also in my case i get given so many rejected animals from people that i then have less than 12 hours to prepare myself for new arrivals.

ALSO a forum like this also helps as sometimes books just don't offer valuable information that many experienced keepers on this site can offer.

heheh cute pic!

Good point Simone, as much as i agree with you newtosnakes, at least she has come and asked questions at the right place (sometimes!)

SHINGLEBACKS!!!!! What a gorgeous pic! they sure love their porridge! :D

NEWTOSNAKES - if it were a snake, blue tougue, geko, beardie or anythin else like that id know what 2 feed it n look after it, the only reason i took it for my brother is because he didnt have the room anymore! id rather me take it than have it go somewhere and not get looked after properly, at least i did ask what i didnt know about it rather than doing something wrong and making it sick or worse :)

HIX - Yes, of course i have my license to keep him - i have had a snake in the past so needed it :)

NEWTOSNAKES - this is pretty much the only lizard i didnt know much about, i know my brother used to feed him roaches and crickets, but i am terriffied of roaches so i cannot give him that to eat, i didnt want him to go to a home where he would b mistreated, so i took him in n and instead of just giving him whatever to eat i asked - i think that it was smart to ask what i didnt know, :)

HIX - i do have my keepers license, needed it when i hade my diamond :D

oops- my computer was playing up - thats why the message was done twice

snake_chik i did not mean any offence when i asked, i am glad to see that you asked the question rather than just try something and find out later it was wrong. However other people buy reptiles, then realise they know nothing about them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back