Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotrodrob

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi, I am relatively new to reptile keeping, and i would like to keep some monitors, i am constructing an enclosure 2m long, 1m wide and 1m tall. I'd like to keep 2-3 monitors, and the enclosure is inside.
It will have a top that opens and a glass front. I am going to fill it with 4in of sand (is beach sand good for this?) with basking rock at one side under a lamp (what wattage should this be?) with a temp at around 50-60 degrees(?) I am going to incorparate a flourescent for UV supplementation with venting at the top to allow air exchange

Is there anything else i should do? I have kept bearded dragons/skinks of various types and geckos. These were all wild, and before i knew better:(.

Try Wikipedia or Google...

From what I have heard Storr's monitors are the easiest to keep and they are fairly small...

im after something that will grow to a respectable size, hence the 2m long enclosure, something 2-3-4ft long

What about varanus tristis? or black headed monitor they are quite nice although the ones i have been in contact with dont like to be touched much at all but make good active monitors for a display.

varanus.net is down and wiki is lacking enough info, im gonna have to look harder, oh well im in no rush

Hi HotRodRob
Drop in to Reptile City at Christies Beach we can show you our breeding set-ups & our adult monitors.
We keep & breed, Mertins Water monitors, WA Ackies & Kimburley Rock monitors.
We have bred many more species of monitors as well.
Monitors is my thing, so check us out.
Welcome to this great site,
Jason Lapins

id love to drop in but its a lttle far at the moment(i am without a car till tomorrow) so i may have to wait a couple of weeks till i come up there. That said i am very interested to see some varanids in the flesh

Maybe a change in plans, An outdoor enclosure might be on th cards. With a Brickie for a brother, and us with access to concrete, it would be cheapish. Being in Gawler SA, would i be confined to native goannas, like Sand monitors?

Also is the Perentie, Varanus Varius

Last edited:
i think varanus varius is a lace monitor. varanus giganteus is the perentie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back