Herp Hunting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakew

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going out bush looking for herps. I am both a photography and herp enthusiast and would like to put the two together.
What time of day, where should I look and what should I look for. I am in Moree.

What time of day
when the sun is out

where should I look
in the trees and on the ground

what should I look for
reptiles

:D :D :D

sorry, im still at work and im very very very very very very bord!! :evil:
good luck, somebody will be able to give you a good answer, i dont really know. you may find that no one will give you a specific location due to people cashing and keeping. post the pics when youve been.

Always ALWAYS take a friend. A "buddy system" is important when you go out bush looking for things. Carry charged mobile phones to (makes ure you have coverage where you go), and take a GPS or compass/map. It's easy to get lost out there.

Best time of the day is early in the morning til about 10 or 11am. Once the hot midday sun starts blazing down, most herps bugger off underground or go into hiding for the rest of the day. Some might come back out late in the ftaernoon to cacth the afternoon sun.

You'll spot lizards amonst ground leaf litter, under bark, rocks, etc. Snakes you'll find under logs, large rocks, amongst tall grass brushes, and up in the tree limbs (if you're lucky, you may spot a goanna resting in the lower/middle limbs of a tree.)

Pack a first aid kit to along with ya camera and read up on snakebite treatments.

Just to add onto Swiftrat's comment. I grew up in the Royal National Park (NSW) & we came across alot of snakes (mostly Red Belly Black snakes & others which we knew were not dangerous so never bothered to identify) & lizards (Blue Tounges especially)

I strongly suggest wearing thick leather hiking shoes/boots & those little sock protectors (the ones which go on over the bottom of your trousers & cover the sock & shoe opening.)This helps stop insects/leeches etc getting at your feet. If you are planning on going any depth into the bush (which you are unfamiliar with) take some water-proof matches, some travelling food (more than you think you'll need if all goes to plan), a jumper (even if it is hot) & extra water. I know it seems over-the-top but it is just so easy to get lost in unknown bushland.

Take care & be sure to post photos. Best of luck!

Regards,

Kath

jake hubby and i just moved from around there, used to live and work on a station between Moree and collarenebri. we always saw herps out there, i think just out of moree where it turns bush you should find plenty.
on the station there was always pythons in the pump houses and abandoned caravans. goannas roamed the dumps freely and lived around the houses (have a film of me hand feeding one and it trying to get into the house :shock: ) adders browns and green tree frogs lived around the quarters, green tree snakes were often seen also... it was a herpers dream.

oh yeah and what everyone else says about having someone with you and a cdma phone if poss..
we had a guy go missing on the station a year ago and he was never found.

Herpin is a great way to mix photography....

eye.jpg

Remember lots of water!! and spare batteries.....

I'd go later in the day, it's probably still fairly cool up there?
A good soft option is to wear a head torch and go out on the granite outcropings at night, heaps of geckoes up that way and their eyes shine in the torchlight.

KIngs Canyon gets pretty hot i can vouch for that....and so can this little guy. Check him out! he is on tippy toes

MrBredli said:
Didn't they find him down the pub..?

ummm no, look up James Whyte on the missing persons register, he has never been found and his dissapearence has been a complete mystery.

I can't find SQWAT down here!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couple of pissy tiny skinks and the odd bluey! I remember once seeing a Tigersnake whilst fishing, but hell, that was years ago now!!! :lol: Luckily I'm going North for the holidays! hehe

MrBredli wrote: ?Didn't they find him down the pub..?

ummm no, look up James Whyte on the missing persons register, he has never been found and his dissapearence has been a complete mystery.

Did anybody check down the pub..?

Ether, is that a Stone Gecko?

MrBredli,

that is a stone gecko, we found a cute little pair whilst herping on saturday.

We went for a bushwalk here in Sydney on Saturday, mid-late afternoon (nice little bit of sun came out) and along the banks of a river we found 3 large water dragons, a hugely fat skink and a smaller skink, there was something else..... hmmmm..... six herps in total but I can't remember the sixth!

And make sure you have a good sharp eye (hubby has one, I don't!) and look in the spots you would hide if you were a reptile.

Optical zoom is a necessity - digital zoom is crap.

If we are going for a serious bushwalk we take GPS, phones, camelback backpack, snake & reptile ID book, small first aid kit with stuff necessary for ven. bites (lots of strong bandages). And some food. Have just purchased water purification tabs too.

Anyway, all of that fits in a backpack. And wear proper sturdy shoes.

In warmer areas the very best way to look for reptiles is to drive slowly along country roads on warm nights. Up in darwin its not uncommon to get over 30 snakes a night doing this. If you go to fogg dam, you can usually score about 50 or 60 water pythons ;).

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back