Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Last saturday night I did the exact opposite of normal folk, I headed away from population centres and went herping. I'd been planning to do this for a few days, and although the day started well (hot and fairly humid) it suddenly got cold as a cool change moved through. Due to the cool temps, we weren't holding out much hope for many herps, so we took spotlights with us to try for some mammals.
Fear gripped me when we got out of the car.... my breath condensed in the air... not a great sign if you want to find herps. it was at this point my ears pricked up and a wave of relief hit me. The sound of frogcall filled the air. Litoria verreauxii, Limnodynastes peroni and Crinia signifera we calling from a nearby dam on private property.

From that point on it was clear that tonight belonged to the Amphibians.

The first frog we turned up was the fairly common Litoria peroni or perons tree frog. Looks fairly similar to Litoria tyleri but calls differ. This one was stone cold, sitting in the middle of the track.
Litperoni2.jpg

Litperoni.jpg

as we neared a rocky stream bed, we could hear Psuedophryne australis , the red crowned froglet calling from nearby heath next to a drainage line. It was too thick and destructive to go after an endangered species, so we continued on out way.

Upon reaching the creeck bed, we spotted several frogs sitting on flat rocks in the middle of the stream... They turned out to be Lesueurs frogs Litoria lesueurii. These were all males, clearly in bright yellow breeding colour.
Litlesueri.jpg

Litleseuri2.jpg

Calling from just near the Lesueurs frogs was another impressive species. The unmistakable "plonk" of a banjo frog Limnodynastes dumeriliigave away an adult males position. They call from the very edge of the bank, often from underneath vegetation or an undercut stream bank.
Limdumerili.jpg

Calling in the same area was a newly descibed species. Litoria nudidigita[/I is almost identical to Litoria phyllochroa in every way, differing only by the call. We found more of this species furthur downstream on fallen logs over water.

Lnudidigita.jpg

Lnudidigita2.jpg

Arguably one of the most spectacular frog species in the Sydney region, the Blue Mountains Tree Frog Litoria citropawas a source of alot of excitement as the two herpers with me had never seen them before. We found quite a few, and several males were calling (if you haven't heard their call, track down a recording, it's awesome). Here are a few pics (they are my favourite, so i'm posting four pics instead of two).

Litcitropa4.jpg

Litcitropa3.jpg

Litcitropa2.jpg

Litcitropa1.jpg

Note the bright pink-orange leg markings, fairly unique amongst the tree frogs.

Oh, and we also found a leaf tail gecko Phyllurus platurus.
Pplaturus.jpg

If there were any major errors, please correct me! No, I'm not telling you where i went...
Don't steal my photos either!

All the best,

-H

Yeah I know Jason... one of my herping companions is of middle eastern descent.... I'm surprised that you cunning shirelings didn't pick up his scent and hunt us down... I guess we got away...... this time.......

-H

Shire Way!!! Ya Donkey! should have given me a call??

We should stalk him and follow him next time. :)

Its quite amazing how easy it is to find frogs locally - I took a not even 10min walk into the bush looking for good bark and came across storm water run off with frogs going nuts. Unfortunately I have a dodgy knee so didn't explore any more, plus it looked like rain. :shock:

Can't wait to plan a trip sometime.

i am suprised we didn't pick them up at the gates-have to have a word with the sentries. if ever u need some local knowledge p.m. me

Yeah I know Jason... one of my herping companions is of middle eastern descent.... I'm surprised that you cunning shirelings didn't pick up his scent

I know you didn't mean that the way it sounded, but I still can't believe you said that!! LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Well I went way out of the Shire to find these last night (thursday).

Attachments

• lesueurii.jpg
    lesueurii.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Blue Mountains1.jpg
    Blue Mountains1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Banjo1.jpg
    Banjo1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 55
  • peronii.jpg
    peronii.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 58
we did find a couple of non froggy herps

Attachments

• Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Banjo2.jpg
    Banjo2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 52
  • smalleye.jpg
    smalleye.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 76
  • waterdragon.jpg
    waterdragon.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 73
hard to take a bad photo of Blue Moutains Tree Frogs, the Heath Monitor was found in the Shire, yesterday morning, on my morning herp.

Attachments

• citropa1.jpg
    citropa1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 47
  • citropa2.jpg
    citropa2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 53
  • phyllochroa.jpg
    phyllochroa.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 53
  • heathy.jpg
    heathy.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 66
Nice pics guys ,

going to be travelling through the shire tonight that ok with you guys ?? :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back