Herps around Byron Bay

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm on holidays next week and I'm going up to Byron for a couple of weeks. Anybody got any tips for me for seeing some local herps while I'm there?

Even anything on the way would be useful as I will be driving.

Thanks

plenty of eastern browns around the paths around the blocks just back from the main beach (Look for the signs 8) )

coastals through the bushwalk up to the lighthouse

Eastern beardeds on the bush tracks through the back of tallow beach

heaps of green tree snakes as well

cheers

Jonny

beware of packs of the dreaded "Byron Hippy" though, they are yellow bellied, and red necked - they have been known to take down famous fisherman in one foul swoop.

Try the rainforest areas along Main Arm road from Mullumbimby 20 mins out of Byron.
Along the roads many species can be seen basking aswell as many frogs.
But in the rainforest Coastal Carpets,Pink Tongues,Southern Angleheads,Land Mullets,Lace Monitors,Green Trees,Rough Scaled Snake and more.
Look in creeks and rivers and you may even find saw shelled Turtles.
Kurt

hey Linus
not sure of any particular spots around byron... could try the bush around the golf course.. get some carpet pythons and turtles around there...
or feel free to come out to my place (i live around 30-40 mins from byron) theres a nice creek across the road.. lots of saw shelled turtles in there... i saw about 8 of them one day.. and there are carpet pythons, green tree snakes, beardies, waterdragons, lots of skinks..

also another place in lismore (around 20 mins from byron), up the road from where i use to live was a rainforest walk... rotary park.. there are some awsome looking carpet pythons there, bluies, southern angle headed dragons, lots of skinks and some nice looking birds too.. also some red bellies have been seen around too oh and frogs... and some massive fig trees!!

or if you go to whian whian (umm about 20-30 mins from byron)... there's a nice water fall and water holes, turtles, lots of eels, pythons and green tree snakes if you go for a bit of a bush walk... and i'm sure you'd find some water dragons, beardies, and other lizards if you were looking..

umm where else... i've been told of people finding carpet pythons around there camp sites at byron..

another place is woody heads.. about an hour or so from byron... near a place called iluka or yamba.. there are always goannas around not sure if there lace monitors or sand monitors.. havent been for a couple of years.. oh and thats a camping ground..

if i think of anywhere else i'll let you know... you'll have a great holiday the far north coast is great!! let me know if you want some one to show you around the country side.. i'd only charge a small fee ;) :D

oh just thought of another place... rocky creek dam... near whian whian.. its our town water supply... nice big dam... lots of turts and water birds... a couple of rain forest walks lots of lizards skinks monitors, pythons and i'd say a couple of browns and red bellies

good luck with it
Megz

Thanks for that everyone. Good info there :)

That waterfall at whian whian sounds like worth checking out regardless of herps retilegirl. Thanks for taking time to write all that too. :)

hey linus
yeah whian whian is awsome!! go there for sure... if you cant find it by yourself... there should be some places in byron that actually do bus tours and will take you there...

also i know a few people around here that have some good size properties... that i'm sure you'd be welcome to go bush walking on... my aunty has quite alot of snakes at their place... it use to be called adder-vale.. so theres adders, tiger snakes, bandi bandi's, red bellies, browns, green tree snakes and carpet pythons... and there just that ones that have been see around the house..

let me know if your interested at all and i'll try n set something up for ya..
Megz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back