Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james5665

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been a silent observer on this forum for a while but I thought i would make an account as I hope to be purchasing my first python in the next few weeks! :D and of course i am SUPER EXCITED :) I am looking at getting either a Stimsons, a Spotted or possibly even a Jungle Python, all of which are species i would love to own so it is just coming down to what i can find locally. I know jungles are not beginner pythons, however i worked at Australia Zoo for a while and have some experience handling snakes and other animals (if i can manage to get an unfriendly elephant to play nice i figure a jungle python won't be that hard :p). I live in Brisbane and have been told that due to our climate, I can get away with only a heat mat + thermostat for the time being. I am going to buy a Hatchie/yearling so i was planning on keeping it in a tub habitat for a little while and getting a viv set up in the next few months. If any of this sounds like a bad idea, please let me know! I would like all the advice I can get!!

Hi James and welcome to APS!
Remeber when you do get your first snakey we would love to see lots of photos :)
I think Simpsons and Children's pythons are great for first snake owners, I have a children's python myself, they are so placid and super friendly & don't mind being handled lots :) jungle pythons are amazing, there bright colours are so pretty, I have only looked after adults so I can't help you with any young questions for them.
Best of luck with it all, there are so many helpful people on this forum who I'm sure will love to help you out with any questions :)
Em

G'Day, welcome to the site! Jungles aren't as mean as everyone says they are....well mine is a sweetie anyway :D Spotteds are great as well! Love my girl <3 They are lovely, small, cute and have a pretty pattern ;)

Any advice please ask! This is a great site! And good luck with your new baby, sounds like you have everything set up and ready! Just make sure it doesn't get too hot in there on the really hot days!

Best of luck, Sharkyy

Hey and welcome to APS I think you should get a jungle they where my first snake and I love them but really choosing your first snake at of the ones you said it really doesn't matter all are great snakes all feed well and all grow to a good size. Make sure to post photo.

Thanks! you guys are all so nice :) Yeah i am definitely leaning more toward a jungle, they are just so beautiful!!

Welcome.
Any living creature will have its own personality so don't be put off by generalizations of species EG: jungles are snappy !
If we all listened to that theory, nobody would own anything other than a pet rock !
Just keep in mind that any hatchie of any species is likely to be snap happy - they're fairly low on the food chain and giant hands coming at them must be fairly scarey ! And again they all react differently - I have 5 sibling Darwin's, two were nervous hatchies. But one would strike at the air (bluff attack) the other would run and hide ! When I handled the air attack ace he would wrap so tight around my wrist it would turn my fingers blue. 2 years on he still does his air strike thing and on the rare occasion he connects its always a hit and run, thankfully he doesn't hang on tight like he use to (but still firmer than the others )
Research each species and go with what you like - although I wouldn't recommend a green tree python as a first choice, they're very specific in their needs, Carpet pythons are more forgiving of newbie mistakes :)

Have fun and let us know what your final decision is:)

Welcome.
Any living creature will have its own personality so don't be put off by generalizations of species EG: jungles are snappy !
If we all listened to that theory, nobody would own anything other than a pet rock !
Just keep in mind that any hatchie of any species is likely to be snap happy - they're fairly low on the food chain and giant hands coming at them must be fairly scarey ! And again they all react differently - I have 5 sibling Darwin's, two were nervous hatchies. But one would strike at the air (bluff attack) the other would run and hide ! When I handled the air attack ace he would wrap so tight around my wrist it would turn my fingers blue. 2 years on he still does his air strike thing and on the rare occasion he connects its always a hit and run, thankfully he doesn't hang on tight like he use to (but still firmer than the others )
Research each species and go with what you like - although I wouldn't recommend a green tree python as a first choice, they're very specific in their needs, Carpet pythons are more forgiving of newbie mistakes :)

Have fun and let us know what your final decision is:)

I like my pet rock altho can be quite tempramental lol
But yeah i have a beautiful windora stimson and a snappy spotted lol getting my albino darwin soon sooo yay IM EXCITED TOO
Cathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to APS James,
IMHO, I'd go for a hatchie if possible. My reasoning is that you can get used to handling a smaller snake and the bites are a lot easier to survive..lol. Also in a lot of cases the yearlings that have been kept back or not sold by breeders have spent their time in click clacks and not handled except for feeding and cleaning. Takes a lot for a 12 month old snake to allow you to handle it.

As for type, that's a purely a personal choice in the long run, my first snake was a yearling Jungle and very steroetypical and just plain nasty when I got her. She's a pussy cat now though and can be handled safely by anyone, including kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back