Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsAeren

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im a newbie but have loved snakes for years. So I have decided to start researching and decide what to buy. This is where I need some help. Can anyone give me any suggestions for a small breed. I would like my children to be involved so I would like something that is under a metre long as an adult. Then I can save for my ultimate snake, an albino. Also have some questions that I havent found answers for in the "tips for newbies" thread.

Is there a size of snake to tank ratio? I know to big is bad so how much room do they really need.

Also, the guy at the pet shop said that I should be careful if I use a glass tank as the heat will escape. Is this true? I know people use them. And I live in qld and is quite warm in winter.

Ok I think thats it so far. I got heaps of info from the newbie thread.

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

In NSW there is a 'code of practice' which I feel is reasonable for pythons so you could use it as a starting point regarding cage size. Google it and you should find it.

Smaller pythons are childrens pyhton and spotted python, both are from the antaresia family. These would be the most available smaller species to keep and you can find loads of information for them in books and online.

Bigger cages are not necessarily bad, you just need to make sure the snake has plenty of places to hide itself and does not feel scared or threatened. My Spotted Python is full grown at approx 1m long and I have her in a 4 foot by 2 foot glass enclosure. She has a commercial hide at the hot end and LOTS of fake plants and some branches to fill the middle and cold end. She hides herself pretty well in these and loves to explore them. Click clacks are a better idea for hatchies though. You can search such topics on the forum to get ideas.

It is true that heat will escape a glass tank, but you can build or purchase a fake rock wall, or buy some fabric/plastic images (like for fish tanks) to put on the back/side walls which can help to keep the heat inside.

Ultimately, as long as you meet the needs of the animal then the rest is up to you.

Have fun with it :D
Amber

Thanks for that Amber. I did think that the childrens and spotted were the way to go. With the fish tank pictures, do you put it on the inside or out? If the inside you would have to stick it on so the snake wouldnt get behind it? I know not to have anything sticky in the tank so a clean just is a must.

Hi, welcome to APS.

In QLD we don't have mandatory cage sizes, but a 4x2x2 is a fairly common size and it is easy to pick up 2nd hand 4ft fish tanks or enclosures. I personally prefer enclosures over fish tanks as they offer better ventilation and I like having the opening on the side rather than the top. I build my 4x2x2 enclosure myself which was cheap, easy and enjoyable. The kids can get involved in the creative side like making rock walls, hides, and general decorating. Take a look at the diy section, there are some impressive builds and lots of different ideas.

Childrens, stimsons, spotted are apparently good beginner pythons and very common. Womas are also another to consider. Boodarie womas only get to around 1.2 m.

Hatchies can be a good way to ease yourself ito owning a python as they are small, can be kept in a click clack and won't break the skin if they bite, although adultsof these smaller species won't have painful bites. The only down side to hatchies is they can be easily scared until they get a bit of size.

The other alternative is getting a juvenile or adult with a tested temperament. This way you know you are getting a placid snake.

Hi RedFox,

Thanks for your reply. I have had a look in the DIY and already have some awesome ideas. Do you suggest a hatchie or a juvenile to begin with? I have handled snakes before but Im no expert. How long would it take a hatchie to grow from a click clack to a normal size enclosure? If i get a hatchie I would have time to finish its enclosure. Also how do you get a snakes temperament tested?

Hi MrsAeren :)
Hatchies are a little unpredictable. By the time a snake is 1+ years old you can judge its temperament and amenability to handling more easily. At this age they can be put into a more permanent enclosure as well.

Thanks Leasdraco. Im in two minds whether to get a hatchling to get my children involved while its little or get a juvenile so I can put it in its permanent enclosure. What would a snake be happier with? Being free. hahaha. At what age would the snake be more adaptable to change if any? I think Im thinking about a spotty or stimsons. Cant decide.

Age isn't so much to worry, more so the size of the snake that determines cage size. Smaller snakes can be more defensive than their full grown counterparts as they feel vulnerable and scared. If you get a hatchie you will just 'know' when it has out grown the click clack. And how much you feed will determine how big and how fast your snake grows.

I've personally kept my young snakes in click clacks for 6 months or so. Then I upgraded to a 2' wood/glass tank to grow then out a bit more, then into the 4' x 2' Dalbarb tanks that mine live in. If I think the snake might still be a little small for the Dalbarb I tend to go over the top with hides and foliage/branches (more hiding therefore making it feel more secure).

I think getting a hatchie is a great idea as your skills can grow with the snake. Plus in 5 years time you can admire the beast you grew since it was the size of your pinky :D
To chose between a spotted or stimsons, perhaps try searching for breeders near you who may let you look at their stock and find a snake that is nice and placid?

Keep us updated! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that Amber. I did think that the childrens and spotted were the way to go. With the fish tank pictures, do you put it on the inside or out? If the inside you would have to stick it on so the snake wouldnt get behind it? I know not to have anything sticky in the tank so a clean just is a must.

A good rule is to never put anything sticky inside your reptile tank as you said. But last night I woke up to find my spotted basking on top of the goanna tank :shock: I use Dalbarb tanks and at the back of the hot side they have a hole for cords that is covered by a piece of plastic held tight with a tiny screw. I was under the impression it was tight but alas, apparently not because it was open and obviously her escape method.
The point of my story is I had considered using masking tape on the outside of the tank to hole the plastic more secure, and I am glad I decided against it. God only knows the trouble she would have gotten herself in if she managed to open the plastic then went face first into tape!

So.... with the pictures I would personally glue/nail them to cork board/foam and wedge the cork board flush into the cage, using silastic to seal the edges so that your beloved critter cannot get stuck behind it. With silastic you can also just remove it at a later date if you wish.

And I didn't even think of a woma! They are also generally a great snake to keep.

Hi Amber,

Getting a hatchie was my idea. Growing with the snake and dealing with the snake and not its size first. I think a smaller snake will be great for my children to learn with, again not dealing with the size first up. How do I find breeders in my area? Is there a classifieds or something along those lines? I have started building an enclosure, its probably not quite big enough for its permanent so would be good for the step before. At what age do snakes reach full grown? I assume each species differ so the childrens, spotties and stimsons? I really got to get some books!

It all depends how often they are fed. Fish generally only grow to suit the size of their tanks, and snakes will grow to how much you feed them regardless of tank size.

I read on here a while ago someone said that a snakes major growth spurts are in the first 7ish years but from then they do not necessarily stop growing, they just slow dramatically. But rest assured they should not grown too far in excess of the recorded average length of the species in question.

As for finding a breeder, you can search your location in the search bar to find anyone in your area who may be on here and they might help, or go onto classified sites as you suggested, Reptiles Down Under is a good site. As you are in QLD your license lets you advertise on gumtree and such so perhaps have a look on there. Failing all that, start a thread on here asking if anyone can point you towards a well known breeder in your region :)

Thanks again Amber. I did have a quick look at Reptiles Down Under.

Another question and I know there is various opinions on this as I read some threads about it, just cant remember which ones.
Do you feed your snake in or out of the enclosure? I mainly want to know if you feed in, does it mean that the snake is more likely to bite you if you put your hands in to take it out? Yes I know there are times where the snake will want to be left alone eg. after eating. Is it gathered that they prefer a certain way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back