Hi, From Brisbane, looking for snake pet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seksyjinke

Reaction score
Hi snake lovers around oz,

my name is Jinke., 21 yr old, Brisbane

I have never seen a snake in real life (seriously) only on tv and today for the first time, went to a shopping mall and saw them on display at a talk show... wow they are so amazing!!!

I spoke to the snake caretaker for about 30min on these wonderful creatures and he recommeded me to go online and search on them... you will find tonnes of info on snakes...
so i went on google and ended up here.

I am very eager to look after a pet snake in the near future and want to find out more about them through this forum, i can see heaps of enthusiastic members sharing the passion for these slithering devils.

The caretaker recommended me to
1) get a licence from EPA...
2) buy a python that is a yearling and has shed its skin at least once and eats dead mices

i am having some trouble filling out the licence and also finding somewhere that
1) sells snakes around the brisbane area.
2) someone to teach me how to look after them properly
can someone recommend me anywhere?

thanks

Jinke

I think that your better off getting an established hatchy (sone that has a good record of taking food unassisted)
There are a few people around the brisse are that could point you in the right direction.
If possible stay away from buying from a pet shop. just my opinion tho.
Welcome and Goodluck!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Try Simon at Everything Reptiles on Manly Road, Manly West.

He has a great range of products and sells Stimpson, Children's and Spotted Pythons as well as a small range of lizards & turtles.

Everything Reptile

If your looking to find out more info on keeping them, a good place to start is by buying some books about them, and have a read. The ones i liked the most are :
- Care of Australian reptiles in Captivity, by john Wiegel ( Info on species , feeding, enclosures etc.)
-What's Wrong With My Snake?, By John Rossi, And Roxanne Rossi. ( About common problems etc)

thank you for all ur war mwelcome...

i will drive down to simons tomorrow and have a chat with him :)

Another good book if you end up getting a carpet python is 'Keeping Carpet Pythons' by Simon Kortlang & Darren Green, they also have a 'Keeping Children's Pythons' too....I found the one on Carpet Pythons very good when I first got my Bredli

I got the Reptiles of Australia book and looked at loads and loads of piks, till i spotted a snake i really liked, then did the research and discovered it wasnt the cheapest one out there, but i got it anyways.
I Dont regret my choice at all, he is a awesome first snake and growing fast.. Thats my BHP (black-headed python) "Dagger"

go on the EPA website and fill a form on there for ur license... they will, within 5 mins, send ur license details to ur email and away u go ha..... if u have any trouble, email someone from EPA and they will guide u to the respective link to fill ur form out and also answer any of ur questions...

good luck

go on the EPA website and fill a form on there for ur license... they will, within 5 mins, send ur license details to ur email and away u go ha..... if u have any trouble, email someone from EPA and they will guide u to the respective link to fill ur form out and also answer any of ur questions...

good luck

thank you for that..

i am on the website.. it says u have to post it or something...

there isnt an electronic form.. well at least none i can find on the EPA website...

im not sure what to fill in the bit that says where are you getting ur reptile from and who is the supplier.. since i don't know anything.. do i leave that blank?

thank you

try to avoid a pet store send den a PM on here he is in ipswitch and should be able to look after you. i have bought a coupl off him in the past and all good snakes. and welcome to the herp addiction

Another book that I found a great help was "Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons" edited by Mike Swan. Just a thought, you may like to join a Herp club so that you can talk to like minded people which can be a great help for getting started, sourcing a snake and for future help.

could someone please link me the correct form...

i did find one but it didnt say anything about how much...

it just had some forms to fill out and also tells me where to post it.. thats it

'Keeping Childrens Pythons' by Greg Fyfe and Darren Green is a good book, I read it and even though I ended up with 2 types of carpet python, it still helped me alot!

thank you all...

great pictures in the gallery sections!!

i really like the yellow patterned ones..

tomoro im getting the license submitted and then off to check out some cages and etc and talk to some snake experts :)

thank you for the link...

i have decided to sort everything tomorrow

1)apply for the licence
2) talk to a reptile shop owner about snakes
3) buy all the nessaary equipment from some members and shops
4) buy some books about how to look after snakes
5) search for a snake i like..... i really want one that is still very young and doesnt look scarey
6) wait 2 weeks until i get the licence :)

Do anyone use msn messenger, would really like to discover more on snakes and their individual behaviours from a closer perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back