Hi from new snake owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saddlebum

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Thought I'd best introduce myself as I'll probably be driving you up the wall with dumb questions in the near future.
My name is Pete, live in Melbourne, Married, 4 kids, 1 grandson (the apple of my eye, and a granddaughter due any day), 4 dogs, 1cat, 2 tanks of fish, 1 rabbit, 2 horses, 2 cockatiels, 4 canaries, 2 lovebirds, 3 frogs, 1 scorpion, and my newest pet, a Water Python, sorry if I've left anybody out, but it's been a busy week!

I got my Water Python (Liasis Fuscus) 4 weeks ago, she's (I think it's a she anyway, the previous owner did'nt know, something I would like to find ouy for certain) 8 years old and been handled extensively, probably a bit over 7 feet long (havent been able to measure her properly as yet, she wont hold still), I dont suppose you can tell from her shed skin can ya? She shed yesterday and the skin is over 8 feet long but I imagine it's a bit stretched?
I was told she has never even tried to bite in the 6.5 years the other bloke had her.
I am really enjoying having her as a pet and dont know why I didnt get a Python years ago!
I may have started something tho, a couple of the kids want snakes now.
Sorry for rambling! Hope to get to know you all and learn heaps!
My Daughter just walked in and gave me a new book, Australian snakes a natural history, I'm going to have a read!
Also, found this while looking for info, sorry if its in the wrong list maybe a moderator could move it if needed?

New Python Breed "Rocks" Florida | NBC Miami

Thanks for reading this longish post!
Pete.

welcome to aps no question seems to be a dumb question on here. have found the ppl to be great and very helpful when they know and have been through it. just search other or older treads befor asking a question as they might give you the answer. anyway great to have you here

Hey Pete, welcome to APS.

You will certainly enjoy the sometimes entertaining threads on here. Just a tip, try the search bar first and then ask what you can't find lol will save u alot of hassle.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you? Bet you are happy with your purchase! I sold mine as she never settled! Was a little psycho lol. Beautiful snakes tho.

Enjoy

Hi Jay.
Sorry for taking so long to reply but had to work the last couple of days, got a few days off now.
I live in Mill Park (area), the other end of town pretty much from you.
Yeah, I'm more than happy with my purchase! I've actually spent more on bits and pieces for her than I paid for her and my wife gets a discount from the shop she works in (big pet store), the enjoyment I get from just owning her is way more than worth it tho, I love watching her doing snake stuff! :shock:
I put a large water dish into her tank the other day and she's been spending most of her time in it, will post some pix of her later on (once I work out how, havent done it in a while).
Anyway, thanks for the reply(s)!

Pete.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
you sound like you're a late starter.... we seem to be having a flood of "older newbies" its nice to know that we can still be awestruck by nature no matter what our age, you will get 20 different opinions to any single question you ask, think of it as your first child.....trial and error, but it gets easier with each new arrival. LOL welcome aboard the reptile train,

Hi Pete, I'm an "older" newbie too as Jax puts it....trust me....Jax is REALLY OLD !!! lol. I got my first snake in March, he's a Stimsons python, 17 months old now, and I adore him, his name is Barrie, actually I don't really know the sex. I only wanted a small snake and he's just perfect for me. I also have 2 dogs and several fish, plus a wonderful hairy husband, 2 adult kids and 4 grandsons. Unfortunately my little family all live on the opposite side of Australia, Vic (Geelong) and Brisb. so I rarely see them. :-(

I'm sure you'll have fun here, some of us are quite mad...but then what is "normal"

Cheers, Annie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back