Hi from South Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the distance from the heat lamp to the basking spot?
You said you have a heatmat set at 32, also back to the 100w light, ……. .it went from around 32 down to about 20
i’ve just tested with the temp gun (infared, great toy) and my girl is 33c, from a 60w globe... the distance between her to the heat lamp is 20cm

where are the probes or thermometers placed?

Can you post a pic of your setup ?

I have around 25 at the basking spot and the distance is about the same as yours, is that too high? I was told it was ok there at that temp, there is another area at the other end which is cooler at about 18 to 20.
Where the mat is, is set to 32
the thermometer probes are set at the cool and warm basking ends and the thermostat is on the mat itself.

are the probes from the thermostat or a totally seperate thermostat ? and are they on the wall ? 25c from a 100w lamp at 20cm doesn't sound right ??

the double probes are from a separate thermometer set at either end the one under the light is almost touching her rock, the other is the same at the cool end, but this one just above the floor. The one for the mat is attached to the mat and has a auto shut down, but I have it taken out for the moment as I was getting confused and thought it was safer to leave out till I was sure what I was doing again. At the moment it's only the light and the thermometer probes, will try to take pics in a few min and upload them if I can get the right light for cam

still doesn't sound right, LOL i think i'd be getting a second opinion from another thermometer....one from the $2 shop will do, just don't leave it in there with her,

lol, I just measured the distance again as I wasn't happy with the first and it's came to 31 cm on the hot side, I measured from the bottom of the cage by mistake. I can raise it up more to reduce the distance and increase the heat if necessary, not so difficult with the rocks etc that I have they are stable and won't fall. I have a digital thermo and will also check with that
Pics are on now

i found the digital (mouth type) thermometers aren't any good at measuring air temp, don't suppose you've got one hanging around in the garden ??? raise the rocks maybe, but i wouldn't increase the 100w globe,

Welcome cosmicwolf4. Great to have another South ozzie on board. Be sure to join the South Aussie group too yeah?
Love your set up..just had a peek. Only thing I'm going to say is get rid of the heat mat. If you get your lamp right, you wont need it & they can be a fire hazard. Do a search of heat mats & see for yourself. I do have one in use but it is buried in sand so no way it can catch fire or melt. In re of feeding a pinkie rat..why?? Pinkies dont have a great deal to offer a 7 month old snake so dont waste your money. Stick to weaner rats imo.

HI kakariki, Thanks for the welcome and I did join a South Ozzie group. I think I agree with the opinions about the heat mat, I had a bit of trouble with it the other night, didn't have thermo connected properly and it started to overheat big time, that's another reason I removed it.
I wasn't sure of the pinkies either, but being totally unsure, I thought to err on the side of caution, won't matter too much, they can stay in the freezer till I get another snake and hopefully by the time I have this set up going well, I'll be able to up to another one.
As I've said before, I just want to make sure I'm doing what's right for her and that she's safe and comfortable.
I've found everyone so far to be really helpful, I was just getting a bit overwhelmed by the info from everyone lol
I seem to be getting it better tonight, I couldn't sleep and so got up and checked her heat settings and she's 29.8 down to 19.3 with just the light going. Way better than before on the hot side which was around 25 or 26 mostly.

Hi Cosmic Wolf, welcome to the hobby, but be warned, its very addictive lol I had a peek at your enclosure and it looks fantastic. Temps can be very confusing to begin with, but dont worry, you get the hang of it after awhile. I still get confused from time to time

Elviria is a gorgeous little Woma, Tanami's are one of my most favourite types of Woma's and she certainly seems very loved.

Thanks Shnakey, She sure is loved and spoiled lol She deas have a fantastic temerament and these have always had a soft spot in my heart. I would like to get at least anoth one once I get this set up right and I'm a bit more knowledgeable about them, was thinking either anoer Tanami or a Black head which just look awesome also.
The temps are a bit confusing, but I'm starting to get it right now, it's a little warmer in there tonight, it's around the high end of 29 right now and my room is quite cold ATM, so I feel it's stabilising for the moment and I'm not going to stress again till morning lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back