Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Pete thinks they're not pure diamonds.... except for Steve's...
Thanks for answering my question Pythoninfinite.
So he's spoken out before about suspect Diamonds, I'm assuming.
Fair enough, as there's alot of high yellow "Diamonds" running around of questionable purity.
It's understandable on the part of owners to think they have a pure Diamond, as they've usually got to trust the breeder or seller to some extent when buying.
It's a difficult one, particularly as even pure Diamonds have a wide variety of legitimate markings even within one clutch from the same parents.
I dare say that there's some intergrade influence in many so called "high yellow Diamonds". I've even read somewhere that some have mcdowelli in their bloodline.
Trouble is, telling real yellow Diamonds from "high yellow Diamonds", which are often impure it seems.
Someone should sit down and codify the legitmate markings & patterns of pure Diamonds so that the average punter can discern pure Diamonds from hybrids. Otherwise, with all due respect, (IMO) we'll end up with % crosses like the North Americans. At least in the U.S they're more open about the % of their Diamonds. i.e 75% , 88% etc.
It's a tricky one. Whilst we don't want to encourage hybridizing, does making it taboo make things worse :?: :?

Agree there John,

The top photo of mine is a local from my area, the second pics im not sure where it originated from, and the third is an intergrade from Port Mac, which Night Owl now owns, if you look at the patterns of the rosettes then you can see significant differences in the patterns, they last photo you can see the rostettes joined as opposed to distinct seperate rosttes which usually have between 4-8 white scales.

When GetCoiled (Stefano) releases his book on the complex you will see the varying patterns of the diamonds from Kangaroo Valley to Gosford and then the significant change in patterning from North of there. Up to Coffs where they change again. There all still spectacular though, whatever amount of rosettes or patterns they have.

The top photo of mine is a local from my area, the second pics im not sure where it originated from, and the third is an intergrade from Port Mac... if you look at the patterns of the rosettes then you can see significant differences in the patterns, they last photo you can see the rostettes joined as opposed to distinct seperate rosttes which usually have between 4-8 white scales.

Thanks for unravelling the mystery a little more there Steve.
It's funny cause I had a good hard look at your last pic and thought mmmmm :? ...that one looks like it may be intergrade or DiamondXIntergrade.
You're second pic looks pure as the driven snow to me and your first pic is a classic real yellow IMO.

I agree that fused rosettes are definitely an indicator of hybidization.
However, I've seen legitimate (100% pure) Diamonds with some oblique rosettes & others with some broken posterior banding.
There's a fine line indeed.
It often comes down to having seen alot of wild ones and their wide range of natural variation, to be able to tell them apart from hybrids.

When GetCoiled (Stefano) releases his book on the complex you will see the varying patterns of the diamonds from Kangaroo Valley to Gosford and then the significant change in patterning from North of there. Up to Coffs where they change again. There all still spectacular though, whatever amount of rosettes or patterns they have.
I look forward to reading that when it comes out, if he does an English version of course :lol:

I am with Jamie here in that they are just a locale specific carpet. They are different from diamonds and different from coastals, occur in a particular range and have the same characteristics?

I bet Pete thinks they're not pure diamonds

I have said that many a time. I even started a thread a while back asking "What makes a real Diamond", which died very quickly. I know the truth hurts :evil: . I can honestly say that I don't own any True Diamonds, mine are Natural Intergrades, all 4 of them. However mine do seem to throw a lot of yellow.

That book sounds interesting Steve, will definately have a read.

Cheers

Thanks for being up front about your intergrade Glimmerman.
A natural intergrade is a perfectly legitimate regional variation IMO.
They should be treasured and preserved as a pure form that's every bit as valuable as a pure Diamond or pure mcdowelli.

Now that you've come clean :lol: I can say, I thought so.
The broken dorsal stripe is another indicator/feature of intergrades or hybridization. That patterning is distinctly absent from any pure Diamond I've ever seen.
However anterior lateral pin-striping is a perfectly legitimate feature of many pure Diamond specimens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back