Holes In Terra Cotta Hides..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are you talking about thoughs upside down plate like terrocotta pots?

if so i had problems at first but then ended up just giving the area i wanted a hole in a nice whack with a small hammer (not to hard) and then sanded the edges smoothe with sand paper and i think a bit of water (dont entirely remember)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Colin, Im not insistant on using the pots, but had heard that they do a good job of both retaining heat and providing good solid shelter. Will check out Bunnings tomorrow though as your suggestion of using the plastic water retainers for pots sounds good.

Love your idea Colin, will use that for my coastals.
Like the grinder idea but dunno if I would buy a diamond blade just to do that.
Where would one get a diamond cutting blade from?

I use glazed terrocotta hides for my geckos, hit them from the inside out, just clipping the lip, should be about a 85% success rate.

I did 4 this morning witha diamond blade on my 5 inch angle grinder, all spot on and the snakes love them. I bought them in coles today for $1.89 and thay are 160mm square by about 120mm high. They are glazed which will keep them more sanitary and easier to clean. So if you have any boilermaker mates or tiler mates, give them a buzz and I'm sure they'd help out.

I've made a couple of terracotta hides using the angle grinder to do the holes. Then I put a glazed ceramic plant saucer on top - gluing it with builder's adhesive. They look like thick-stemmed mushrooms. The snakes sometimes like them, but cardboard boxes are much easier and popular. I like Colin's ideas - will have to get some of that aluminium tracking and some plastic tubs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back