Horror movie advice please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LullabyLizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all!!

What is a really scary horror movie? Any advice please :D

Rosabella 8)

As stupid as it sounds, I still have a soft spot for the Blair Witch Project :) which is followed up an equal second by The Exorcist (Neither I would recommend to a 14yr old by the way :lol: - no offence I hope :D)

I really want to see the exorcist, but every time I go to rent it its out :evil: Someone reccomended "The Omen", but that was boring lol :p

Wow... I was expecting to see a whole bunch of idiot movies written here (I know, I have high expectations of APS members) - but I was surprised to see intelligent movies....

Donnie Darko - although not scary, has an amazingly funny (very black humour) story line that I am not sure anyone knows - but it is a great movie (top 10 of all time).

The Blair Witch Project - I went to that movie with my girlfriend when it came out and I told her it was the real videos found. She couldn't sleep for three weeks afterwards. I think I even scared myself. Probably my top horror of all time.

Not so sure about the Exorcist though... it gave me goosebumps, but it never rated that highly.

The Evil Dead was so brilliant - haha.. I loved it - but... I watched it again recently and I was bitterly disappointed! I can't stand any of the follow up movies to it though...

Planet Terror is cooooool - I think you need to understand the genre to enjoy it though - but it is cool!

I haven't seen a lot of horrors recently - the ones I have, have been less than scary that's for sure.

Was it 1308? I can't even remember the name of it - I was expecting so much more from it from reading write ups.

The Grudge - worse in english... as was the other one about the video you watch, then you get a phone call and then you die within 7 days or something.. hmmmmm

Well, good horrors are like women - hard to find but when you do they turn out hell scary!

Somewhere lying around I have Empire magazine's all time greatest horror films, and I did my final year major essay at uni on Representations of Teenage Sexuality in US Slasher Films!

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho is arguably the mother of all suspense/horror films and is a brilliant example of how suspense and subtlety can create a great mood for the entire film. The shower scene is very representative of its time in that you see very little while much is implied.

The Shining is the all time classic suspense/terror film - rivers of blood, possessed children, psychotic Jack Nicholson - all the elements are there!

The original Halloween (with a young Jamie Lee Curtis) is great as a teen slasher flick. Especially funny if you have seen all the "rules" deconstructed by Wes Craven's Scream franchise (IMHO the best example of modern slasher films). Stephen King adaptations such as Carrie and Christine are great examples of the genre as well.

The Hills have Eyes and The Wicker Man are really scary in an eerie, ominous way, The Ring (both the original and the remake) are genuinely terrifying, and The Exorcist is brilliant.

Exorcism was really good movie. There is another movie with the word "Slither" in its title. I can't think of the whole title name but the picture on the cover is someone in a bathtub and worms that look like tongues everywhere. That was a yucky movie.

1408 is another good one. The Mist.

Wolf Creek! Wolf Creek! Chainsaw massacre! :lol: Wrong turn and Saw 12345 are good :p
Happy Boxing Day

chainsaw massacre is good, but i'm realy into all those blood infected movies, like resident evil and 28 days/weeks later, and one of the best ones is I am legend.

i don't know if it's really that scary, but when i saw 28 Days Later at the movies it scared the ****** out of me. i was actually scared of the dark for a few days afterwards, and i was like 22 at the time.

13th ghost, amityville horror (the original),exocist,wolf creek,nightmare on elm street (1st) Jaws(1st) hider in the house....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back