Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW that that is a pretty intense moment :eek: it was interesting to read all of your symptoms though. Sounds like a shocking experience. Hope you feel better :)

WOW that that is a pretty intense moment :eek: it was interesting to read all of your symptoms though. Sounds like a shocking experience. Hope you feel better :)

The intense localised pain was the biggest surprise - was not expecting that. Thanks for your concern.

well at least u have a story to tell!

hope u get better soon!

regards
Paul

I thought there was 1 reported death from a RBBS. Alcohol and drugs were also involved and maybe autopsy classified it as drug more than snake.Spoke to tiger breeder 2 weeks ago and hey advised me when i stated i had found some near gisbourne in Vic.

wow, sorry to hear about that, cant imaigine how painfull that would have been! put some pics up of ur recovery hope ur feeling ok let us no how everything is

are u going to be feeding him again any time soon? id be to scared to if i had been bitten to do it again lol

I have0 a mate who got bitten by a rbbs only he was in the middle of the sticks and the one that got him was 4ft long and he bandaged it and had to deal with the pain he walked towards the car the first day 2nd day crook sore could not move spewing hand blown up 3rd day much of the same 4th day same thought he was going to die 5th day started to feel a bit better 6th Day made an attempt to walk to car 7th day got to car and back to town.
Recons 3rd 4th and 5th day just murged into each other bettween sleeping ( or passing out 1 of the 2 )

Recons the pain was emence

I have0 a mate who got bitten by a rbbs only he was in the middle of the sticks and the one that got him was 4ft long and he bandaged it and had to deal with the pain he walked towards the car the first day 2nd day crook sore could not move spewing hand blown up 3rd day much of the same 4th day same thought he was going to die 5th day started to feel a bit better 6th Day made an attempt to walk to car 7th day got to car and back to town.
Recons 3rd 4th and 5th day just murged into each other bettween sleeping ( or passing out 1 of the 2 )

Recons the pain was emence

Wow, that makes my experience sound weak - thanks for the story. My suffering was obviously nothing next to his. Also, if anybody was going to die after being bitten - it would have been him for sure. Hope he didnt have any long term side effects like loss of taste/smell etc!

wow, sorry to hear about that, cant imaigine how painfull that would have been! put some pics up of ur recovery hope ur feeling ok let us no how everything is

are u going to be feeding him again any time soon? id be to scared to if i had been bitten to do it again lol

When the strength has returned to my right hand, I will have another attempt for sure. I will wear welding gloves on BOTH hands this time.

When the strength has returned to my right hand, I will have another attempt for sure. I will wear welding gloves on BOTH hands this time.

Might even see if JOZZ is willing to pop down to help me (she's the pig tailed wonder - great girl)

G'day guys,

First of all, Red Bellies may not cause human death very often (if at all), but snake bite is not just a life/death situation. There are MANY other complications and effects that snake bite can cause. Just because a species isn't considered "lethal", doesn't mean it's OK or bareable to cop a bite from one. All venomous snake bites should be avoided as much as possible. I have had other herpers tear shreds off me for handling species like Yellow Faced Whip Snakes and Stephens Bandeds just like I would Western Browns or Tiger Snakes - at the end of the day I've had far less bites than they have.

Secondly, Lovemysnakes - you definitely have my respect for being so open and honest about how your bite occured. It is stories like yours that may prevent other keepers from being bitten. I must admit that I did cringe several times reading your post, and the series of events leading up to your bite were predictable (and common).

All in all, your post highlights to new or prospective elapid keepers that underestimating a snakes ability is common, and that even if you think you know what they are capable of, you may very well be wrong.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry about your steep learning curve!

P.S. Before anybody thinks they can drag my above post down by pointing out that I have been bitten - I was bitten in October last year by an adult Mulga Snake after a lapse in concentration whilst bagging it up. I spent three days in hospital and suffered a pretty severe Staph infection 8 weeks post bite.

Outta Control

That is out there.Lucky you live near a hospital.I do not have the kahuna's to have vens (yet)) but when I do I will remember this.I have young kids so vens are out of the question for me and the missus,I hope you have a speedy recovery and that it doesn't happen again.
Post some pics of the little offender and the bite site please.Lucky that is all I can say.
Would welders gloves be thick enough to handle a tag from a ven?

Thanks so much for letting us in on that - I have never read a story to what happens to people who get bitten.
Great insight into victoms of snake bites.

Glad you better now - never let your guard down I guess.:?

HI Lovemysnakes,

Firstly, I hope you are feeling much better.

Secondly, that is one of the most valuable & informative posts made on this site. Thanks so much for sharing and detailing your experience. It certainly is a completely different ball game keeping elapids compared to pythons.

All the best, hope you make a good recovery and I hope Otis gets his diet sorted.

WOW! :shock::shock: I am so glad it all turned out ok & cheers to you for sharing your story. Like Mrs I, I too, am amazed you got into Flinders so quick. They are not known for the speed at which you get through!! Take it easy & I wish you a speedy recovery. Maybe you should buy a X-Lotto ticket? :lol:;)

Lovemysnakes,
I too hope you are feeling alot better (or start to).

Good luck getting Otis' feeding! He better start, can't have a repeat of what just happened!

Glad to hear you're ok and no major damage done. Have you tried scenting with frogs (or starting up a small breeding colony of frogs so that you have a good supply of actual frogs to feed), might be a safer alternative than force feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back