Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could drop by with my "gloves of destiny" (Hexarmor hercules R8 gloves) if you'd like, they are supposed to be the closest thing you can get to bite "proof". I got them to use for my research work.

I for one am very glad you're telling us your story :) It's made for an awesome read. So glad you're ok! As a child, I had a rrb hatchie in a jar that I'd found on the road. My parents were stupidly under the assumption that it was dead until the school ruined my show and tell day by taking my very live snake away from me :( At the age of 7 I had a desperate need to handle snakes. I'm now very very thankful I wasn't bitten! I'm also very thankful that as an adult, neither the school nor my parents can take my beautiful snakes away from me ;) Your wife is obviously a very understanding woman also.

G'day guys,
All in all, your post highlights to new or prospective elapid keepers that underestimating a snakes ability is common, and that even if you think you know what they are capable of, you may very well be wrong.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry about your steep learning curve!

P.S. Before anybody thinks they can drag my above post down by pointing out that I have been bitten - I was bitten in October last year by an adult Mulga Snake after a lapse in concentration whilst bagging it up. I spent three days in hospital and suffered a pretty severe Staph infection 8 weeks post bite.

No wonder my friends wouldn't come near me while I was nursing one. Last week I saw someone free handling a brown and red belly & I dived in for my chance to hold them both. He wouldn't completely let go of the brown but I loved the red belly. He was crawling all over my shoulders and nosing into my shirt. I loved it but my friends roused at me and told me not to do that ever again :oops:

I am glad you are ok & that your red belly is too.

You are incredibly lucky to still be with us. One question, considering the fact that you have a beautiful son, and he almost lost you this time, how will that effect your snake keeping in the future? will you give up the vens till the kids are older?Is anyone else concerned about being taken out of play by pet vens? especially if your a parent with small kids around? Not saying that anyone shouldn't have vens around kids, but as we see here accidents can and do happen. {which is why i won't have vens around my kids.}
would love to hear opinions.

Sorry Pythoness, I didnt address any of your questions. Ok, future snake keeping...... it sure has got me thinking that's for sure. At this stage I dont think I would progress to anything more dangerous than a RBBS. As RBBS's are not considered fatal, I wont be giving up on this breed - maybe ever! Be interesting to read other APS members views on this subject like you say.GC

No wonder my friends wouldn't come near me while I was nursing one. Last week I saw someone free handling a brown and red belly & I dived in for my chance to hold them both. He wouldn't completely let go of the brown but I loved the red belly. He was crawling all over my shoulders and nosing into my shirt. I loved it but my friends roused at me and told me not to do that ever again :oops:

I am glad you are ok & that your red belly is too.

Ta for your input and concern Kathy and Tim

G'day guys,

First of all, Red Bellies may not cause human death very often (if at all), but snake bite is not just a life/death situation. There are MANY other complications and effects that snake bite can cause. Just because a species isn't considered "lethal", doesn't mean it's OK or bareable to cop a bite from one. All venomous snake bites should be avoided as much as possible. I have had other herpers tear shreds off me for handling species like Yellow Faced Whip Snakes and Stephens Bandeds just like I would Western Browns or Tiger Snakes - at the end of the day I've had far less bites than they have.

Secondly, Lovemysnakes - you definitely have my respect for being so open and honest about how your bite occured. It is stories like yours that may prevent other keepers from being bitten. I must admit that I did cringe several times reading your post, and the series of events leading up to your bite were predictable (and common).

All in all, your post highlights to new or prospective elapid keepers that underestimating a snakes ability is common, and that even if you think you know what they are capable of, you may very well be wrong.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry about your steep learning curve!

P.S. Before anybody thinks they can drag my above post down by pointing out that I have been bitten - I was bitten in October last year by an adult Mulga Snake after a lapse in concentration whilst bagging it up. I spent three days in hospital and suffered a pretty severe Staph infection 8 weeks post bite.

Hey Jonno,Superb input - I thank you for that. Some wise words of wisdom for all APS Members.GC

Glad to hear you're ok and no major damage done. Have you tried scenting with frogs (or starting up a small breeding colony of frogs so that you have a good supply of actual frogs to feed), might be a safer alternative than force feeding?

Yep tried that - tried everything - am at my wits end with him. Doesnt stop me loving him though. I hope he makes it through winter! Thanks for the suggestions.

do u have a pic of little otis? would love to see :)

I don't understand why you're telling the whole world.

I think its great that people can share their experiences like that. Helps other people make decisions too I reckon. If I had read this before I handled one last week maybe I would have thought twice about being so stupid. The difference between Joe Blow and I is that Joe would have done it gloat and big note themselves where I just love the animals, but the end result of a bite is the same.

As I said in my previous post, this is a very valuable post, with a lot of worthwhile information, something all genuine snake keepers can learn something from. He hasn't worded his post as a 'Oh wow, I got tagged by a RBBS, aren't I great' it is a very well worded and informative post.

I don't know why you would ask that question.

I remember Tony Harrison telling me that he couldnt stand the taste of beer for a year after he was bitten by a RBBS. I hope you don't have the same side effect that he did.

WHAT???? Geez, I might have to put my RBBS ownership aspirations on hold if that is the case, lol

i wish i had rbbs it would be cool

I don't get it. He's written an informative post about he's experience that will be of good help to anyone wishing to keep vens or as a reminder to those how keep them. I found no part of he's post to be of a boasting nature.

Come on Tatelina, you are a part of the herp world, the bite gossip will get out and there will be speculation and the story will get out of hand. Full of fancy wonderous additions, every Ven keeper will be named as the person bitten, and every person that names those people will have had the information from a 'good source'.

What Lovemysnakes has done here is just cut out the all knowing, all self important middle men and given us all the news first hand.

Or he ruined a good gossip session, whichever way you want to look at it. ;)

:D

The fact that you have copped a hit makes everything you have just said more credible. I don't like knowing people have been bitten, but i certainly like to know the events leading up to the bite. Glad to know your well now.

And you to lovemysnakes, i have been told that a RBBS is one of the most painful bites to cop. Hopefully, there are no complications such as muscle/flesh deterioration etc. Glad your on the road to recovery.

I remember Tony Harrison telling me that he couldnt stand the taste of beer for a year after he was bitten by a RBBS. I hope you don't have the same side effect that he did.

Hmmmm, interesting. I cant seem to take anything hot or minty at the moment. Cleaning my teeth nearly blows my head off at the moment. I used Listerine without thinking this mornng. It ended up being sprayed all over the mirror.

As I said in my previous post, this is a very valuable post, with a lot of worthwhile information, something all genuine snake keepers can learn something from. He hasn't worded his post as a 'Oh wow, I got tagged by a RBBS, aren't I great' it is a very well worded and informative post.

I don't know why you would ask that question.

I don't know why you think all genuine snake keepers can learn something from this post. Each to their own. We're all allowed our opinion. :)

I'm not condemming this thread. Good on you for being honest (yes Wrasse I can completely see where you're coming from in your post) and I'm sure alot of people will find it interesting...so continue with this thread and ignore my posts!

But personally I still don't understand completely... mabye it's because I think what you did was very silly. I mean...did you really think wearing a glove was going to eliminate most risk of getting bitten?!
I know about so many other (succesful) ways of getting tricky elapids to eat and have witnessed many assist and force feeds to think for myself that I would never do it the way you did.
But hey... I'm just a newb and don't know what I'm talking about.

I don't know why you think all genuine snake keepers can learn something from this post. Each to their own. We're all allowed our opinion. :)

I'm not condemming this thread. Good on you for being honest (yes Wrasse I can completely see where you're coming from in your post) and I'm sure alot of people will find it interesting...so continue with this thread and ignore my posts!

But personally I still don't understand completely... mabye it's because I think what you did was very silly. I mean...did you really think wearing a glove was going to eliminate most risk of getting bitten?!
I know about so many other (succesful) ways of getting tricky elapids to eat and have witnessed many assist and force feeds to think for myself that I would never do it the way you did.
But hey... I'm just a newb and don't know what I'm talking about.

A fair comeback Tatelina. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back