Housing Beardies and Water Dragons togethor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patto

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi, im wondering if it's alright to house these two species togethor in an outdoor enclosure?

well if im not mistaken they both live in this area

:p Yeah patto aslong as the pit is big enough with lots of places to hide n climb there shouldnt be any probs.Breeding times another story as daddies like bubs & wont hesitate to snap up a feed.If your going to do a big pit id look at throwing some bluis,cunnies n turts for the ultimate pit. ;)
Im talkin eastern species this is.

cheers popp :p

How big would a pit need to be to hold beardies and eastern water dragons together?

We have them together in a big outdoor pit with no probs, just make sure you have a few food bowls put in differnet locations as the water dragons can be real pigs and will take over when it comes to eating!!!
Also make sure no babies are born in there as well as the water dragons will gobble them up!

Yes both from same area one inland one coastal one likes dry one likes wet, bad husbandry to house different species together but do as you will

She ok i agree if your talking a vitty n a gippy but beardies as in eastern barbata are found along the coast of nsw in the exact same habitats as the eastern water dragon.

cheers popp

What are you talking about?

Plently of people keep different species together in an outside pit. There are plently of compatible animals. At Taronga Zoo they have Blueys, Babarta and Land Mullet in an out door enclosure.

Eastern beardies and EWD both come from around the same area "Shewhomustbeobeyed" :roll: , so i dont see any problem in keeping them together.

Cheers Alex

You wouldnt
Look into whar happens when Beardies come out of brumation
Do some thorough research :!:

ok genius, what does happen when beardies come out of Burmation other that eat, run around and mate?

Maybe you should proof read your posts to make sure they make sense...

Cheers Alex

Patto, yes Water dragons and beardeds can be kept together in pits. I'm from the Illawarra area and i have kept common blueys, blotched blueys, eastern beardeds and water dragons together all year round in an outdoor pit. Also, i know of 2 other keepers located in south Sydney who keep Inland beardeds(vitticeps) outside in pits with the above mentioned species without problems. I have found that beardeds like to pick on the water dragons a bit, though.

But overall, Eastern waters, Gippsland waters, barbata and vitticeps beardeds, and common and blotched blueys all do well together outside (even through winter) in the Sydney/south Sydney area. Just make the pit no less than 4mx4m.

The beardies can be bullys. I knew a guy who had little space and had some juvie monitors and juvie beardies in the same tank and the beardies kept acting tough and gobbling all the food while the monitors hid.

ether said:
ok genius, what does happen when beardies come out of Burmation other that eat, run around and mate?

Maybe you should proof read your posts to make sure they make sense...

Cheers Alex
Well excuse me
Brumation is like a "hibernation lite". When the weather starts to turn cold and the days get shorter, Beardies know their food supply will dwindle. In response to these changes as well as changes in barometric pressure that they can sense, many Beardies will opt to slow down their metabolism. They eat less and sleep a lot more. They are less active and may just find a dark place and sleep most of the winter. Sometimes females will slow down at the end of the breeding season as well. Occasionally they may wake up, poke their head out and even bask, only to return to their restful sleep. Because of their slowed metabolism, their lack of eating does not affect their weight to any marked degree. A Beardie may go for several months without eating and only lose a few grams.

Care to proof read

Well excuse me
Brumation is like a "hibernation lite". When the weather starts to turn cold and the days get shorter, Beardies know their food supply will dwindle. In response to these changes as well as changes in barometric pressure that they can sense, many Beardies will opt to slow down their metabolism. They eat less and sleep a lot more. They are less active and may just find a dark place and sleep most of the winter. Sometimes females will slow down at the end of the breeding season as well. Occasionally they may wake up, poke their head out and even bask, only to return to their restful sleep. Because of their slowed metabolism, their lack of eating does not affect their weight to any marked degree. A Beardie may go for several months without eating and only lose a few grams.

Care to proof read

How does that have anything to do with keeping EWD and Babarta together? I know what burmation is...

I have kept Easern beardeds, water dragons and eastern bluies in outdoor pits (large above ground swimming pool size) for several years with no problems relating to general keeping. Only problem that arises is when young are born in cage, can be eaten, simply remove gravid animals beforehand to avoid this

Keeping differnt species together

Almost all species of reptiles are solitary animals. Housing several of the same species together creates a very stressful environment for them. Mature types of lizards and snakes should never be housed together, due to the very real risk of fighting.

Keywords: territorial, stress, lizard, dominance, aggression,

When we think of reptiles, we may picture in our minds those ancient dinosaurs, often portrayed in a group, grazing or hunting. However, modern reptiles are not normally found in a group; they are usually quite solitary creatures that only manage to come together from the urge to reproduce. This solitary nature of reptiles can pose a problem when the reptile enthusiast wishes to own more than one of a species, or several different species.
To minimize stress upon captive reptiles, it is best to keep them housed individually in most cases. Many species are very territorial. Even juveniles will often gesture and display towards cagemates at an early age. Dragons are also very territorial. Males housed in the same cage may fight, or the more aggressive may assert his dominance in more subtle ways, keeping the subordinate one away from food and water. Male lizards should never be housed together, if at all possible.

ether said:
Well excuse me

Care to proof read

How does that have anything to do with keeping EWD and Babarta together? I know what burmation is...

Depending on the clomate in the area you could end up with a beardie icypole

So you are saying that all people who keep reptiles together in outdoor reptile pits are stressing out their animals and as a result are worse off?

I can assure that there are 100's of keepers that keep reptiles together without any problems. Keeping reptiles outside with other reptiles provides the most correct emulation of their native habitat and i am sure that most are better off for it.

Cheers Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back