Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craigc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a female bredli, she hatched around 3-4months ago. I also own a female stimson, also the same age - give or take a few weeks. I have the bredli in a container in the same enclosure as my stimson, they do not have direct contact with each other but I'm sure that they know they are there. Well my question is, can I house them together? remembering that they are the same sex.

I think you can craig ( every snake i have bought has lived with eachover). even if they were opposite sex they are not sexually mature to reproduce. But you have to be careful as snakes cane be very agressive to eachover and may fight. You have to be ready to seperate them for the first thew weeks minimum. These are my thoughts anyway.

I wouldn't risk it craig, unless you think your bredli needs feeding up as this is more than likely what will happen in the future, regardless of what sex they are. Maybe if they were a diamond or carpet they would be okay and you could separate them at breeding age, but I think it would be sad to lose one or the other.
kind regards
meg

just a bit of topic, I was at my herp meeting last night and a member that I previously sold 3, 6month old mountain dragons to, told me that two had died. Considering the work that went into raising this guys (they are extremely small and will only eat insects), I was quite dissapointed though offered to replace with some animals this breeding season.
He then proceeded to tell me that the remaining dragon was quite happy as he was sharing an enclosure with their water dragon. Imagine if you will, a pittbull sharing an enclosure with a rabbit and this is comparable to size difference/disposition of animals involved.

Although some people think that we only breed animals for the money involved, alot of us put our hearts into breeding a new species of animal, and can be pretty devastating when you sell an animal, only to have someone shrug off its demise.

python_guy44 said:
I think you can craig ( every snake i have bought has lived with eachover). even if they were opposite sex they are not sexually mature to reproduce. But you have to be careful as snakes cane be very agressive to eachover and may fight. You have to be ready to seperate them for the first thew weeks minimum. These are my thoughts anyway.

Jeremy with all due respect I would be more worried of canaballism than the chance that they would breed with each other. How many pythons/species have you kept together in the same enclosure?
Just another quick suggestion Craig, why not just keep them in the same enclosure as you are doing in separate habitat enclosure for the first year as they will be quite happy and by this time you should be able to set up a separate tank for one or the other.
cheers
meg

That is sad olivaceus. It must be so good after you have put alot of hard work to see that the little guys are getting a new home. thenm for the guy to tell you 2/3 of them died. may i ask what of or didnt he tell you.

I would say that the water dragon scared the living daylights out of them, as a 6 month old mountain dragon is only about a 1/4 the size of a new born beardie, with a water dragon being around ten times bigger..........

I wouldn't try it. If you have 2 enclosures why bother.

I know exactly what you mean Meg I love hearing about animals that i've sold esspecially a few years down the line.
People that think breeding is done only for money are just jealous, i breed reptiles cause i love doing it and the money i get out of it helps me pay for food and other expenses for my collection and i basically don't have to pay to keep my snakes healthy. :)

If ya ask me craigc i wouldnt even think of housing them together. I hav had experiences of snake eating snake (lucky enough i got there at the right time and pulled him out of her throat). Trust me its not fun to find ur pets eating each other and being 2 different species i think would increase the risk.

My Gott! That is some spectacularly bad advice Jeremy.
Keeping different species is a recipe for disaster Craig.
It is good that you asked first, It shows that you are willing to listen to others (just be careful who you listen to).
I have kept snakes in small snap lock containers inside another snakes enclosure.In fact I have some like that at the moment.
This is the better option by far and my advice would be to stick with that or save up for another enclosure.
It is possible to keep different species together........but one day you may wake up and only find one very fat snake instead of two.
I would hate to see that happen to anyone.

im sorry i wont try to contribute in future if i dont know 100% of info.
sorry if i mislead you craig im farly new aswell :D

Jeremy isn't totally wrong i've kept different species together over the years but they have all been closely related, diamonds and carpets or stimsons and Macs etc and all have been around the same size and nothing happened.
I only did this if i was out of room or something and it's was for no longer than a couple of days.
It can be done but it isn't worth risking an animal esspecially if you don't need to.

I reakon there would be a lot of size difference between a stimpson a small snake species and a bredli a carpet python alot larger i think the stimson wil be scared to death or eaten

Just to labour the point there have been snakes of the same species housed together eating each other (BHP's are notorious regarding this).
I wouldn't house then together at all despite people telling you that they have done it safely. Also the two snakes that you have will get to quite disparite size relatively quickly and that is also an issue as to when a snake thinks its room mate is dinner.

Cheers Hawkeye

I would like to thank everyone for there replys. It seems that alot of people wouldn't house different snakes together, so I think I will keep the bredli in a container in the enclosure with my stimson until I make a proper enclosure for her. Thanks again for everyones input.

Cheers!

Probably not the best idea but there are some species that you can house together such as coastal and diamonds and childrens with stimies etc.
Probably best to keep him the plastic container for safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back