Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are they male and female, or same sex?
male females except where two breeds are together like diamond carpets are all females so as no unwanted crosses. All vens are male female.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I come live in your outdoor aviary too Wrightpython? Sounds awesome!

I got in trouble the last time i locked someone in there, i mean let someone in of there own free will. Its hard to keep the daughter out of there hence the reason why the rbb got taken out

If the new one is about the same size and same breed I would say it should be ok. I have my 2 macs together and feed them together, but I sit with a hook and watch them til they are both finished eating.... if one finishes first then starts showing interest in the other ones num nums, I just keep it away with the hook. As soon as the food has disappeared, there is no drama at all.;)

I dont go along with all this hoo ha about little snakes being 'stressed' in a large enclosure :rolleyes: Why do they escape then? If they were 'stressed' in anything bigger than a click clack.... why would they escape from it into a great big room? Plenty of hides is the key, just like the op has.;)

I have to take you to task on the "hoo ha" you mention CR... Smaller snakes CAN indeed become stressed and stop feeding to the point of starvation if they are housed in enclosures which are too large. Virtually every breeder and professional keeper will tell you this because they have, like me, experienced it first hand. Sometimes it's fine, very often it's not, so the broad rule is that you'll have a more settled and secure animal in an enclosure that gives the animal a sense of security. Your question about escape has a simple answer - they don't leave their enclosure because they are looking for wide open spaces - they leave their enclosure for any number of reasons, and they usually go from one confined space to another asap - you don't see them lying out in the middle of the carpet when they do get out, except at night when the lights are out and all is quiet in the house.

Jamie

PI, I am not talking about from hatching from the egg til when they are ready to go to a new home, I mean when a new owner gets a hatchie (few months old or so) home, they have a nice enclosure ready for the new snake, they want to put the young snake in the nice enclosure, but are told they have to leave it in a click clack for 6 more months..... thats why I reckon put the click clack with its lid off/open in the secure larger enclosure (with lots of hides) and the young snake can park its self wherever it feels more 'at home'. I bet it wont be in the click clack ;)

Of course, breeders havent got a larger enclosure for every hatchie, and it is absolutely normal and far more efficient for you guys to keep hatchies in chinese containers or something like that.... it is just the done thing.

I am only speaking from my experience. I bought home a 4-5 month old MDP and put it straight into a 65x35x35 glass enclosure with a decent hide at the warm end and a towel roll at the cool end..... It did and is still doing really well, it is a year old now.

The only time he looks stressed is when I am too slow giving him his rat :lol:

:D
PI, I am not talking about from hatching from the egg til when they are ready to go to a new home, I mean when a new owner gets a hatchie (few months old or so) home, they have a nice enclosure ready for the new snake, they want to put the young snake in the nice enclosure, but are told they have to leave it in a click clack for 6 more months..... thats why I reckon put the click clack with its lid off/open in the secure larger enclosure (with lots of hides) and the young snake can park its self wherever it feels more 'at home'. I bet it wont be in the click clack ;)

Of course, breeders havent got a larger enclosure for every hatchie, and it is absolutely normal and far more efficient for you guys to keep hatchies in chinese containers or something like that.... it is just the done thing.

I am only speaking from my experience. I bought home a 4-5 month old MDP and put it straight into a 65x35x35 glass enclosure with a decent hide at the warm end and a towel roll at the cool end..... It did and is still doing really well, it is a year old now.

The only time he looks stressed is when I am too slow giving him his rat :lol:
I just had a rbb hatchie come into the house so it seems they do like smaller spaces.:D Notice how its always breeders that will tell you they prefer to be in the smallest container possible, what a joke, my childreni always double in size in half the time when in a larger enclosure, it's seems like they use there nutrient from food in a different way and they are always hungry in large enclosure compared to a small tub. I've made my hatchie racks as 20 ltr containers this year give them more floor room plus height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back