How big is this carpet???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonesanlainie

Reaction score
Hi,

I took this picture the other day and was trying to work out how big this Brisbane Carpet was (morelia spilota mcdowelli). The ruler is a wooden 30cm ruler for scale. If I use the actual markings on the ruler (timber length is about 10mm longer than 30cm) or if I just use the timber itself I get different readings on the photo measuring tool. Anyone want to post what they think and I can use the average? Any help is appreciated. She is getting too big to acturately use a piece of string.

Thanks kindly :)Picture 237.jpg

just wait till she shed and get a rough reading off the sloathed shin then minus 5%.
id say she is about 150cm, just say 5 foot...

just wait till she shed and get a rough reading off the sloathed shin then minus 5%.
id say she is about 150cm, just say 5 foot...

It looks bigger than 150cms in the picture. I've seen it in the flesh, its a large snake, easily pushing 8ft.

Last edited:
I would have said 8 foot... she appears about 8 ruler lengths... that would be about 8 foot.

Get some wool, ten foot of it xD... use it to get her length then get a measuring tape to measure the wool/string. I say wool because wool is the most flexible and easily and quickly moved into place.

I get 277cm from the snakemeasurer program. Tis ok no one would believe she is that big anyhow!!...lol

Get some wool, ten foot of it xD... use it to get her length then get a measuring tape to measure the wool/string. I say wool because wool is the most flexible and easily and quickly moved into place.
Yeah I agree is the only way to get a reliabel measurement, but she prefers to be elusive and mysterious....lol In actual fact I found the string/wool less acurate as I need it to be along her central line, or at least just one side of her body. Her moving meant my technique was not reliable, that is why thought it would be interesting to see what people thought on here :)

well by measuring that the blue square in the middle of your carpet is about 700mm across.
and using Nuetens theory or relativity :)
i get she is about 210cm or a bit bigger..

Bloody people making me think this late at night..

If done properly string is the best method, most acurate. I doubt the reading from the measuring program is correct. My water python (females) will eat yours ;) the world keeps on turning.

well by measuring that the blue square in the middle of your carpet is about 700mm across.
and using Nuetens theory or relativity :)
i get she is about 210cm or a bit bigger..

Bloody people making me think this late at night..

Yeah the blue square is about 700mm accross. I still get around 275cm using that as a guide as well. I think I will have to use the string method to verify things.

i agree with the 8 ruler lengths, plus maybe half a length to make up for the bends.... 8.5 foot. just use string its not rocket science and im sure you dont need to know the length to the exact milimetre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back