How big?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
Ok, I know that carpets can eat a big meal and can stretch to hold a big meal, but how much bigger than them can the meal be? My carpet is a year old and almost 3 feet. and as fat a a middle finger(insert Afric comment here). I am going to try to feed her a 5 inch long rat as wide around as a gatorade container cover. Is this too big?
Moses

Without knowing how big your finger is, or what size a gatorade cover is it's hard to say. I try to go by weight more than size by looking at it. I generally stay around 20% of the snakes body weight, however I have gone as far as 40% before with a rat and a ball python. It's amazing just how big they are capable of choking down. With that said, it's not usually considered a good practice to drastically overstuff your snake. It can cause problems with digestion, although I think these might be overstated on occasion.

All in all, the snake will decide for itself if it's too big. I say give it a shot, but if it really bulges the snake out, don't make a habit of it.

I have read that a snake can eat something 3 times the width of their head however I have seen snakes eat meal much biggewr than this. What is your reason for wanting to feed your snake such a big meal? As a general rule I just feed my snake a meal so that once they have swollowed it leaves a small bulge in the midsection.
Is it too big - if it is too big the snake wont eat it.

Well almaron she swallowed 3/4 of it then decided it was to big and chucked it. Will get a smaller size soon this was the only size the pet shop had in. Thanks for the reply whaa, the reason was that was all the shop had, will wait next time.
Moses

I subscribe to the 20 to 25% of the snakes body weight just as Almaron does.
There is also a line of thought were they say that the prey item should be no thicker than 110% of the snakes girth at its thickest point.

Sounds like it was pushing it, eh? Maybe for the better then that she didn't keep it down. I hear ya' on the petshop thing. Seems like every time I go looking for a particular sized rat or mouse, they have everything but what I want. That's one reason why I breed my own now. Other main reason would be that I don't much trust petshop feeders, or their source. Too many unknowns and potential problems.

I've read somewhat conflicting ideas about the girth thing. Some say about the same size as the thickest part of each (which would be in the neighborhood of your %110 Fangs), and then others say only enough to cause slight bulge once swallowed. There are certainly a few schools of thought on feeding. Some say one big item, while others say multiple smaller items. I don't really know that there is a right or wrong, or any one definitive answer.

I personally lean toward one prey item about 20% by weight, which usually works out pretty close to the same size, or slightly larger, by girth. Seems when I feed what seems a reasonable size, none of my snakes want a second item when offered.

At a guess without seeing your carpet moses I would be inclined to be feeding rats that were only slightly larger than full grown mice.Perhaps 2 or 3 per feeding every 7 to 8 days.That is providing it is an average size for its age.

ok, Thanks for all the input, I will try thr 2-3 per feeding and see how it works out Fangs.
Moses

Just try it, if it's to big it won't eat it, thats the easiest way, don't let anyone tell you snakes can choke on a big meal!

Simon_Archibald said:
...it would be detrimental to it's health. It would take forever for it to digest as well.

Like I said in my original post, sometimes people get carried away and overstate/exaggerate things. :roll:

geesh if u guys knew what size mice my little guy eats you'd be accusing me of attempted murder!
i thought they liked a good stretch every now and then - makes em feel full!
but i must say, i dunno how big your middle finger is but mine would fit about 3 times across a gatorade lid which does sound a bit too big! :D

OMG Zoe!!!!!! :shock: How "totally irresponsible" of you! Shame, shame, shame on you.

:wink:

Isn't a Gatoraid top only about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. That's not too big for a snake of that size. My baby Bredli are about 6months old and they'd have no problem with that.

Graham

:p Simon i think you are way outa line,people that feed live prey do it for enjoyment what a joke.You go on bout doing best thing for the snake how many wild snakes get thawed feed,aswell i will say id rather a snake feeding on LIVE prey over a dead snake any day.Maybe think b4 you speak in future as your comments are not only offencive but unfounded aswell. :p

have to agree with geoff, many a times my snakes have gone off feed, solution LIVE PREY....not gonna hurt the animal etc...and buggered if i do it for personal enjoyment (though it is rather good to watch).

and if you saw the size rat my 18 month old coastal eat...you`d probably call NPWS on me, coz by god they are huge :p

cheers
STP

Whick brings me back to a Q. that never got answered. If you resort to live food for a fussy snake thats eaten frozen/thawed its whole life, are they likely to refuse frozen/thawed ever after? Are they difficult like that? what arepeoples experience of this please because im considering it. I already tried live mice but they were ignored, probly as someone suggested, because they were to small. so now i'm stuck with 2 pet mice because i cant bring myself to kill anything directly. I'm not sure about trying live rat{$10-12 around here each}expensive meal. but if it gets him eating ok. on the other hand, i dont want to put him off frozen/thawed OR be stuck with a live rat! opinions please, and be kind to oneanother eh! :wink:

:p Wattso from my experience ive had snakes that refuse thawed but once eating on live prey soon convert back to thawed.My theory is once a snakes feeding then you can try switch back over to thawed & generally they will quite easily.I do reckomend when feeding live rats especially to never leave un attended as thats when injuries can occur. :p

Thanx popp, I would never leave a live animal untended mate, the neighbours cat is particularly viscious! LMAO............seriously but, how should i go about live food intro? how long to allow encounter etc? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back