How long can a snake stay under water?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noah2112

Reaction score
Stupid question but my water python like to just chill under water for quite awhile.... So yeah I was just wondering how long or do you're snakes do this? Thanks

well the longest ive sat and watched and my water python under water is 25mins...

Wow thanks a lot mine loves the water a lot of people I know said they don't normally go in the water

I have watched wild diamond python submerged for several days, I don't mean it was not able to breathe I mean almost its entire body was in the water and it was leaving its head above.

Our Burmese and Retics love the water
Sometimes we get worried about how long they stay totally submerged and unmoving
We think our record for a Burmese is 65 minutes
But hard to watch all the time so may be incorrect
They dont even gasp for air
Just a set of nostrils and back down very quietly

Stupid question but my water python like to just chill under water for quite awhile.... So yeah I was just wondering how long or do you're snakes do this? Thanks
and no, i dont think this is a stupid question, im quite interested in some of the answers...

I just watched a Nat Geo Wild show on the Green Anacondas in South America, they said they can stay submerged for up to 20 mins, I'm guessing our Pythons would be similar?

I can understand if you're a bit worried, my Water python is the same. She will stay underwater for ages, especially when she's in shed. I have never timed her, but on multiple occasions she has stayed underwater for well over an hour. Its perfectly natural for snakes to do that, especially aquatic snakes like Anacondas and Water pythons.

Anacondas are boas so I asssume the body structure, lung capacity etc is different

Yes, I am aware of that, Anaconda actually translates into Water boa.
And yes, Boas are naturally wider across than pythons, so their lungs may well be wider and thus have a larger capacity.

Remember to keep the humidity up, Water pythons often have REALLY bad sheds if there is not enough humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back