Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many years have you been keeping?

• less than 6 months

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 22 12.4%
  • 2-4 years

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • 4-6 years

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • 6-8 years

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • 8-10 years

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • 10-20 years

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • 20 years+

Votes: 23 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
kept blueys and diamonds when i was 6. had carpets rbb's and whippys and mostly wild caught elapids till i got my licence bout 5 yrs ago.

Does catching garden skinks as a kid and keeping them in huge bowls with lots of grass count? :p

hehe I hope not cause if so I clicked the wrong button! :shock:

I caught skinks since I knew I had hands, I wanted snakes since grade 4 when I first held one in the flesh (reptile farm thing came to the school. my sis - the school captain - nominated me to hold the childrens cause she thought it would be funny. i think she regretted it ever since! :lol:) and finally talked my mum into letting me get one (aka applying for licence and buying a pair of bredli behind her back) a whopping 11 years later! :eek: but at least i have my beauties now! :D

-Penny

legally I have kept snakes for almost 3 years but have always been fasinated with them since I was very young 5 years old or so. I've removed plenty wild ones from peoples chicks cages and peoples yards nothing venomouse though and releast them since I was in high school.
Just love them

kept alot of lizards that I managed to save from the cats since I was in primary school so does that count?

i have only had my licence just over a year but started keeping when i was 8-9yrs old, caught turtles, blueys, beardies etc when it was legal to do so

It's been just over a year for me... would have been a lot, lot longer if my mum would have let me get a python all those years ago when I used to pester her relentlessly. :( How I wish I had a cool mum! I had to buy my own place and then save up for them!

WOW there is really a distinct pattern, peaks about 4 years ago

3 years :D
although I also caught garden skinks when I was little (never kept them tho) I also had a colony of eastern water skinks that lived in a small hole in my wall when we were at our old house when I was young lol

Last edited:
about 3 months.
and thanks to this forum i've really learnt alot.

thanks everyone.

Interesting poll. Got my permit when i was 12, sold all my reptiles at 18, started keeping again at 22 and tuning 30 this year, all together been keeping 10>20 years

Got my coastal carpet python as a present for my birthday which was on april the 3rd 2007.So less then six months.

AmAzing the others that commented on keeping skinks in tubs/jars as kids I did that to, but the parents wouldn't let me have a snake then got married and she hates them too.Finally broke her about a year ago when she got me one for xmas. Hopefully will have them the rest of my life.

ill add another

have always been keen on reptiles, as when i was a kid i lived near the Aussie reptile park
but dew to un fun parants, wasnt allowed to keep snakes. i have my own place now n family and hav finally started my collection ,am looking forwed to when i can own my very own pair of copperheads or tigers

dnt mind the RBBs either
(got my snake and licence 1 week yestiday)

G'day guys,

I have been legally keeping reptiles since I was 13, so that is coming up to 8 years very soon. Like most kids, I kept garden skinks in a fish tank. I always made sure they had plenty of grass, I'm not sure why.

I also remember keeping a young Shortneck turtle in a styrofoam esky when I was young. Styrofoam eskies + turtle claws = turtle searches every day after school. We found the turtle after we were walking barefoot down a local creek, and the little bugger bit me when I stood on him. Unfortunately Mr Turtle met his demise when a similar incident occured with a rather large crayfish. Using an 8 year olds logic, I figured they both lived in the same creek together, so why not live in a styrofoam esky? Well, that question was answered a few days later when I found Mr Crayfish with a firm grip on Mr Turtles neck.

Mr Crayfish tasted good.

Cheers

Jonno

Had our Olive for 3 months, about 10 years ago we had a couple of eastern water dragons.
Kept a few tiger snakes, blue tongues and skinks as a kid.

Per

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back