How many people keep reptiles off license?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thyla

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of doing market research which requires me to estimate how many lizards/snakes/frogs etc. are being kept privately. It is all good and well to find the official numbers but as everyone knows, there are a percentage of people who either have a license and keep other animals off license, or have no license at all for keeping them.

Does anyone have any rough numbers or percentages for this undocumented market sector (who would still need reptile accessories etc.)?

All input is welcome and if possible (although not required), please state how you have come to these figures.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure as to how anyone could work out these figures, it would be interesting to know though.
Let us know what figures you come up with.

I come up with none as that would be illegal and no one on this site ever has or ever will do anything illegal.

I come up with none as that would be illegal and no one on this site ever has or ever will do anything illegal.

That's not entirely true. In the ACT there are 5 exempt species that don't require a license, therefore quite a few reptile keepers in Canberra don't have a license.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am in the process of doing market research which requires me to estimate how many lizards/snakes/frogs etc. are being kept privately. It is all good and well to find the official numbers but as everyone knows, there are a percentage of people who either have a license and keep other animals off license, or have no license at all for keeping them.

Does anyone have any rough numbers or percentages for this undocumented market sector (who would still need reptile accessories etc.)?

All input is welcome and if possible (although not required), please state how you have come to these figures.

Thanks in advance

Living in Western Sydney, roughly 8/10 reptile keepers I personally meet, keep reptiles off licence or don't have a licence at all.

Good luck with your study, but I dont really think many aps members would be stupid enough to publicly state what they or thier aquaintences might or might not have illegally in thier keep.... That would be public self incrimination.... or dobbing in a mate.....

So, what is this 'market research' in regards to?

No ratbag thats not quite true ---- i have 3 off licence blue tounges ,all in the back yard :lol: been here since i bought the house never fed or watered them so you could also acuse me of neglect . but they are 3 of the healthyest looking lizards around :D

Same, I have coastals coming out of my ears up here.... but if they choose to live in my shed (or keep coming back when I evict them) that is up to them..... I am not 'keeping' them..... same as you are not keeping the 3 blueys ;)

Id say over half of reptiles that are kept are off licence, Similar to how people fish without a fishing licence. Only thing i think that keeps people doing it legally is the fact that they can buy alot more varietys

thank you Thyla for updating your information. thread is re-opened.

Funny you should mention this. I recently met some who does have a python and doesn't have a license. I was a bit shocked; his general attitude was " aw a mate gave him to me when he was a sick little hatchie and didn't expect it to live". Well, the snake got lots of food, love and shelter and it has thrived and is doing very nicely, some ten years later. Now he is wanting to sell the snake but how on earth he can do this I do not know and what are the ramifications of obtaining such a snake from this situation? Do you agree to buy it and then "register" it or something? I understand the original situation was illegal.. but ten years on.. (have the laws changed in ten years maybe?) how do you "make it right"? It's not like someone who collects dozens of snakes from the wild or doesn't look after them properly. Sorry if this is a sticky question, but if you don't ask, you won't learn.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I think you would be very hard pressed to find the answers you are looking for, Are you also trying to factor in non native reptiles that still require reptile supplies? (I gather you are trying to do market research on reptile accessories, not the reptiles themselves?)

But if this is the case what about native reptiles that people keep where they don't really use accessories? I think Waterrat was using outdoor mesh enclosures for GTP's which (I may be wrong) didn't require any heating.

Either way I've heard stories that a lot of people keep non natives (both with licenses and without) or natives off license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back